First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Been waiting for this. My solar system uses Enphase and I knew it was coming. For those that don't know, the majority if not all of the lvl 2 chargers at the Rivian SC's are Clipper Creek, which is owned by Enphase. Really hoping the companies have enough of a relationship to integrate this product with my R1T. But my fear is Rivian will once again come up with their own overpriced proprietary solution as the only option for their vehicles.

https://electrek.co/2023/02/02/enphase-enph-introduces-bi-directional-ev-charging/#:~:text=Enphase Energy (ENPH), the worldā€™s leading supplier of,outage or support the grid during peak demand.

https://enphase.com/ev-chargers/bidirectional

I took a look at the white paper from Enphase and was able to track down and confirm that Rivian uses ISO 15118, so technically it SHOULD be able to work.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Been waiting for this. My solar system uses Enphase and I knew it was coming. For those that don't know, the majority if not all of the lvl 2 chargers at the Rivian SC's are Clipper Creek, which is owned by Enphase. Really hoping the companies have enough of a relationship to integrate this product with my R1T. But my fear is Rivian will once again come up with their own overpriced proprietary solution as the only option for their vehicles.

https://electrek.co/2023/02/02/enphase-enph-introduces-bi-directional-ev-charging/#:~:text=Enphase Energy (ENPH), the worldā€™s leading supplier of,outage or support the grid during peak demand.

If the products are based on the 2022 CCS spec, it shouldn't be necessary to work together for integration, as long as the vehicle also meets the spec.

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It was my understanding that DC bidirectional is either enabled or not. It would be like Rivian locking down AC charging to only a Rivian charger. Doesn't make sense.

These will likely be pretty pricey but may be worth it depending on your needs.

Wallbox Quasar 2 is expected soon as well and will be in the $4k range.

Rivian still has to enable this feature though or they won't do anything.

OP
OP
MoreTrout

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired USN
If the products are based on the 2022 CCS spec, it shouldn't be necessary to work together for integration, as long as the vehicle also meets the spec.
Added that to my original post. Supports ISO 15118-20 and I confirmed Rivian uses 15118.

OP
OP
MoreTrout

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired USN
It was my understanding that DC bidirectional is either enabled or not. It would be like Rivian locking down AC charging to only a Rivian charger. Doesn't make sense.
Or like refusing to allow any other navigation software via something as simple as AA/CP. No, Rivian would never do something like that.

Sponsored

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

Good sharing. That's a great feature. I was exploring Enphase as a solar PV/battery back up system, this new update is now convincing me even more.

Hope you got a kickback!

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
But my fear is Rivian will once again come up with their own overpriced proprietary solution as the only option for their vehicles.
Like what? I canā€™t think of where Rivian has done this. For charging so far, theyā€™re just using the SAE standard. You donā€™t have to use Rivian HW. Are you thinking about Tesla? Theyā€™re the one with proprietary charging.

OP
OP
MoreTrout

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired USN
Like what? I canā€™t think of where Rivian has done this. For charging so far, theyā€™re just using the SAE standard. You donā€™t have to use Rivian HW. Are you thinking about Tesla? Theyā€™re the one with proprietary charging.
I wasn't thinking of charging. I know its apples to oranges, but their stubborn persistence in their own vehicle navigation software as the only option and refusing to allow something as simple as AA/CP for superior options leaves a bad taste in my mouth. So while something like an SAE standard sounds simple, there is always the possibility to make it harder than it should be.

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
Not adding a feature (CarPlay) feels a lot different than not following a charging (or any other) standard to me. Iā€™m not sure we should infer one from the other. Itā€™s not like they added cellphone screen mirroring, but only if you buy a Rivian branded phone.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
Powered tonneau, Nav, Infotainment, roof and bed rail rack mounts, PaaK, stuffed fuse boxes, tucked under hitch.

Iā€™m still a fanboi. Just pointing out the bleeding edge also comes with a dose of reinventing the wheel.

Sponsored

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
Powered tonneau, Nav, Infotainment, roof and bed rail rack mounts, PaaK, stuffed fuse boxes, tucked under hitch.

Iā€™m still a fanboi. Just pointing out the bleeding edge also comes with a dose of reinventing the wheel.
I wasnā€™t aware there was an industry standard for powered tonneaus. šŸ™„ Shame on Rivian for not following it.

Roof rails are proprietary on ever vehicle too, arenā€™t they? Go to the Thule website, tell them what car you drive, and theyā€™ll tell you exactly what propriety adapters you need.

PAAK *does* have a standard, which I think BMW uses (and presumably others). But if Iā€™m notmistaken, the Apple PAAK standard doesnā€™t support passive proximity locking/unlocking. You have to take your phone out of your pocket and tap it on the door handle. So thatā€™s why Tesla and Rivian donā€™t use it.

The fuse boxes use standard fuses. Yeah, they should document them, but theyā€™re not proprietary. You can pick up a replacement anywhere. Edit: Apparently this isnā€™t true? I donā€™t know. If itā€™s not one of the two standard sizes, then I agree this is stupid.

The hitch is a standard square receiver too. Nothing proprietary about it. They donā€™t even sell a Rivian branded hitch.

Do yā€™all know what proprietary means?

Last edited:

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
PAAK *does* have a standard, which I think BMW uses (and presumably others). But if Iā€™m notmistaken, the Apple PAAK standard doesnā€™t support passive proximity locking/unlocking. You have to take your phone out of your pocket and tap it on the door handle. So thatā€™s why Tesla and Rivian donā€™t use it.
(It also wasn't announced until long after Rivians were out of the development phase.)

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
..The fuse boxes use standard fuses. Yeah, they should document them, but theyā€™re not proprietary. You can pick up a replacement anywhere.
Um... no they are not "standard fuses"... take a look at them. No auto parts store carries them, not even available at online stores like RockAuto or even Amazon. One owner was told to "make an appointment at the SC" to have a blown fuse replaced because Rivian will not even sell you one. They are some crazy European variety that even the European cars don't use.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/interior-passenger-side-fuse-box.8397/post-242088
The largest (physical size fuses) look like MTA brand "M8Compact".
The mid size fuses look like MTA brand "MaxiCompact".
The smallest size fuses look like some variety of standard automotive fuse?

Here's the manufacturer website:
https://cv.egelectronics.com/products/circuit-protection/automotive-fuses/

While you're at it.... can you give me the cross fit number of the cabin air filter(s) for the R1T?
I'd like to order a couple before the spring...

Last edited:

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Not adding a feature (CarPlay) feels a lot different than not following a charging (or any other) standard to me. Iā€™m not sure we should infer one from the other. Itā€™s not like they added cellphone screen mirroring, but only if you buy a Rivian branded phone.
They're conceptually related in that Rivian probably wants V2H to be a subscription feature, as with music streaming through their data provider instead of your phone's. Rivian might even be waiting to enable V2H after the subscription service is operational.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000

I took a look at the white paper from Enphase and was able to track down and confirm that Rivian uses ISO 15118, so technically it SHOULD be able to work.
In the White Paper, Enphase referred to their IQ8 micro inverters several times. Iā€™ve got IQ7A inverters so wondering if they are not compatible? I dropped a text to my solar guy, so Iā€™ll see what he thinks. Thanks for sharing this article.
Sponsored