Sponsored

Does Rivian have an OBD-II (OBD 2) Port?

bornagain3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Odyssey EXL NAVI/RES
Does any one know if Rivian has an OBD-II (OBD 2) Port for diagnostics scan tools?
If not, all these diagnostics messages reading/running service routines will be done by wirelessly through the telematic unit?
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I believe it is required by law. But as such what is on it will be limited. The bulk of the meaty data will be carried on internal busses (CAN?, Ethernet?...) not accessible to us.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I believe it is required by law. But as such what is on it will be limited. The bulk of the meaty data will be carried on internal busses (CAN?, Ethernet?...) not accessible to us.
Only required for vehicles with an ICE.
Most EV manufacturers use the same physical connector to hook up to diagnostic machines, but the pinouts and data accessibility are not standardized in EV applications (it was standardized with ICE vehicles for emissions testing).
Model S and X come with one (with power and ground only?)
Model 3 and Y(?) do not have one. There are several aftermarket solutions for adding an OBD port for dongles. These are commonly used for insurance "safe driver" programs and other vehicle monitoring uses. Our local utility is partnering with Fleetcarma and giving users participating $100 to $800 while gathering charging and driving data:
SmartCharge PGE is a pilot program which will help us better understand how to optimize the power grid for increased adoption of EVs, while keeping charging costs low for electric vehicle drivers.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Interesting, I did not know this. I currently have a per-mile insurance plan that logs my miles using a device plugged in to the OBD-II port. If the device isn't plugged in I get charged for a full 250 miles a day (which is meant to be prohibitively expensive by design). Other insurance providers also use such devices to measure "safe" driving for optional discounts. I'm sure there will be alternate and easier ways to access that info, but I doubt insurance companies will start making exceptions for Rivians if there isn't a port.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Interesting, I did not know this. I currently have a per-mile insurance plan that logs my miles using a device plugged in to the OBD-II port. If the device isn't plugged in I get charged for a full 250 miles a day (which is meant to be prohibitively expensive by design). Other insurance providers also use such devices to measure "safe" driving for optional discounts. I'm sure there will be alternate and easier ways to access that info, but I doubt insurance companies will start making exceptions for Rivians if there isn't a port.
The requirement came from the EPA, not the insurance industry. And Rivian wouldn't be alone if they didn't provide an OBD-II compatible connector.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
The requirement came from the EPA, not the insurance industry. And Rivian wouldn't be alone if they didn't provide an OBD-II compatible connector.
They won't be alone, and I'm certainly not trying to blame Rivian for going this route if they choose to. My issue is more with the insurance companies not giving a crap. Per-mile customers are a pretty tiny percentage of the universe of car insurance customers. Out of that tiny percentage, an even tinier number will have vehicles without OBD-II ports. That's why I see insurance companies just saying 'well, tough luck, buddy' and proceeding to concentrate on the remaining 99.9% of their customers.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
My Bolt has the port, but when connecting my OBD-ll reader, it provides nothing useful. But I can get any diagnostics from the MyChevrolet App that is connected via OnStar. I even get emails from them, such as low tire pressure warnings.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
My Bolt has the port, but when connecting my OBD-ll reader, it provides nothing useful. But I can get any diagnostics from the MyChevrolet App that is connected via OnStar. I even get emails from them, such as low tire pressure warnings.
Same with my old Mini cooper - had a decent amount of information fed straight into the app, especially the kinda stuff insurance would be concerned with like mileage.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bornagain3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I read that that law was changed not to require OBD 2 port anymore in EVs - as mentioned by @DucRider . I believe conventional chassis data will be broadcasted on CAN bus and video/audio/any big data will be on Ethernet. Of course, all of them will not be accessed to the end user.

OP
OP

bornagain3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Most EV manufacturers use the same physical connector to hook up to diagnostic machines, but the pinouts and data accessibility are not standardized in EV applications (it was standardized with ICE vehicles for emissions testing).
Model S and X come with one (with power and ground only?)
Model 3 and Y(?) do not have one. There are several aftermarket solutions for adding an OBD port for dongles. These are commonly used for insurance "safe driver" programs and other vehicle monitoring uses. Our local utility is partnering with Fleetcarma and giving users participating $100 to $800 while gathering charging and driving data:
SmartCharge PGE is a pilot program which will help us better understand how to optimize the power grid for increased adoption of EVs, while keeping charging costs low for electric vehicle drivers.
Thanks for the accurate, detailed answers. I will look into Fleetcarma/SmartCharge PGE. Thank you!

OP
OP

bornagain3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I know Progressive give you two options: OBD Dongle (the original device) and Mobile Phone. I'm not sure 100% but I assume the Mobile Phone option will require you to turn on location sharing and will get speed data to see if there is any hard braking/sudden acceleration.

OP
OP

bornagain3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OBD-II is no longer required for electric cars. Here are a couple of interesting reads:

https://enrg.io/diagnostic-ports-electric-vehicles/
https://www.automotive-iq.com/elect...hicles-are-rewriting-the-rules-of-diagnostics

It remains to be seen what Rivian will implement.
Thanks for the links. I remember in one of the Rivian's videos showing the Normal plant that a women is holding an iPad-like device. I believe that's what Rivian is using to gather vehicle diagnostic data wirelessly while building cars.