Sponsored

Energy Displays

How do you want energy information/consumption/efficiency displayed?

• Total voters

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Pretty self explanatory. Tesla uses Wh/mi, Tesla drivers are accustomed to this. The other manufacturers seem to use mi/kWh and people who have driven those cars are accustomed to that and it is similar to the mpg we are all familiar with from the ICE days. How do you want Rivian to display this information?
Sponsored

Last edited:

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Miles per kWh is more intuitive to me to figure out range. I have a Tesla but convert it in my head to miles per kWh so I’d like to avoid that extra step.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Since everything is touch screen, just have all units available and let the user pick on the screen.

I'm hoping for something like my prius which shows instantaneous usage and current session average at the same time.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Yea this really shouldn't be a question.
The option of any of the above is easy to give as all the data is there, let the user pick what they want to view.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I would personally use watts-per-mile. But “let the user choose” seems like a no-brainer. Why have a screen if it is going to be static?

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Let us choose is almost always the correct answer. Now... which one should be the _default_ is maybe a more interesting poll if you want to force someone to pick.

It really comes down to which question you have in your head when you look at the display:

1) How many miles can I get on my current charge?
or
2) How much energy am I going to use getting to my destination?

Last edited:

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
Let us chose is almost always the correct answer. Now... which one should be the _default_ is maybe a more interesting poll if you want to force someone to pick.

It really comes down to which question you have in your head when you look at the display:

or
I (never having a EV) would be good with the MTE (miles to empty) display. I am sure there are other metrics and ways to look at & understand the data - but when I'm driving around - i want to know if i'm going to need to charge/gas up...

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Other: watt’s this miles thing? kWh/100km

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Apologies to my Canadian neighbors. The metric units are in there now and you can change your votes.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
mi/kWh is an easy way for many to do a rough calculation on range to empty based on recent or current consumption, but from the reviews that came out it appears the range remaining display does that automatically (one reviewer even complained about it doing so). Changing driver profiles can/will yield a different range remaining based on their driving style.
Many think this is a more realistic approach for estimating range than using the EPA rated range and multiplying by SOC%. The estimate based on driving habits (recent data combined with profile "score") has the potential to provide a better picture for those that are math averse. If their algorithm took into account a destination entered into the nav with topography, road type/speed, weather and traffic info it could be very good indeed. It could even "know" when you had a trailer connected and use historical data from pulling that particular trailer to adjust the range display.

Wh/mi is much more useful when looking at "instantaneous" consumption.
When not moving, mi/kWh=0 and the heater and other components will still be consuming energy.
When slowing or descending a long grade, mi/kWh becomes infinite (usually capped at 99 like mpg instant displays).
In both of these cases, Wh/mi(km) provide useful info

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
When not moving, mi/kWh=0 and the heater and other components will still be consuming energy.
When slowing or descending a long grade, mi/kWh becomes infinite (usually capped at 99 like mpg instant displays).
In both of these cases, Wh/mi(km) provide useful info
I've seen other EVs that break this information down and display the overall consumption but also show how much is due to HVAC and non-propulsion uses. I like that.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I've seen other EVs that break this information down and display the overall consumption but also show how much is due to HVAC and non-propulsion uses. I like that.
Yea, this is how my Leaf displays it. I don't view this particular page all that often, but the data is available, they should be able to provide it!

Rivian R1T R1S Energy Displays 1633546487209

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Miles per kWh is more intuitive to me to figure out range. I have a Tesla but convert it in my head to miles per kWh so I’d like to avoid that extra step.
I've held back on any comments to let people respond but I am as interested in why people responded the way they did as in how they responded. I think the preference, if there is one, must be determined by how one uses the information so if you wouldn't mind expanding a bit on that aspect of it I'd appreciate it. An example or two of how you actually use the mi/kWh number would be appreciated.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Let us chose is almost always the correct answer. Now... which one should be the _default_ is maybe a more interesting poll if you want to force someone to pick.

or
So, show miles remaining, so you know if you can reach your destination, and also show a kwh/mi in the efficiency screens [ last 5min/15min/30min/trip]

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
So, show miles remaining, so you know if you can reach your destination, and also show a kwh/mi in the efficiency screens [ last 5min/15min/30min/trip]
I would personally be happy with that. I think a "range remaining" estimate of some sort is really essential to most drivers. I always have that showing on my ICE car. I know it's not really accurate because mpg varies so much depending on the speed (traffic), etc., but I still prefer to have it alongside the traditional fuel gauge.

I do see the merit in shifting from miles/gallon to kWh/mil though. I understand why that's a more logical metric for how much efficiently I'm driving. Will everyone though? I'm not sure.
Sponsored