Soju1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

I placed my order today. Looking forward to receiving this after all the issues i've had with another vendor.

vogtaction

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1t
Occupation
Sales
Too bad about the sag, but I think you're right, binding them into panels of 3 with some form of stiffener will make a big difference. I thought it was more like wood, but it seems like it's a 'trex' decking type product? More plastic than wood, is that correct? Should hold up to the elements pretty well then!
Well, this is my temporary manual tonneau cover, a work in process:
Since my truck had the end caps on the rails, I cut the caps such that the slots continue through the end caps.
Then I cut (to a length of 54 5/8") ten slats of the Shou Sugi Ban. At this point, I just slide the ten slats into the rails. The slats are a bit too flexible, so they sag some, as you can see in the photo. Eventually I expect to bind them into three panels, with at least one 1/2" aluminum channel or angle across each panel. That should stiffen them up.

I would like to caution anyone who might consider these NewTechWood slats of two things:
1) Most (or all) of the slats had one end from the factory which was cut way out of square. I didn't notice this until I had cut several slats to length.
2) There was shipping damage on some of the slats in each of the two boxes of five. Home Depot didn't stock them locally, so I had to order them, and wait about ten days. Fortunately, I was able to cut off (as waste) the worst of the damage.

black slats.jpg
I also made mine out of this same material about two weeks ago now. I luckily didn't have any issues with shipping damage. I found that they slide much better when. cutting a little shorter than needed. I made 4 sections, the two middle are 3 slats, the front is 2 and rear is 2.25. I used some rolled c channel to combine the slats together, then sliding door latches to keep each section at the same level as the next one connected to it (might change and do 6 latches soon). For sagging, I have a piece in the middle up against the front and one at the rear standing up against the tailgate. Both are notched so one long piece slides into the notches and pushes up on the middle of all slats for support. I dont really care of this technique, but it is what it is until I figure out a better idea. I might buy some aluminum L shaped channel and run one on each side of the four slat ends, then I shouldn't need the door latches anymore, as each should stay level all the way across. Your'e right about the rugged wood look matching the inside trim!
Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? 265DE388-0DDF-4816-96CF-D17B7B261661.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? 0C60E384-E19E-4F43-A58B-06CCEF7A26CC.JPG

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
This batch that yours is in would have been out a lot sooner, but I ran into trouble with my CNC and spent a little over a week just working through that. Murphy’s law I suppose. Thanks for your patience!
No worries. It happens. Do you have an ETA on when they're actually getting picked up by UPS? Not in a rush, just want to plan my schedule around it.

Sponsored

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec

Smashby

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
Purchasing Manager
I don’t think the cab side needs it because there’s already some there from the factory. I just made sure the pointy part of the V channel on the fence slats was facing the cab. It hasn’t rained yet here but I have some leftover weather stripping from the maverick cover I bought and returned if I end up needing it. As it stands now the tailgate has constant pressure on the last slat so there isn’t much room anyway
You mentioned you removed the weather stripping from the side rails. Where they easy to take out? I don't want to destroy them as I have a Rivian manual tonneau on order still so I'm going to want to have them in there, but these 7/8" are tight with that stripping in there so taking them out may be beneficial if I can avoid damaging them and abler to reuse....what was your experience with the removal?

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
You mentioned you removed the weather stripping from the side rails. Where they easy to take out? I don't want to destroy them as I have a Rivian manual tonneau on order still so I'm going to want to have them in there, but these 7/8" are tight with that stripping in there so taking them out may be beneficial if I can avoid damaging them and abler to reuse....what was your experience with the removal?
Extremely easy to remove. I only removed the very thin strip closest to the bed on each side, I think there’s a thicker one on the far side that I didn’t mess with. They should go back in super easy also

Smashby

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
Purchasing Manager
Extremely easy to remove. I only removed the very thin strip closest to the bed on each side, I think there’s a thicker one on the far side that I didn’t mess with. They should go back in super easy also
Thanks Again. Just did that and yes very simple. Now, I think I have some clips on the very end, did you do anything with those, I cut mine to length 54-5/8" and am having issues getting them in, I think it's because of the end pieces. Any trick how to get those off or did you just force them in there?

rkccs257

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm not proud of it but hey it works. Tomorrow is the real test as it'll rain tomorrow in Portland, OR....

Rough country's hard trifold tonneau cover, maverick's size. I had to take off a few goodie layers.... I hope it works!

There's a bit of a gap at the tailgate. I think I'll just put some weather seal and it should be good....

Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? PXL_20230415_033749078

Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? PXL_20230415_033735867

Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? PXL_20230415_033251440

Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? PXL_20230415_032654197

Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? PXL_20230415_032515203

Last edited:

Sponsored

Smashby

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
Purchasing Manager
I'm not proud of it but hey it works. Tomorrow is the real test as it'll rain tomorrow in Portland, OR....

Rough country's hard trifold tonneau cover, maverick's size. I had to take off a few goodie layers.... I hope it works!

There's a bit of a gap at the tailgate. I think I'll just put some weather seal and it should be good....

PXL_20230415_033749078.jpg

PXL_20230415_033735867.jpg

PXL_20230415_033251440.jpg

PXL_20230415_032654197.jpg

PXL_20230415_032515203.jpg
Looks Great! I just finished brancky3's mod using vinyl fence panels. I've got a Rivian manual tonneau on order so that seemed like a cheapish and easy option to tide me over. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

krails

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Yeah, but they don’t have my state of the art production facilities. 🤣

A8F90A0F-70FB-4B72-89D7-F7904C28339C.jpeg
Festool for the win!

Still waiting on my R1T to arrive, but when it does this is the one I'm going to try to replicate. Thanks for sharing so many details. Great community here!

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Thanks Again. Just did that and yes very simple. Now, I think I have some clips on the very end, did you do anything with those, I cut mine to length 54-5/8" and am having issues getting them in, I think it's because of the end pieces. Any trick how to get those off or did you just force them in there?
I just forced it in after crushing it by hand (the first time the ends are flexed after cutting it’s a little stiff) but I might have cut mine slightly shorter, I don’t recall. I’m just happy the manual tonneau is only a couple months away

Smashby

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
Purchasing Manager
Got it finished last night. Here is what mine looks like, 9 of these panels fit perfectly and with cutting the supports about 3" or so, allowed for the ends to squish down enough to not have to take out the end caps...which sounds a bit tricky and risky of breaking tabs unless you are extremely careful.
Is it waterproof, no but it is much better than nothing at all and adds some protection. The slats are kind of stiff to slide so they should remain tight however it would be a bit of a hassle to get them out if need be but I'm not too worried about that. I don't mind this grey colour either, kind of matches my Ocean Coast Interior. I got these panels from Home Depot. It's a good alternative until my Rivian Manual Tonneau comes in...who knows, by then they may have a new auto cover that they can retrofit....for a price of course.

This was all thanks to brancky3 mod.

Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? IMG_2987
Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? IMG_2988
Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? IMG_2989
Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? IMG_2990
Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? IMG_2992
Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? IMG_2991

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Looks good and I like the gray! I wouldn’t call it my mod though, I think several have done it before me :p
Sponsored