Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I got the red steering wheel alert and beeping many times on our recent trip to Pittsburgh. I thought it was because of rain and road spray. That did seem to make it worse, but we still got it a time or two on the way home when it was clear and dry. It also has started keeping to the right side of the lane since the last update. Usually it isn't bad, but it is uncomfortably close especially when passing semis.
Sponsored

Willebrew

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER | Rivian R1T Pre-Order
Occupation
Software Developer, Entrepreneur
My R1T’s estimated delivery dates are February-March, and I just confirmed my configuration the other day. My hopes for Rivian’s Driver+ suite of features are that they enable auto-steer on all roads, hands free on highways, automatic lane change (at least on highways), and improvements to safety systems and maybe added functions (reverse automatic braking and lane-repositioning would be nice). This may sound like a lot but Rivian is more than capable of adding these features, and so is the included hardware.

Phrogz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
phrogz.net
Vehicles
'66 Ford Jeep, '01 SLK 32AMG, '10 Wrangler, '19 Q7
Occupation
Autonomous Driving Software
It also has started keeping to the right side of the lane since the last update. Usually it isn't bad, but it is uncomfortably close especially when passing semis.
Are you certain it's biasing to the right? I ask only because every time I turn on LKA it pulls to the right (or refuses and tells me to center in the lane first). I feel like I'm RIGHT UP AGAINST the adjacent cars...and then I switch to the camera app and confirm via the overhead view that it is properly centered. Apparently I love hugging the left edge (makes sense: keep your friends close, but your enemies closer), and I personally have a skewed perspective of what "centered in the lane" really means.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

My R1T’s estimated delivery dates are February-March, and I just confirmed my configuration the other day. My hopes for Rivian’s Driver+ suite of features are that they enable auto-steer on all roads, hands free on highways, automatic lane change (at least on highways), and improvements to safety systems and maybe added functions (reverse automatic braking and lane-repositioning would be nice). This may sound but Rivian is more than capable of adding these features, and so is the included hardware.
Why do you think Rivian is capable of adding those features? All available evidence points to the contrary. Driver+ trails every ADAS on the market. It’s not even as good as Tesla and MobilEye’s AP1 from 2016. There have been few if any meaningful improvements to Driver+ in 14 months. I know this sounds harsh but if the Driver+ team at Rivian had the talent and or resources to deliver a competitive ADAS, wouldn’t we have seen some feature level improvements by now? Maybe we’ll be pleasantly surprised but it’s not looking good.

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Compared to Tesla, it's a very basic ADAS. Let's hope it improves over time.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Why do you think Rivian is capable of adding those features? All available evidence points to the contrary. Driver+ trails every ADAS on the market. It’s not even as good as Tesla and MobilEye’s AP1 from 2016. There have been few if any meaningful improvements to Driver+ in 14 months. I know this sounds harsh but if the Driver+ team at Rivian had the talent and or resources to deliver a competitive ADAS, wouldn’t we have seen some feature level improvements by now? Maybe we’ll be pleasantly surprised but it’s not looking good.
People have short memories…. Tesla started installing AP1 hardware in vehicles in 2014, the first software released that used any of it was October 2015. Then when Tesla went from AP1 to AP2 late in 2016 it took them over 2 years once the hardware was installed to even match what AP1 was capable of.

The hardware is there in the Rivian, they will get the software up to speed over time.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

People have short memories…. Tesla started installing AP1 hardware in vehicles in 2014, the first software released that used any of it was October 2015. Then when Tesla went from AP1 to AP2 late in 2016 it took them over 2 years once the hardware was installed to even match what AP1 was capable of.

The hardware is there in the Rivian, they will get the software up to speed over time.
AP2 at debut in 2016 was still better than Driver+ in 2022. It worked on any road that had lines on it. Tesla made the necessary investments to make Autopilot a core competency. Has Rivian done the same? Where’s the progress that shows that Rivian cares about making Driver+ great? Not what they say but what they’ve done. So what if the hardware is there for a better adas? We have no idea if or when the software will catch up to something that was available six years ago. We do know it’s not competitive and hasn’t improved much in over a year. Just because Tesla’s ADAS improved doesn’t mean Rivian’s will. Nobody else is sitting still either. Will Driver+ always be six years behind the times? The vehicles are wonderful in many ways but Driver+ is not one of them and it would be folly to expect improvements that may never come. I wouldn’t recommend anyone buy one who wouldn’t be satisfied with what is available today.

Willebrew

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER | Rivian R1T Pre-Order
Occupation
Software Developer, Entrepreneur
I believe that Rivian will keep their word. They said “Highway Assist will be enabled on select highways at launch with more road types introduced over time”. Rivian’s a new manufacturer and it’s understandable that they are developing these features slowly (they might not want the backlash Tesla gets for rushing Autopilot). The more cars they put on the road, the more data they can use to build up their system. The hardware is there. We can’t forget that Tesla and Mobileye’s AP1 hardware and software suite were built up from years of developed technologies from Mobileye.
Sponsored