Electric 7-seater?

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
So I know Fisker has been talked about in a few places on this forum, but I saw this article. In spite of the click-baity title, and dubious claims, I did find this one interesting nugget; a quote from Henrik Fisker himself. "If you're looking for a Porsche Boxster-type car, or a minivan, you have very few options."

I couldn't agree more. Especially about the minivan part. I know a few of us on here with R1S reservations would take just about anything that had seating for 7. I think right now there's just the R1s, and the promised ID Buzz, with timing almost 2 years out. Please let them come out with an electric minivan, and quickly!

https://carbuzz.com/news/fisker-has-a-genius-plan-to-dominate-tesla
Sponsored

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
So I know Fisker has been talked about in a few places on this forum, but I saw this article. In spite of the click-baity title, and dubious claims, I did find this one interesting nugget; a quote from Henrik Fisker himself. "If you're looking for a Porsche Boxster-type car, or a minivan, you have very few options."

I couldn't agree more. Especially about the minivan part. I know a few of us on here with R1S reservations would take just about anything that had seating for 7. I think right now there's just the R1s, and the promised ID Buzz, with timing almost 2 years out. Please let them come out with an electric minivan, and quickly!

https://carbuzz.com/news/fisker-has-a-genius-plan-to-dominate-tesla
Currently there is at least a PHEV option, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid.

My requirement is exactly a 7-seater AWD with high ground clearance. I go for skiing and camping a lot and not confident with low height minivans.

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There will be many options very soon..

https://topelectricsuv.com/featured/upcoming-electric-mpv-models/

There are several models from Hyundai/Kia/Genesis branding as well.

Fisker Ocean is too small to be a 7-seater in my mind. its more like 5+2 seating good for luggage or very short distance.
I am driving a Palisade for 2.5 years and supper impressed with it. Adults can seat in the 3rd row for a couple of hours trip. These Korean duos existing EVs also got good reviews so hoping they can come up with a compelling 7 seaters.

plasmdude

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Currently there is at least a PHEV option, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid.

My requirement is exactly a 7-seater AWD with high ground clearance. I go for skiing and camping a lot and not confident with low height minivans.
I can tell you for sure the Pacifica PHEV is not high clearance! Mine scrapes the ground all the time. So much that when I got my R1T I was too chicken at first to go up a curb. Guessing that could be fixed with bigger tires or stronger coil overs on the shocks?

Sponsored

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I can tell you for sure the Pacifica PHEV is not high clearance! Mine scrapes the ground all the time. So much that when I got my R1T I was too chicken at first to go up a curb. Guessing that could be fixed with bigger tires or stronger coil overs on the shocks?
Minivans also has very poor approach and departure angles. If you have a hitch, most likely it's hanging below the body and would cause even smaller departure angle. Never saw a minivan with raised height to fix this 😂

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
There will be many options very soon..

https://topelectricsuv.com/featured/upcoming-electric-mpv-models/

There are several models from Hyundai/Kia/Genesis branding as well.

Fisker Ocean is too small to be a 7-seater in my mind. its more like 5+2 seating good for luggage or very short distance.
You mean "Rivian" soon? Of the possible 7-seat options, I think the R1S will arrive the earliest for me (currently 1H23) unless it's delayed yet again. I am not sure if the Korean options will be available before the ID Buzz (some time in 2023, I believe).

GR

ranieri

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
photographer, real estate agent
I have a reservation deposit on a Fisker Ocean. The wife is considering that as well as an Audi e-tron. Tough choice, both look so good. But I am keen on electric start-ups.

gjunky

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3. Rivian R1S preorder
New to the forum. First post.
There is a 7 seat Tesla Model X (we own the 6 seat since 2016)

atlastracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Honda Pilot
New to the forum. First post.
There is a 7 seat Tesla Model X (we own the 6 seat since 2016)
Having been in a 6 and 7 seat X. There is very little comparison between the model X and a minivan or even most mid-size SUVs. It is just not spacious enough for most families. And with the sloped shape, there isn't much storage behind the 3rd row.

You are right that the Model X is the *only* 6/7 seat BEV (well I guess technically model Y now too). However it is way too expensive and small for many of us which is why we are waiting for a real sport utility or minivan to go BEV.

Sponsored

gjunky

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3. Rivian R1S preorder
Having been in a 6 and 7 seat X. There is very little comparison between the model X and a minivan or even most mid-size SUVs. It is just not spacious enough for most families. And with the sloped shape, there isn't much storage behind the 3rd row.

You are right that the Model X is the *only* 6/7 seat BEV (well I guess technically model Y now too). However it is way too expensive and small for many of us which is why we are waiting for a real sport utility or minivan to go BEV.
Totally agree that the space can't be compared to most minivans although the interior space is larger than it seems. The Model Y is the better choice cost wise.

This is why we like the R1S and although I am not a big Chrysler fan, i hope they will decide to make a full BEV version of the Pacifica.

ravian

First Name
Debarshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Sienna
Imagine an electric minivan.. 0 to 60 in 5 seconds. The most dangerous weapon on the road. Faster than a soccer ball.
Sponsored