Sponsored

Tracking mileage/energy usage

snomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 XV Crosstrek
In a habit I picked up from my father, I have meticulously tracked the mileage and gas fill ups for every ICE vehicle I've owned, giving me a detailed look at accurate MPG between fill-ups. Is there a need for that kind of detailed tracking of mileage and charging sessions in an EV, or is it pointless since everything is tracked via software?
Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

In a habit I picked up from my father, I have meticulously tracked the mileage and gas fill ups for every ICE vehicle I've owned, giving me a detailed look at accurate MPG between fill-ups. Is there a need for that kind of detailed tracking of mileage and charging sessions in an EV, or is it pointless since everything is tracked via software?
I do the same for my ICE vehicles using an app on my phone (previously with pen/paper). Honestly, I haven't found a need for it in the EV beyond tracking tire usage/replacement. I might track it for road trips, but that would be about it...and my current EV has insufficient range to really do any road tripping.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Is there a need for that kind of detailed tracking of mileage and charging sessions in an EV, or is it pointless since everything is tracked via software?
Some would say yes to the point that there are several programs that do this for Tesla. At this point for Rivian I don't think there are any.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Some would say yes to the point that there are several programs that do this for Tesla. At this point for Rivian I don't think there are any.
There's no data available via OBD at this point, so there won't be any apps until Rivian sees fit to open the firehose.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
There's no data available via OBD at this point, so there won't be any apps until Rivian sees fit to open the firehose.
A lot of the Tesla apps talk directly to Tesla's API with your login token. This enables really cool things like TeslaFi, where you can see a full historical map of everywhere you've driven, energy consumption in different conditions (temperature, speed, etc.), charging history, etc. Pretty cool stuff.

Rivian R1T R1S Tracking mileage/energy usage 1651684585045

Sponsored