First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
So how do we differentiate the BS from fact?
Very good question! Really the only way is to be familiar with the basic physics/mathematics/engineering/software design practices. Clearly Sandy Monroe could tell but even experienced people can be duped. I spent a lot of time in my career listening to a wide spectrum of engineers with a wide spectrum of motives pitch a wide spectrum of proposals. I got pretty good at detecting BS. I have seen a lot of videos by this guy and he's not a BSer.

I tried to find something from the EPA directly, but all they seem to publish to the public is fluff and nothing that spells out exactly what and how they test.
The actual tests are SAE promulgated tests. The first step is to find out which ones of these the EPA demands. That's probably buried in some FAR. I haven't had much luck either. And if you find out the SAE procedure number you will find you will have to join the SAE to get a copy at what is still a pretty high price.

It never occurred to me to do something so obvious as write the EPA.
Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Very good question! Really the only way is to be familiar with the basic physics/mathematics/engineering/software design practices. Clearly Sandy Monroe could tell but even experienced people can be duped. I spent a lot of time in my career listening to a wide spectrum of engineers with a wide spectrum of motives pitch a wide spectrum of proposals. I got pretty good at detecting BS. I have seen a lot of videos by this guy and he's not a BSer.

The actual tests are SAE promulgated tests. The first step is to find out which ones of these the EPA demands. That's probably buried in some FAR. I haven't had much luck either. And if you find out the SAE procedure number you will find you will have to join the SAE to get a copy at what is still a pretty high price.

Sandy Munro's guys have 5 R1T's ordered and 5 CyberTruck reservations and have stated he will do a teardown of each. I'm praying he has an R1T torn down before Christmas.

DRIAFS

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer, Mercedes C300, BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Insurance
The curb weight for an R1s is listed at 5842 lb
Does any one know what is the weight with the Max Pack ?
There may be special tax considerations for vehicles over 6000 LB

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Would anyone think to save the current $10K, and upgrade in a few years? Could that be a possibility?
Yes, that is a consideration.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

It's not that hard to find the options provided to manufacturers by the EPA. I haven't chimed in because I'm not particularly eager to get into an argument over semantics on EPA range, but thought it would help clear things up to provide links from the federal government to the testing sequences and how there are multiple options available to manufacturers.
https://www.epa.gov/vehicle-and-fuel-emissions-testing/dynamometer-drive-schedules

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/EPA test procedure for EVs-PHEVs-11-14-2017.pdf

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=35113&flag=1

Tesla uses the 5 cycle method. Other manufacturers use the method which includes a reduction to 70% of the predicted range with fewer cycles. My understanding is manufacturers can also voluntarily take a larger reduction. Which is apparently what both Ford and Porsche have done. I say apparently, because I don't have the time to track down the exactly documentation showing that (if it's even available), but have seen it noted by multiple reputable news sources and it shows in the performance of the vehicles in real world constant (or near constant) speed tests. Which is not what the EPA test is measuring, but performance in those relative to the EPA test does provide valuable data points for the type of travel that matters with range.

Also worth noting is that you can back-out the EPA highway range and not the combined range from the EPA ratings. Most vehicles seem to be pretty close to the highway range. At least when you look at the 70 mph loops InsideEVs performs.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Ray R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Thanks for posting those links. The middle one seems to match what the article I posted earlier stated.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

So what's the scuttlebutt on timing for R1T's with the Max Pack? Summer 2022 perhaps

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I think you meant "Not So S0000N"

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
OP
OP

Ray R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Well, it seems I’m down to switching between Large and Max only six times a week now. :)

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Well, it seems I’m down to switching between Large and Max only six times a week now. :)
I think I switched only once this week back to Large, then re-ran common trips we take and I’m back to Max. I’m not changing anymore unless the tax laws change.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.