Sponsored

Entry / ingress into R1 is not that easy

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

i had a chance to visit the Venice Hub this weekend. saw both the R1T and R1S which was awesome. amazing vehicles to see in person. the hub itself is really cool and staff there are super friendly and helpful like everyone has said before. one guy wanted to give me a test drive on the spot but i was between errands and couldn't take him up on the offer.

anyways, one thing that i did notice was it was not easy to get into the vehicle. it was a standard ride height. we then moved it to lowest height and that helped but still harder than i thought it'd be and i doubt id be in lowest ride height for day to day use. i immediately reached for where i thought i grab handle should be on the A pillar but nothing there.

im 5'9, anyone who owns the vehicle and is about that tall find that you get used to it? what height do you keep it at?
Sponsored

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340, Tesla M3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

Same height as you and definitely have trouble getting in at standard height haha. Iā€™m used to it now, but I just put one leg up and use the steering wheel to hoist myself in.

As mentioned in other chats, definitely would love a ā€œsquatā€ mode for entry/exit.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

As someone who is 6'5", it's perfect! That said, my kids do have a tough time getting in and out of the back.

Sponsored

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
It needs running boards....
Got a 4 runner rental this week. The running boards are a blessing.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

As someone who is 6'5", it's perfect! That said, my kids do have a tough time getting in and out of the back.
I tend to agree with the caveat that while it's easy for me to get in and out at Standard height, I do worry about the thigh bolster on the seat breaking down over time from sliding my leg over it to get out. In a theoretical kneel mode, I can get it without having to slide my leg over the bolster.

In a perfect world, there would be a kneel mode that is able to be configured to the driver's profile.

Last edited:

proto

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alfa Romeo Stelvio, Lincoln MKC
Same height as you and definitely have trouble getting in at standard height haha. Iā€™m used to it now, but I just put one leg up and use the steering wheel to hoist myself in.

As mentioned in other chats, definitely would love a ā€œsquatā€ mode for entry/exit.
Kneel mode is in the software roadmap.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I have the R1T, I'm 6'0 and it's about the same as most full size trucks to hop in to it. If you aren't used to trucks, it is going to be an adjustment for sure.

I think this is likely more of an issue on the R1S because most SUV customers are going to expect a lower entry height and or some kind of running boards like a lot of manufacturers have as stock.

But you don't want running boards on an off-road adventure truck. Sliders yes, but not actual steps. They'll just get bashed up. Better to get just get used to kind of jumping up in to the truck.

larrydallas

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus R350, Rivian R1S
Same height as you and was surprised how awkward I felt getting in/out during my First Mile Drive. Is something like the gif below realistic as aftermarket?

Iā€™m not an experienced off-roader and would want to maximize usability for myself and kiddos on a daily basis vs. worrying about scraping the running boards up during the few times I do heavy rock climbing. And not sure whether they can kind of effectively ā€˜turn intoā€™ skid plates when theyā€™re retracted? Hellā€¦ They even look like the might provide added protection to the body without lowering the clearance much when theyā€™re retracted.

Rivian R1T R1S Entry / ingress into R1 is not that easy 1663024377504

Last edited:

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
You can always install one of those auto extending/hiding steps, but that will require the use of shin guards!

parkside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1-T and several ICE
Occupation
Business Owner
New member hereā€¦

I am a 29ā€ inseam guy with two hip replacements. I try remember to lower the suspension upon exit. It is not that bad really. And to exit, just swivel on the seat and slide out..l

Now I do have a Land Rover Defender 110 from 1990. I carry a little stool on a piece of paracord to get in that oneā€¦ Awkward but neededā€¦

Siguy90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
How much more difficult is it to get in the R1T at the lowest suspension height compared to a standard SUV/crossover (CR-V, Rav4, etc...)?

I am 6'1" so it won't be an issue for me but my wife is 5'2" so I am just concerned she will struggle trying to get in. I can always get in first and make sure the truck is set to the lowest setting and worst case scenario I can get her a little folding step stool lol.

Also I am wondering how this future kneel mode will work. At the lowest suspension height the fenders are sitting really close to the tire so how will it be possible to get the truck to go even lower? Or is it just software programming to automatically put the truck at the lowest height when parked?
Sponsored