Spotted camouflaged R1S on I-70 eastbound on Vail Pass in Colorado today

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
I was driving to Carbondale, CO today and spotted a camouflaged R1S on I-70 that was eastbound on Vail Pass today around Noon. It was decked out in the Rivian blue with the small diagonal black strips across part of it.

You have to figure it was headed to the Denver service center to be parked in the garage and hidden.

It is the first R1S I have seen in person and looks unique.
Sponsored

ranieri

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
photographer, real estate agent
Where are the pics?! 🤌

OP
OP
Denver_Paulie

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Where are the pics?! 🤌
Unfortunately, I was doing 90mph down the west side of Vail Pass in my Taycan. The R1S was coming uphill on the other side. I had enough time to get a good look at it, but not enough time to break out the phone for a picture. The Rivian blue is a pretty unique color, so it is easy to spot from a distance.

It is the time of year that a number of auto manufactures bring test mules to do high elevation testing in Colorado. I actually saw a couple of other camouflaged/disguised vehicles yesterday, but the R1S is not that hidden, so easy to tell what it was.

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but if it is not a higher end EV I rarely pay attention to a vehicle.

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
Don't you mean this? If so, nothing new to these mules ...

Rivian R1T R1S Spotted camouflaged R1S on I-70 eastbound on Vail Pass in Colorado today 1651246560161

Sponsored

OP
OP
Denver_Paulie

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Don't you mean this? If so, nothing new to these mules ...

1651246560161.png

Yup, that is what I saw.

I had never seen one in person and it was kind of cool seeing one on I-70 on Vail Pass.

Cbarwick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR Sport Supercharged, Jaguar F-TypeR, AMG GT Conv
I saw one with a similar wrap in Newport Beach about a month ago.

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
New vehicles with "camo" paint or wraps are so stupid. We know what they are, who cares if you see the color of the paint when the rest of the vehicle is visible.??

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

New vehicles with "camo" paint or wraps are so stupid. We know what they are, who cares if you see the color of the paint when the rest of the vehicle is visible.??
It generates attention, and it hides cosmetic defects such as missing trim or mismatched panels.

OP
OP
Denver_Paulie

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It generates attention, and it hides cosmetic defects such as missing trim or mismatched panels.

So, what you are saying is that Tesla's should remain camouflaged to cover up mismatched panels!!!

I kid! I kid!

Sponsored

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
You and others on this forum are obviously harder to fool, but the majority of the population will not be able to tell what a vehicle is if it has some camo on it. The Rivian ones aren't really even true camo as the "real" ones make it VERY difficult to determine brand. This is just a wrap.

I now work in the automotive industry (cybersecurity specific) but our parking lot has a lot of covered vehicles that your normal person would not be able to identify. Even some die hard enthusiasts wouldn't be able to tell.

This is a random pic from Google. Can you tell what this is easily? And even if you could, you certainly aren't able to determine any design elements.

Rivian R1T R1S Spotted camouflaged R1S on I-70 eastbound on Vail Pass in Colorado today 001-2015-ford-mustang-spy-shots

Other vehicles like the new Maserati MC12 are easier to identify, but the design prevents pictures showing lines of the vehicle, especially when there's a new design coming out.

Rivian R1T R1S Spotted camouflaged R1S on I-70 eastbound on Vail Pass in Colorado today 2021-Maserati-MC20-spy-shots-11

Most people know what this is. But when they fly by and only a few people see them/able to snap a pic, you're not getting any real useful information. If you have time to investigate closely in a parking lot, sure. But typically these are on the move.

Rivian R1T R1S Spotted camouflaged R1S on I-70 eastbound on Vail Pass in Colorado today vehicle-camouflage-ogi

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director

Ccomtois

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150
Occupation
Patient Rivian Pre-Order Holder
Well I know what I'm doing this afternoon...
@cohall - what does it mean that you've started the 8-step process and a VIN was actually assigned? do you have an actual delivery date yet? I signed a PBA couple weeks back, and now have a first mile test drive scheduled for next week....so I tiny bit of progress.

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

Other vehicles like the new Maserati MC12 are easier to identify, but the design prevents pictures showing lines of the vehicle, especially when there's a new design coming out.
Right. This is the real reason, to my understanding. The lines/patterns are designed to confuse the eye so the shape of the vehicle isn't immediately recognizable. It hides defects as mentioned but also allows it to retain a degree of anonymity.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
@cohall - what does it mean that you've started the 8-step process and a VIN was actually assigned? do you have an actual delivery date yet? I signed a PBA couple weeks back, and now have a first mile test drive scheduled for next week....so I tiny bit of progress.
It means that an actual truck that has been built, or is being built, has been assigned to you and it’s time to finalize your purchase. It’s a good indicator that delivery is imminent (though there are a few cases where things went wrong).

I do not yet have delivery scheduled as my final step is still locked because the truck is not yet ready for me. I’m hoping that it unlocks very soon.
Sponsored