Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I did the update and now when I try to use Driver+ it says I need service for a wheel alignment. I have an appointment on Monday so hopefully its all fixed.
I experienced this a few weeks ago. Rivian addressed it during a service appointment. It's been working fine since the wheel alignment. I don't have the 2022.39.1 release yet, but I'm looking forward to trying out the updated Driver+ changes.
Sponsored

Reactions: Ash

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
What criteria is used for the block release? SN? Region? Money randomness? Other (please specify)?
Every software team has their own criteria. I can say that on the 2022.35 cycle I didn't get mine for over a week after it started rolling out. On this one I got it today (day 2). So, it may be random selection of the fleet. They may also have a specific number of R1T and R1S they push to in each wave. This is pretty common practice in SW. Even companies like Google, Facebook, etc won't push out a new feature to all users at once.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

I did the update and now when I try to use Driver+ it says I need service for a wheel alignment. I have an appointment on Monday so hopefully its all fixed.
When we put winter tires on our Model X, the lane centering ability with Autopilot noticeably degraded. I think the alignment went out. I wonder if all the ping pong behavior with Rivians that has been reported has something to do with the seemingly pervasive alignment problems owners are having.

BCan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
When we put winter tires on our Model X, the lane centering ability with Autopilot noticeably degraded. I think the alignment went out. I wonder if all the ping pong behavior with Rivians that has been reported has something to do with the seemingly pervasive alignment problems owners are having.
It’s not the alignment

Jedimaster109

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T & 2021 Tesla Model Y
I noticed this improvement as well this morning. Just got the update last night and tested out Driver+ on the way to my first job, MUCH BETTER! No pinball from one side the lane to the other.

Sponsored

Aubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Preorder
Sounds like they tuned the centering PID controls. Less P value to minimize overshooting from center

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
Sounds like they tuned the centering PID controls. Less P value to minimize overshooting from center
Interesting perspective. Maybe that’s it, but my impression was that Driver+ doesn’t “aim far enough ahead”. It’s always felt to me like a new driver who is trying to stay in their lane by looking at the end of their hood, rather than looking down the road. Aim further away, and you’ll not dart around in your lane so much. The end effect might be similar to what you suggest. Though if you have a sharp turn, you need that high P gain. That’s why I feel like it’s more of a “looking further ahead” thing.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Good to hear. I've avoided driver+ on certain routes because it would try to ram me into the car in the lane to the right of me. Though so far driver+ has been 100% perfect at night, just has trouble for me during the day.

ARMadventures

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, Navigator
Occupation
Logistics
I noticed a big improvment on the Driver+ performance on my communte in this morning more. It seems much more confident, and less ping-ponging in the lane. Also LOVE the new kneeling feature!

tosehee

First Name
Se Hee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I am sorry, but Driver+ is nowhere close to maturity where I can reliably use it in daily life.

I've been looking at what Vehicle sees with the front display, but it's really choppy or see things very oddly.

As is, I will wait a minimum of 1+ years of improvements before I feel safety to engage the Driver+.

Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I am sorry, but Driver+ is nowhere close to maturity where I can reliably use it in daily life.

I've been looking at what Vehicle sees with the front display, but it's really choppy or see things very oddly.

As is, I will wait a minimum of 1+ years of improvements before I feel safety to engage the Driver+.
I don't think there is any correlation between the display and what the system actually "sees" and behaves upon. The display is just for show/entertainment and most vehicles don't even have it. But yeah, it sometimes thinks cars are motorcycles, and large vehicles are big box trucks. But it's irrelevant to the system and how it works.

Everyone has their own threshold for what is reliable/safe, but the Rivian system is not materially different than anything else on the market. Each have their own weak spots that don't necessarily extrapolate to the whole. Insurance companies wouldn't be providing a discount to premiums for using it if it were anywhere close to being considered unreliable.

tosehee

First Name
Se Hee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I don't think there is any correlation between the display and what the system actually "sees" and behaves upon. The display is just for show/entertainment and most vehicles don't even have it. But yeah, it sometimes thinks cars are motorcycles, and large vehicles are big box trucks. But it's irrelevant to the system and how it works.

Everyone has their own threshold for what is reliable/safe, but the Rivian system is not materially different than anything else on the market. Each have their own weak spots that don't necessarily extrapolate to the whole. Insurance companies wouldn't be providing a discount to premiums for using it if it were anywhere close to being considered unreliable.
Agreed. It's a personal comfort level with self driving in general, and I am more on the conservative side..

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Agreed. It's a personal comfort level with self driving in general, and I am more on the conservative side..
Fair enough. I also think there is an element of new company bias. I find myself babysitting it more than I did in other systems, not for any objective reason for how it behaves, but merely because it's Rivian and not Audi, etc.

njech7

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Porsche Cayenne Manual
Occupation
Sales
I have never had Driver+ actually steer the vehicle. The ACC works with keeping speed and distance control with the vehicle in front of me. I'm on the NJ Turnpike all the time and am surprised this is not a road that Driver+ would not have included.

huskybrewing

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

I just updated to the new software and am looking forward to testing this out.

Meantime, do any of you notice that their vehicle shifts suddenly within the lane when in Driver+ and when you go under an overpass? The shadows or whatever seem to mess with centering. Hopefully this can be fixed over time.

I'm also hoping that something can be done about Driver+ being disabled because of sun glare on a camera. I couldn't even use regular old ACC this morning when heading east at around 8:30 a.m. because of the sun glare issue. My $30k 2017 CRV never had that issue with its ACC.
Sponsored