Sponsored

Cybertruck Highway Range Test by Out Of Spec

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Battery is similar size as Rivian and no one is complaining about the R1T battery size.
Remember Kyle is starting with a very WARM battery at 100 percent. If I do the same I know I can get close to 300 miles on R1T/21"/Conserve on a long trip at close to freezing temps.

Something is not right with CT; It's lighter and more aerodynamic...maybe tires are too aggressive.
Actually battery is smaller on CT by 12 KWh. It's less aerodynamic and bigger. Tires are bigger (35" vs 34").

It's frankly fairly efficient considering the above. It just needs a bigger battery.
Sponsored

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2017MX; 2022 Ioniq5 (2)
Actually battery is smaller on CT by 12 KWh. It's less aerodynamic and bigger. Tires are bigger (35" vs 34").

It's frankly fairly efficient considering the above. It just needs a bigger battery.
Battery use he got out of R1T is 128kWh vs 124kWh on CT.... this is after running past zero in both cases.

I'll stick with Rivian for now.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
Rivian currently better.
Not quite so simple. Here's the second graph which shows the user experience, taking into account efficiency*
Rivian R1T R1S Cybertruck Highway Range Test by Out Of Spec 1704991363047

* of course there are STILL more caveats and variables, like test conditions, and that this data is derived from a theoretical max charging curve if there was no thermal derating, which is a common issue with Rivian.

Admittedly this graph does have the issue of what your SOC is when you start charging. I don't have the risk tolerance to arrive with 0%

Sponsored

scottf200

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Past Ford Exped; curr TMX 100D; future BEV truck
Occupation
sw engineer
Not quite so simple. Here's the second graph which shows the user experience, taking into account efficiency*
1704991363047.png

* of course there are STILL more caveats and variables, like test conditions, and that this data is derived from a theoretical max charging curve if there was no thermal derating, which is a common issue with Rivian.

Admittedly this graph does have the issue of what your SOC is when you start charging. I don't have the risk tolerance to arrive with 0%
That is a very strange label '70 Mph Range Added'

It is interesting that you can click on the label and see all the data for each test. It shows the tires, temp, etc.

Range testing is VERY hard. It is like you need the same sets of tires & drive the trucks at the same time on the same route. Overall competition is good for US.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
That is a very strange label '70 Mph Range Added'
The classic 1 hour long video from Out of Spec explains (and adds other context), but tldw: it's result from their own test, which they decided to use as their own "standard":

Range testing is VERY hard. It is like you need the same sets of tires & drive the trucks at the same time on the same route. Overall competition is good for US.
I'm glad to see at least some of the test variables included in the graph mouse-over info (software version notably missing), so you can interpret and try to apply to your own situation. I can see an argument that looking at charge profile removes some of those variables.

scottf200

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
sw engineer
1704991363047.png

So this chart is saying that on a road trip doing 70 mph given your vehicle efficiency (Wh/mile) and charging speed (kW) this is the comparison? Can that be reworded better/more_correctly?

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
So this chart is saying that on a road trip doing 70 mph given your vehicle efficiency (Wh/mile) and charging speed (kW) this is the comparison? Can that be reworded better/more_correctly?
I think the biggest caveat worth adding is the starting SOC. Thinking more about this, I bet the Rivian vs Cybertruck range-added/time graph would look wildly different if you plugged at 20%.

scottf200

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
sw engineer
I think the biggest caveat worth adding is the starting SOC. Thinking more about this, I bet the Rivian vs Cybertruck range-added/time graph would look wildly different if you plugged at 20%.
That is why I was highlighting the road tripping example of charging in my chart example with the yellow. That is very typical for many peoples needs. (10% is actually ~30 miles so not that scary ... you just don't want to miss your exit!! - oh heck your in a truck so turn around anywhere :-} )

Sponsored

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Battery use he got out of R1T is 128kWh vs 124kWh on CT.... this is after running past zero in both cases.

I'll stick with Rivian for now.
Ditto. Rivian fits my use case better as I don't need a huge bed, I like the gear tunnel, my PTC works, and I like the smaller size better. With the impending access to Tesla SC, my R1T will be perfect. Now, if 2 years from now Tesla increases the battery on the CT, I will revisit the issue.

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
Agreed.

Maybe @OutofSpecKyle can add an adjustment to choose the starting percentage and/or starting range (at 70mph). It's a very stressful trip for most people to arrive at a charger with 0%. 10-20% seems a lot more reasonable. (Hence the 10% challenge, not the 0% challenge)

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
Also, the Rivian efficiency data is with 20" wheels.

scottf200

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
sw engineer
Also, the Rivian efficiency data is with 20" wheels.
Left label in OutOfSpec chart lets you see all the data. I think both CT and Rivian were 20"
ATs -- The data is in that chart (click label or over over lines)
1) 2024 Tesla Cybertruck - Goodyear Wrangler Territory RT All Terrain tires
2) 2022 Rivian R1T - Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus tires
3) 2022 Ford F150 Lightning Platinum - General Grabber HTS tires
https://outofspecstudios.com/charging

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
So the Cybertruck and Rivian have pretty similar charging curves and efficiencies. Not surprising.

Rivian is still relatively slow at charging compared to the best in the business (Hyundai, Kia, Porsche, Lucid), but Tesla isn't any better. So for all the hype around the 4680 cells, Tesla hasn't made any real technological break throughs.
Sponsored