OP
OP
Virgil T2

Virgil T2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, CR, 22s, 2017 Model X, R1S preorder
I’ve been to this charger 4 Time’s towing a trailer since it opened. First time, perfect. Got the trailer spot. Second and third time found the trailer spot iced. Today was my fourth attempt, was not expecting to see a trailerless Rivian in the trailer spot while there was 4 empty normal spots. Sure maybe it was full when they pulled in, in which case, etiquette dictates, they stay with the vehicle so it can be moved if need be if someone with a trailer arrives. I had to jackknife into a normal spot taking up two spots, I stayed with the vehicle the whole time in case I had to move because I was blocking an open space. I finished charging and left and still the owner never came out to their vehicle.
Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Another sign needs to be on the unit itself near the handle perhaps

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Sure maybe it was full when they pulled in, in which case, etiquette dictates, they stay with the vehicle so it can be moved if need be if someone with a trailer arrives.
I’m not sure I agree with that, I know a few have said that but I think many others would not agree, I wouldn’t choose the trailer spot first but if I pull in hungry and walk over somewhere to grab takeout, or if my dog needs to be let out or maybe I myself am about to burst. I sure as hell am not going to piss my pants (or worse) to make sure you’re not inconvenienced.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I’m not sure I agree with that, I know a few have said that but I think many others would not agree, I wouldn’t choose the trailer spot first but if I pull in hungry and walk over somewhere to grab takeout, or if my dog needs to be let out or maybe I myself am about to burst. I sure as hell am not going to piss my pants (or worse) to make sure you’re not inconvenienced.
That's why I have a portable toilet and shower awning now.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

That's why I have a portable toilet and shower awning now.
If I pull into a RAN station one day and you have your portable toilet and shower awning deployed I’m leaving… I don’t care what my state of charge is :CWL:

Sponsored

Mobius1

First Name
Asim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR; Ford Fusion Energi
Occupation
Technology
Hope you left a note for the guy to join this forum, so they can get schooled on this! I’m not a trailer person, but is it possible to detach your trailer to charge. Not sure of the effort, if you are in a bind.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
As someone who pulls a trailer, I understand the frustration but would never post about it and call a specific person "dumb" in the forum if I didn't know the circumstances or hadn't been able to talk to them directly. Most people who don't tow just don't think about it. I don't think they are being intentionally malicious or knowingly selfish.

I would just write a note and put it on their car that let them know there were a lot of Rivians the have trailers that use this charger and in the future maybe leave the spot open for them so they don't block the exit when trying to use a non-tow spot.

I prefer collaboration and education to public humiliation.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I think the more interesting part was the vehicle was there with no one around when he pulled in, he charged and left, vehicle was still there with no one around.

People just need to more conscientious of others at charging stations. I pulled into an EA in New Mexico, there was new Mercedes pulled into a space in a way it blocked 2 chargers, I did not have to wait but there was a line when I left. The owner was nowhere around an according to the screen was idle for over 4 hours, I just hope EA did not wave there idle fee.

I left short of what I was going to charge to and just stopped at a closer charger on my route than the one I planned just to free up the charger I was using.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Rivian can fix this with software. If they can send the drive mode to the charger, then that charger could simply refuse to start the charge If it is not in tow mode. :like:

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Rivian can fix this with software. If they can send the drive mode to the charger, then that charger could simply refuse to start the charge If it is not in tow mode. :like:
I would just add not in tow mode if another charger is available. Would be frustrated if all spaces were being used and could not use the trailer spot.

Sponsored

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
Unfortunate, but like others said I doubt it was malicious. Lots of folks are learning charger etiquette as new EV owners. It still gives me anxiety for my future EV road trip days, watching the "queue" at a super busy charger.

Although that being said, once Tesla starts making pull through SC, I will laugh and take a picture every chance I get when that spot is taken by something like a Chevy Bolt with an angry Cybertruck waiting nearby 🤣🤣

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Were any of the other spots in use? Did you ask him if they would move?

I don't think publicly shaming someone for using the trailer preferred spot is the answer.

When I was in Truckee in July all spots were full and the trailer friendly spot was first to open so I used it. I happened to be there as other spots opened and someone pulled in with a trailer so I moved but had I gone over to the store or something then I don't think it would be exactly fair to be publicly shamed.
Even if other spots were in use, the right thing to do would have been to stay with car or leave note on dash with number to call. Blocking a spot meant for trailers and leaving unattended is just selfish.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Here’s me all excited to get to the Rivian charger at Barstow, California, towing my trailer, knowing there is a very nice trailer spot to park in and charge, only to find this, single, no trailer R1T parked in it, charging with four other charges open!

IMG_8675.jpeg

IMG_8674.jpeg
Not fair to refer to the person as "dumb" for using that charger. Could have been any number of reasons.

1. Possibly didn't know the etiquette. Doesn't make him/her dumb, just new to the experience.
2. Possibly when he/she arrived, the other chargers were occupied?
3. Possibly he/she is experienced enough to know that it's not good to share chargers on the same circuit and parked there simply to not slow down charging.
4. The sign does not say "Rivian's with Trailers ONLY".

I've been through Barstow now several times and never once seen anyone pull through with a trailer. It's not a common sight.

I understand the frustration for the one trailer that does pull in and it's being occupied, but think it's wrong to insult that person by calling them names when you don't know the reason he/she may have been parked there.

Can always ask the person, if you can find them in one of the three restaurants there, if they wouldn't mind moving to one of the other chargers. If you do it NICELY, they might oblige. If you walk in and say "who's the a hole that parked in the trailer spot?" not likely to get any assistance.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Not fair to refer to the person as "dumb" for using that charger. Could have been any number of reasons.

1. Possibly didn't know the etiquette. Doesn't make him/her dumb, just new to the experience.
2. Possibly when he/she arrived, the other chargers were occupied?
3. Possibly he/she is experienced enough to know that it's not good to share chargers on the same circuit and parked there simply to not slow down charging.
4. The sign does not say "Rivian's with Trailers ONLY".

I've been through Barstow now several times and never once seen anyone pull through with a trailer. It's not a common sight.

I understand the frustration for the one trailer that does pull in and it's being occupied, but think it's wrong to insult that person by calling them names when you don't know the reason he/she may have been parked there.

Can always ask the person, if you can find them in one of the three restaurants there, if they wouldn't mind moving to one of the other chargers. If you do it NICELY, they might oblige. If you walk in and say "who's the a hole that parked in the trailer spot?" not likely to get any assistance.
Agree with you and to your fourth point it said “priority” not “only” so it was fine for the other driver to use this. Did the driver come back while the OP was there?
Sponsored