Sponsored

staytuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
They're conceptually related in that Rivian probably wants V2H to be a subscription feature, as with music streaming through their data provider instead of your phone's. Rivian might even be waiting to enable V2H after the subscription service is operational.
Not to be overly pedantic, but Rivian does allow music streaming through something that actually is a “standard” - Bluetooth (IEEE 802)
Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I wasn’t aware there was an industry standard for powered tonneaus. 🙄 Shame on Rivian for not following it.

Roof rails are proprietary on ever vehicle too, aren’t they? Go to the Thule website, tell them what car you drive, and they’ll tell you exactly what propriety adapters you need.

PAAK *does* have a standard, which I think BMW uses (and presumably others). But if I’m notmistaken, the Apple PAAK standard doesn’t support passive proximity locking/unlocking. You have to take your phone out of your pocket and tap it on the door handle. So that’s why Tesla and Rivian don’t use it.

The fuse boxes use standard fuses. Yeah, they should document them, but they’re not proprietary. You can pick up a replacement anywhere.

The hitch is a standard square receiver too. Nothing proprietary about it. They don’t even sell a Rivian branded hitch.

Do y’all know what proprietary means?
I think you're arguing a point from one side rather than seeing that Rivian has made mistakes in important features of the R1.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
They're conceptually related in that Rivian probably wants V2H to be a subscription feature, as with music streaming through their data provider instead of your phone's. Rivian might even be waiting to enable V2H after the subscription service is operational.
If Rivian is so bloody idiotic as to start subscription pricing for anything, especially for functionality that's in the vehicle and has no "pay per view" pricing logic, they will see the end of their user loyalty in a blink of an eye.

For me, news of Rivian supporting V2H is a reason to keep the R1T. If they imposed subscription pricing, I'd sell my R1T, take delivery of my other R1T and R1S orders (they're pre-March pricing) sell them for a profit, and wait for my order for the Silverado EV or build my Lightning order. The Lightning does V2H.

All manufacturers need to learn from what happened to Rivian in March 2022 … a perfectly reasonable price adjustment to market conditions was mishandled and cost the company all the loyalty and confidence it had built up.

Tesla has "sh!t in the bed" with pricing and all the other EV manufacturers (including Rivian) followed them into their own filth. Tesla went from "one consistent price, fair to everyone, no haggling, no 'dealer' " to the worst of all possible pricing: Tesla vehicle prices are as untrustworthy as gas station pump prices.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
In the White Paper, Enphase referred to their IQ8 micro inverters several times. I’ve got IQ7A inverters so wondering if they are not compatible? I dropped a text to my solar guy, so I’ll see what he thinks. Thanks for sharing this article.
Let us know what he says. My take was that was just for the vehicle inverter.

I have an IQ7+ micro inverters on each panel in my array.

OP
OP
MoreTrout

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
In the White Paper, Enphase referred to their IQ8 micro inverters several times. I’ve got IQ7A inverters so wondering if they are not compatible? I dropped a text to my solar guy, so I’ll see what he thinks. Thanks for sharing this article.
It will be compatible. The current Enphase home battery has IQ8's in them and are fully functional with a system that has older microinverter models on the panels. The microinverter in the V2H product is simply regulating how much DC power from the vehicle is converted to AC to send to the controller. The input from the solar to the controller is completely separate.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MoreTrout

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
The Lightning does V2H.
Yes, and requires their home inverter. From a review when they announced it:

" However, we noted that to unlock the bi-directional capacity of the Ford Charge Station Pro, it needs to be combined with Ford’s Home Integration System through its installation partner, Sunrun. "

Maybe there is another Lightning owner on here that keeps up with what they offer and if they have any plans to allow V2H using any other product but their own. It's a new technology so not a whole lot out there to choose from, but what Ford announced required the purchase of a piece of $4k hardware from them to install similar to what Enphase will be releasing. Whether Ford or Rivian chooses to partner with any or all of the companies making the V2H hardware is the question.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
Been waiting for this. My solar system uses Enphase and I knew it was coming. For those that don't know, the majority if not all of the lvl 2 chargers at the Rivian SC's are Clipper Creek, which is owned by Enphase. Really hoping the companies have enough of a relationship to integrate this product with my R1T. But my fear is Rivian will once again come up with their own overpriced proprietary solution as the only option for their vehicles.

https://electrek.co/2023/02/02/enphase-enph-introduces-bi-directional-ev-charging/#:~:text=Enphase Energy (ENPH), the world’s leading supplier of,outage or support the grid during peak demand.

https://enphase.com/ev-chargers/bidirectional

I took a look at the white paper from Enphase and was able to track down and confirm that Rivian uses ISO 15118, so technically it SHOULD be able to work.
I think from them saying 'it's based on CCS standard" means that once they enable it for theirs, it'll work for others.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I have Enphase solar with a Tesla Powerwall now - I will gladly dump the Powerwall for an Enphase battery + this if it's reasonably priced. Bonus if it works with both Rivian and Ford Mach-E.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Not adding a feature (CarPlay) feels a lot different than not following a charging (or any other) standard to me. I’m not sure we should infer one from the other. It’s not like they added cellphone screen mirroring, but only if you buy a Rivian branded phone.
I’ve been a big proponent of CarPlay on the R1 but I agree with you. It’s Apple and oranges 😜

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

If Rivian is so bloody idiotic as to start subscription pricing for anything, especially for functionality that's in the vehicle and has no "pay per view" pricing logic, they will see the end of their user loyalty in a blink of an eye.

For me, news of Rivian supporting V2H is a reason to keep the R1T. If they imposed subscription pricing, I'd sell my R1T, take delivery of my other R1T and R1S orders (they're pre-March pricing) sell them for a profit, and wait for my order for the Silverado EV or build my Lightning order. The Lightning does V2H.
Okay.

I bought the R1T not thinking it could handle V2H. I don't recall that being promised, and I assumed it would only be in future vehicles. I'm not fond of subscriptions but I would pay it for V2H functionality. I guess it just depends on what you think you're entitled to.

Sponsored

miasm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Given the fairly low power rating on the outlets, would be nice to have an adapter that plugs into the charging port and provides some serious power.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
It will be compatible. The current Enphase home battery has IQ8's in them and are fully functional with a system that has older microinverter models on the panels. The microinverter in the V2H product is simply regulating how much DC power from the vehicle is converted to AC to send to the controller. The input from the solar to the controller is completely separate.
That makes sense…thank you. For me, we live in a hurricane prone area, so to be able to put the R1T in the garage and say power the house for maybe 4 days, which is our typical down time after a major hurricane. That would be great.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Okay.

I bought the R1T not thinking it could handle V2H. I don't recall that being promised, and I assumed it would only be in future vehicles. I'm not fond of subscriptions but I would pay it for V2H functionality. I guess it just depends on what you think you're entitled to.
Entitlement is a nonsense counterpoint. The issue is subscription pricing for products and services – other auto manufacturers have tried it and quit. A good example of subscription pricing or "pay per view" is autonomy … it's not useful day to day, but when you want it, pay for it, a day or a journey or a month. The purpose of V2H is daily usage to time shift solar and wind generation and to clip grid usage during peak hours. Once you've bought the hardware in the vehicle and the hardware and installation costs in the home, to be charged for the lights to come on is outrageous.
"Your subscription to the following service has expired, please provide credit card information before attempting to use the expired service: 'brakes' "

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Yes, and requires their home inverter. From a review when they announced it:

" However, we noted that to unlock the bi-directional capacity of the Ford Charge Station Pro, it needs to be combined with Ford’s Home Integration System through its installation partner, Sunrun. "

Maybe there is another Lightning owner on here that keeps up with what they offer and if they have any plans to allow V2H using any other product but their own. It's a new technology so not a whole lot out there to choose from, but what Ford announced required the purchase of a piece of $4k hardware from them to install similar to what Enphase will be releasing. Whether Ford or Rivian chooses to partner with any or all of the companies making the V2H hardware is the question.
There's a couple of Ford F-150 forum sites. I have an F-150 Hybrid and a "day one" order for the Lightning (Ford has been contacting me weekly to say "hurry up and build it!" for months) so I've read a few of the posts from people who got it going. $4K sounds expensive for basically an automatic transfer switch and a bi-directional AC-DC power supply, plus installation. Ford certainly wasn't giving it away. Still, compared to a 22kWh generac installation, $4K plus the charge connector … even though it's only 10kW … sounds cheap! : )

I was "all set" to buy a Lightning Pro as basically a "sit in the driveway" rolling 121kWh home backup battery for cheap … then Ford said "no soup for you" (not for sale to retail) then raised the price, then said "hurry up and wait."

https://www.f150forum.com/f136/

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/search/1610142/?q=sunrun&o=date
Sponsored