First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Do those vehicles advertise the ability to drive through 3 ft of water? It needs to keep water out but also let water out.
Only if you intend to drive it in water up to the bottom of the doors. In this case, no reason the owner can't temporarily remove the valves till Rivian can get their act together and address the real issue which is why is so much water getting in his doors while other owners don't have this issue.

I remember unplugging the door drain holes in some of my vehicles over the years.. they were just plain holes or gill fin slots in the door bottoms.
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I agree with putting in a service ticket. My truck has never done this and I've driven it through some very hard rains. My trip back from WI it rained from IL to home, two solid days of rain.

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Only if you intend to drive it in water up to the bottom of the doors. In this case, no reason the owner can't temporarily remove the valves till Rivian can get their act together and address the real issue which is why is so much water getting in his doors while other owners don't have this issue.

I remember unplugging the door drain holes in some of my vehicles over the years.. they were just plain holes or gill fin slots in the door bottoms.
Where are the drain plugs in the doors? Iā€™ve been unable to locate them, but in fairness Iā€™ve not looked that hard

Tr4ckD4ys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

I have the same issue on a 2023 truck (November delivery). Itā€™s in service now for a bunch of things including this issue. But yeah - one rainstorm and you can hear the water in doors sloshing on every passionate right/left turn from stop (not when going straight start/stop though).

BWillR1T

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Audi Q7
Occupation
Construction Executive
Clubs

I had mine for over a year before I noticed a water issue. I took it to SC and told them to just remove the one-way valve plugs as I donā€™t intend to ford that much water. If I ever do it can drain out.

My theory is the water isnā€™t coming through the door frame at top but rather at the interface of the bottom of the window and the weather strip on the exterior. This likely canā€™t be a super watertight seal as it would create too much friction on the window to go up and down.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Where are the drain plugs in the doors? Iā€™ve been unable to locate them, but in fairness Iā€™ve not looked that hard
Take a look at this thread for a fix:

GogglesPisano

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Do those vehicles advertise the ability to drive through 3 ft of water? It needs to keep water out but also let water out.
My Jeep does just fine. Look at it this way, fording through 3ft of water and some getting in the door briefly during a crossing is better than it staying in the door for days.

RivnSoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5, ZHP, R1T, E36 M3
Occupation
Tax payer
Yes, I have the stupid sloshing water sounds after rain on passenger side doors. I thought I was going crazy hearing the sloshing water sounds and looking for water bottles under the seats.
I'm not too terribly worried about it, it goes away. "Glad" others have it too..

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
I went through this with my truck. The water was collecting in the cladding, not inside the doors, and the Service Center told me drains were installed backwards. No water to report for over a year now once they got the drains in correctly.

BTW, like pretty much all sunroofs/convertible the top drains should be through the a-pillars.

Sponsored

ggsmith

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Acura RDX, Rivian R1S(almost)
Occupation
semi-retired
First thought.... park inside when heavy rain forcast. I know, not helpful.
I was of the impression that virtually all vehicles expect water to flow into the doors due to leaking around the windows so the concern should be not so much that the water enters but that it does not drain out. Probably a design issue where it was expected that the window seal would be perfect.

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

This is a defect that some trucks have. Mine did, they replaced a seal, it stopped.

Santa Cruz Rivian

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
After rain I get a loud sloshing sound that seems to come from behind the rear seat (not in the bed, at least visibly). Anyone else have this? I park with the front downhill, it seems to go away after driving a short distance.

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I just noticed this after the heavy SoCal rains. Seems to be from drivers front or passenger side. I already have a Service apt scheduled for the 13. Is it OK to wait that long? Any way to drain it myself?
Sponsored