Sponsored

Does Rivian have an OBD-II (OBD 2) Port?

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
So is there an OBD-ii port pictured here or confirmation if Rivian did or didn’t add a port? I’m also currently on a per-mile insurance plan.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
So is there an OBD-ii port pictured here or confirmation if Rivian did or didn’t add a port? I’m also currently on a per-mile insurance plan.
There is a port. It just won’t give you most of the info you’d get from a conventional ICE vehicle. I refuse to use insurance dongles, but I imagine they would work, since they mostly just need power.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
It’s below the screw on the left hand side.

the clear/white thing is a light.

a76marine

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Jeep J10 (Pickup Truck) & 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analytics and Intelligence
Clubs

Has anyone tried plugging in an OBD-2 scanner yet to see if we can get any data on apps like Car Scanner ELM OBD2 app?

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

They won't be alone, and I'm certainly not trying to blame Rivian for going this route if they choose to. My issue is more with the insurance companies not giving a crap. Per-mile customers are a pretty tiny percentage of the universe of car insurance customers. Out of that tiny percentage, an even tinier number will have vehicles without OBD-II ports. That's why I see insurance companies just saying 'well, tough luck, buddy' and proceeding to concentrate on the remaining 99.9% of their customers.
a lot of insurance companies have an app on your phone to do this…probably a better tool…phones can show acceleration/deceleration rates, hard braking, etc more stuff those companies care about…so don’t really need the port….

Sponsored

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Yes, there is an OBD port, but it provides 12v and locked down ethernet, not J1939 or CAN that most OBD devices need. We are working on doing something with it

staytuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Yes, there is an OBD port, but it provides 12v and locked down ethernet, not J1939 or CAN that most OBD devices need. We are working on doing something with it
Interested to see what you figure out!

I just noticed this cable yesterday and intend to pick one up, or make one, and start tinkering.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I've watched a Rivian tech connect their laptop via the OBD port so it is functional and provides bi-directional data. It just isn't the "standard" you're hoping for to interface with off-the-shelf tools.

kallisti5

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T

Gdorff

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi RS5
Occupation
Business owner / CIO
I've posted everything learned so far about Rivian's ODB2 port on my unofficial service guide:
https://github.com/kallisti5/rivian-service-guide#odb2-port

I'd really like to get some information on the "official" Rivian ODB2 cable. If anyone has one, please open it up and snap some pictures :)

https://rivianservicetools.com/Catalog/Product/TSN00535-300-A?groupId=192

At minimum, measure the resistance between pins 8 and 16 to confirm it's the standard "~500 ohm"
I just ordered one of the cables, when I get it I'll look to see what I can regarding it and a tear down.

kallisti5

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I just ordered one of the cables, when I get it I'll look to see what I can regarding it and a tear down.
Thanks :) My goal is to churn them out cheap to get more people poking at the DoIP stuff. If they're identical to the BMW cables, it's pretty simple. If they need modified i'd like to get the changes documented.
Sponsored