Sponsored

Early criticism? Vote

Should there have been a better front headlight design?

• Total voters

Gabe1aron

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Nurse Anesthetist
At first I liked the headlights a lot, being unusual as they are, but after looking them for a few years now, I’m getting tired of them. That being said, I still want the truck and will wait another year looking at them and getting even more tired of those lights. One thing I did was order the truck in Limestone. I think it slightly reduces the attention to those headlights. I bet the next generation will have modifications to tone them down a bit. My $0.02
Sponsored

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

As the pics of all the small SUV's shows, car design is so driven my aerodynamics that the profiles of cars of the same type (e.g. small SUV's) are all pretty much the same. It is, in fact, the front end and back end that are where the designs are differentiated and the branding is visible. Show a pic of the front of the Macan, X3, and the GLA and ain't no one that won't immediately be able to say Porsche, BMW, Mercedes. Lexus, Lincoln, Acura...they all have their trademark grills, headlight and taillight designs.

All that being said, yeah, not a huge fan of the headlights; however, it is their brand. I would bet 50 years from now Rivians will have a different front end but it will still pay homage with subtle design hints to what we see in the R1's.

TDWRT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A bunch of German cars
Occupation
Finance
The headlights themselves are fine. The front fascia on the truck is sorta "meh" to me. However, it is distinctive. More Importantly, that front fascia will be an absolute magnet for rock chips, bugs (heads up Florida) and general road debris. Anybody driving around without Paint Protection film on their Rivian front-end probably owns an automotive repair shop. :)

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
At first, they seemed goofy as fuck. They kinda grew on me after a while, but once I saw them in real life and fully functional, they looked awesome!

I say give them a chance :)
Same. I was not a fan at first. Then I became ambivalent. But seeing them I person, particularly at night, I think they're awesome. The detail up close is pretty cool too.

If you want to talk about headlights turning me from a truck, the shit plastic that is on the Lightning light bar is pretty high up on my list.

0===0Riv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 JGC
Occupation
Technology
Seems like most ppl i've shown the truck to have same reaction, iffy at first then it grows on them... They could have been better designed and cooler, like the alpha wolf, but i still like them.

Sponsored

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Is your issue the large ovals, the light bar, or both?

The redesign, IMO, should be around the way the frunk works to be more like the Ford Lightning.
This may or may not effect the front lighting design (thinking of the lightbar).
Assuming they can make it look the same way it does now but allow much easier access then I like the design overall and it does set it apart.

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
If the design aspect of the lights bothers someone, there are ways to mitagate that. To draw your eye away from the oval shape you could apply PPF in a darker color (faux grill). This would soften the shape and protect against stone nicks at the same time. It is also something one could try with no risk. If you don't like it - remove it. It's not like you took it to a body shop and cut the front panel to turn the lights sideways or something. I have done little tricks like that to many vehicles to make it more pleasing to me yet have no lasting effect for resale. Just a thought.

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
As the pics of all the small SUV's shows, car design is so driven my aerodynamics pedestrian impact safety standards & packaging constraints that the profiles of cars of the same type (e.g. small SUV's) are all pretty much the same. It is, in fact, the front end and back end that are where the designs are differentiated and the branding is visible. Show a pic of the front of the Macan, X3, and the GLA and ain't no one that won't immediately be able to say Porsche, BMW, Mercedes. Lexus, Lincoln, Acura...they all have their trademark grills, headlight and taillight designs.
FTFY ?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I like the appearance of the headlights. However, I do think they should have included an "active bending" feature.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Disliked them originally based on photos. in person, they actually look really good.

if you haven’t yet seen the vehicle in real life, I’d suggest reserving final judgement until you have.

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I haven’t read other comments on the thread. Sorry if there is any overlap in my opinion:

I am neutral about the design and that is what I like about it the most. Most cars look angry ? on the road. Their driver could be totally chilling listening to classical music but when you see their headlights in your rear view mirror, you go to war mode. Their design encourage road rage.

I have heard people say R1 face looks like a cartoon character. That is how I want to be seen on the road. A childish view of the world contributes to a more civilized society.

Last edited:

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
My main issue is with the rear lights. The turn signals are too small, imo. And the light bar just seems kind of flat and boring. I get that it matches the front. But the whole package looks darn nice and it kind of looks retro-futuristic with the ultra boxy rear and stadium headlights in the front. Overall, it's a very nice design.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
So while I do really love the headlights I will admit they do remind me of Pixar's Cars.

Here's the original design RJ made of the R1T in Rivian Blue

Rivian R1T R1S Early criticism? Vote 1640927202794

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Where's the "Why the F is there another poll?!?!" option in this poll? ;)?
E.S.

Thanks for the heads up. I’m just about to start a new post entitled “Do We Need A New Poll?

Not to worry, I pre-loaded you as a “NO!!!”.

That’s just what friends do!
Sponsored