First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
Efficiency of my 22k mi R1T has fallen off a cliff. Every time I start driving I get horrible efficiency for at least 5-10 minutes . Eventually it comes back up to somewhat normal but is still below what I've experienced over the last 15 months.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I had the rear drive unit replaced earlier this year but that replacement wasn't coincident with this change in efficiency. I have a service ticket on this but my appointment isn't for another month.

Rivian R1T R1S Efficiency below the line (2.0 mi/kWh) in normal driving IMG_8080
Rivian R1T R1S Efficiency below the line (2.0 mi/kWh) in normal driving IMG_7984
Rivian R1T R1S Efficiency below the line (2.0 mi/kWh) in normal driving IMG_7970
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Efficiency of my 22k mi R1T has fallen off a cliff. Every time I start driving I get horrible efficiency for at least 5-10 minutes . Eventually it comes back up to somewhat normal but is still below what I've experienced over the last 15 months.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I had the rear drive unit replaced earlier this year but that replacement wasn't coincident with this change in efficiency. I have a service ticket on this but my appointment isn't for another month.

IMG_8080.jpeg
IMG_7984.jpeg
IMG_7970.jpeg
My R1S has always been like that, my Tesla as well. Seems like it needs time to come up to specific operating temperatures then efficiency gets better.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Pretty normal looking for my R1T. This forum will make you think everyone gets 2.5-4.0 all the time. :cool:

Hereā€™s my AC kicking the batteryā€™s a**

Rivian R1T R1S Efficiency below the line (2.0 mi/kWh) in normal driving IMG_0195

OP
OP

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
Pretty normal looking for my R1T. This forum will make you think everyone gets 2.5-4.0 all the time. :cool:
Thatā€™s interesting because I never saw efficiency like this in the first 12 months I owned the truck. Iā€™m not saying your experience is wrong, only that mine is different. Maybe something changed in an update.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Do you garage your R1T? Have temperatures changed recently, likely dropping from what they've been? The heater in the R1 is a PTC / resistive heater and will chew up a ton of power when warming the cabin until the whole interior is up to temperature...then it'll cycle and use less. Similarly, if the battery temp is too low, Rivian may be using the PTC heater to warm it up...but I'd imagine that is saved for winter operation when things are *really* cold. If you are seeing cabin heating causing this, you can try pre-conditioning the cabin while plugged into your L2 charger for 20-30 min before departure.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
Do you garage your R1T? Have temperatures changed recently, likely dropping from what they've been? The heater in the R1 is a PTC / resistive heater and will chew up a ton of power when warming the cabin until the whole interior is up to temperature...then it'll cycle and use less. Similarly, if the battery temp is too low, Rivian may be using the PTC heater to warm it up...but I'd imagine that is saved for winter operation when things are *really* cold. If you are seeing cabin heating causing this, you can try pre-conditioning the cabin while plugged into your L2 charger for 20-30 min before departure.
Agree. This is a great idea. Iā€™ll try turning off the heat/AC button and see if it makes a difference after pulling out of the garage in the morning. I experienced last winter with the truck and donā€™t remembering seeing this poor of efficiency coming out of my garage even when it was cold outside. But who knows? Itā€™s worth a shot!

I garage every night and this has been occurring during summer/early fall. Temps here in KC are still pretty warm.

Iā€™m just baffled since Iā€˜ve always watched the efficiency meter like itā€™s a game to be won and never has it done this. Iā€™m at least in good company here as you all have seen similar.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Iā€™m just baffled since Iā€˜ve always watched the efficiency meter like itā€™s a game to be won and never has it done this. Iā€™m at least in good company here as you all have seen similar.
I live on top of a hill, so anywhere I go the initial efficiency is good. As a result, I have no frame of reference that's comparable other than temperature. :p

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

similar experience as you. i noticed this after the 2023.30.0 update, when they changed the color of the line below 2.0 from green to black. however, the overall efficiency of the vehicle is the same. prior to those updates i was getting 2.28 mi/kwh (after ~7000 miles) and after the update, im still getting exactly 2.28 mi/kwh (after ~800 miles).

what i am experiencing that's very strange, since update 2023.30, is i get high efficiency anomalies. for no reason, on the same roads i travel (basically flat), at different speeds, the efficiency will peak to the max for 5-10 min. then another day at the same general location, no peak. mile temperatures (60-80 degrees). not due to regen as im driving and on the accelerator. no rhyme or reason that i can see
Rivian R1T R1S Efficiency below the line (2.0 mi/kWh) in normal driving IMG-5360

Rivian R1T R1S Efficiency below the line (2.0 mi/kWh) in normal driving IMG-5364

Rivian R1T R1S Efficiency below the line (2.0 mi/kWh) in normal driving IMG-5366

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Nothing to add to this conversation, but sometimes I even hate plugging in my phone to charge, because I know that's sapping my efficiency ever-so-slightly. šŸ˜†
Sponsored