Sponsored

Does your flashlight work?

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Mine apparently doesn't anymore. I can see the LED light up but it's so dim it would be barely usable in a darkroom, it flashes as you turn it on which is maybe indicating it thinks it's super dead.

I don't know why - it's lived in the door this entire time, I tried letting it warm up, trying it again, and also re-seating it but no dice, has anyone had the flashlight fail already? I'd assume if I put in a ticket they could just mail me another battery.

Edit: I think I found out what's wrong - for whatever reason it doesn't seem to 'seat' properly on the charger. If I hold it pressed into the door it will charge and work, but that's obviously impractical for usage. Where it naturally sits in the door either doesn't engage the charge pins or doesn't connect well enough to actually charge it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

try taking the battery out and putting it back in?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Rumor has it, regardless of RJ noting "the flashlight uses the same cell as the other 7,776 cells in the large pack"... the current flashlight uses a common cheap 18650 cell. If so, those cells are not nearly as robust as the larger 2170 cells in the vehicle battery pack and may have just worn down already.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Keeping it charged 100% probably killed the battery but it should still light up. 3 years isn’t a long time.

OP
OP
Arky

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
try taking the battery out and putting it back in?
Yeah tried that - tried warming it up, tried even probing the contacts but I get nothing (so I think there's probably some other circuitry interfering in their battery case thing). The light comes on when I take it out, it's just extremely dim and therefore useless. I hope it's just the cell and not the charger because I really don't want them taking apart my other door, but I have no real way to tell.

Rumor has it, regardless of RJ noting "the flashlight uses the same cell as the other 7,776 cells in the large pack"... the current flashlight uses a common cheap 18650 cell. If so, those cells are not nearly as robust as the larger 2170 cells in the vehicle battery pack and may have just worn down already.
They used a lithium iron phosphate cell in the flashlight. They're more robust than what's actually used in the HV pack (5-10x the cycle life and much less stress from high state of charge). They're just less often used because the energy density is lower. It's actually pretty smart on their part because they know it's going to be on the charge all the time.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
Turn it in for warranty. If it’s the 7,777 battery doesn’t it have 8 years, 175,000 miles?

Mickey

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
Mine apparently doesn't anymore. I can see the LED light up but it's so dim it would be barely usable in a darkroom, it flashes as you turn it on which is maybe indicating it thinks it's super dead.

I don't know why - it's lived in the door this entire time, I tried letting it warm up, trying it again, and also re-seating it but no dice, has anyone had the flashlight fail already? I'd assume if I put in a ticket they could just mail me another battery.

Edit: I think I found out what's wrong - for whatever reason it doesn't seem to 'seat' properly on the charger. If I hold it pressed into the door it will charge and work, but that's obviously impractical for usage. Where it naturally sits in the door either doesn't engage the charge pins or doesn't connect well enough to actually charge it.
I have the same issue. Started with a good flashlight that eventually went dead. Rivian sent another new one but it did the exact same thing. The flashlight charging port has an issue needing attention. You've probably found the problem, so Rivian needs to provide the fix... without us owners having to make a long trip back to an RSC!

Edit: Going on Arky's edit, I tried testing it out. I pushed my very dim light all the way into its holder/charger and held it fully pushed in with a wedged golf tee. Came back later and bingo!... I have a very bright, fully chared flashlight. So, can we buy Rivian flashlight charging golf tees in their store site? :giggle:
Are you Listening, Rivian?

Last edited:

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
Mine does the same thing. I have a service appointment scheduled for mid December. I’ll add this item to my fix list and update this thread after my appointment.

MasterQuesti

First Name
Mass
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/ R1T
Occupation
Tech
I never received a flashlight. Submitted a ticket day 1. That was September. SSF SC appointment in January :/

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
More issues. Will they ever stop???????

Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
The nature of these forums, ditto for the Kia Niro EV one, is that there is very little reason to post that there are no problems. Storms are news, expected weather, ho hum...

Wowme22

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
I encountered this same issue after 6 months of ownership. Rivian is sending mobile technician to address the issue.
Sponsored