First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Occupation
doc
Just curious to know how many out there are current or former Tesla owners who are considering a Rivian vehicle. I have a 2013 Tesla Model S. I've been largely pleased with it over the past 9 years, but after nearly a decade of driving this around in the Chicago climate, it's starting to show its age. I will probably be in the market some time in the next 2-3 years. The car has served me well, but I am not happy with the current direction of Tesla (and I can't stand the yoke), the continued issues with build quality, and the service is getting harder to tolerate.

I've been a closet pickup fan for most of my life, but I have no real need for a pickup (what person who drives into the city and works at a hospital needs a pickup?). But, that's not the point - I like the pickup.

In searching for a future vehicle, the things that will probably matter the most to me are service and the charging network. Interestingly, I had neither of them when I started in 2013. But, they are factors upon which I've come to depend and will factor heavily in my decision.

What are you Tesla owners concerned about or elated about? Thoughts from current Rivian owners (previous Tesla owners or not)???
Sponsored

hroussel

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3 perf, (R1T DMP reserved)
Just curious to know how many out there are current or former Tesla owners who are considering a Rivian vehicle. I have a 2013 Tesla Model S. I've been largely pleased with it over the past 9 years, but after nearly a decade of driving this around in the Chicago climate, it's starting to show its age. I will probably be in the market some time in the next 2-3 years. The car has served me well, but I am not happy with the current direction of Tesla (and I can't stand the yoke), the continued issues with build quality, and the service is getting harder to tolerate.
I have a 2017 S75D and the R1S is high on my list.

Totally agree with you regarding the yoke in the new S, and the quality issues. Really unfortunate considering how amazing their new motor is (near peak power all the way to vehicle top speed).

Having said that there are also other contenders as a replacement for my S, beside Rivian.

There's the new i4 M50, if I decide to keep a car and not a SUV. Lucid is tempting but the canadian price is not very good. I get much more for the money if I buy a german brand for example.

The Kia EV6 GT might also be a contender, depending when it will arrive. It looks really good, and charges fast.

On the SUV side there's also the iX M60. Tesla Bjorn started testing the xDrive50 model, so I'm curious to see the results (charging and 1000km challenge especially).

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

I've been a closet pickup fan for most of my life, but I have no real need for a pickup (what person who drives into the city and works at a hospital needs a pickup?). But, that's not the point - I like the pickup.

In searching for a future vehicle, the things that will probably matter the most to me are service and the charging network. Interestingly, I had neither of them when I started in 2013. But, they are factors upon which I've come to depend and will factor heavily in my decision.

What are you Tesla owners concerned about or elated about? Thoughts from current Rivian owners (previous Tesla owners or not)???
Current Model S owner, I will be keeping that.

I have been looking to replace my Jeep GC with an EV, the R1S is really the first (and currently only) vehicle that is a suitable replacement. Have not had a chance to get my hands on an R1S but did have a chance to drive the R1T and based on that I feel I will have what I need and more in the R1S

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Selling my Model 3 when my R1T LE arrives - I'd much rather have a flexible EV truck to haul my dirt bikes than a four door sedan.

Last edited:

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Just sold my 2015 Model S. Loved the thing and it served me well for 6 years, but it was always a patient wait for a true electric truck or SUV. Got a super early spot in line for Bollinger, but they priced themselves out of reason when it went from $65k to $125k at the reveal and opening for preorders. I preordered a Rivian the next day. And still patiently (well, at least somewhat) waiting for my Rivian. The Tesla simply wasn’t well suited for the amount of time I spend off pavement, so I bought a 4Runner to tide me over which will be replaced by the R1T in (hopefully!) May-June.

Sponsored

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

I have a 2017 S75D and the R1S is high on my list.

Totally agree with you regarding the yoke in the new S, and the quality issues. Really unfortunate considering how amazing their new motor is (near peak power all the way to vehicle top speed).

Having said that there are also other contenders as a replacement for my S, beside Rivian.

There's the new i4 M50, if I decide to keep a car and not a SUV. Lucid is tempting but the canadian price is not very good. I get much more for the money if I buy a german brand for example.

The Kia EV6 GT might also be a contender, depending when it will arrive. It looks really good, and charges fast.

On the SUV side there's also the iX M60. Tesla Bjorn started testing the xDrive50 model, so I'm curious to see the results (charging and 1000km challenge especially).
The Kia EV6s are arriving. I am set to pick mine up tomorrow.

I am keeping my R1T reservation that Rivian estimates will be available July-Sep 2022. My expectation is more like 1H 2023.

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Did you have a preorder, or bought from dealer inventory?
I bought it from the dealers incoming inventory. The dealer notified me that he had (7) coming in 4 days ago. Mine came in today and completed DPI. I purchased a GT-Line AWD.

My contract price is MSRP and I am hoping they follow through on that.

I bought it site unseen. Dealer said that if I did not like it he would refund my deposit. We will see how it goes tomorrow.

Tomgriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 MS 70D, 2017 Chevy Bolt Premier, T700
I have a Tesla 2015 MS 70D (and Chevy Bolt). I love the MS and it will likely become my wife's car after R1T becomes my car. I think Tesla owners underestimate how much CCS fast charging has caught up. While I've seen youtube Electrify America horror stories, EA has worked well with the Chevy, not as easy as supercharging and can be glitchy, but has always worked within a 30 seconds to a few minutes (except once had to call EA customer service, took about 5 minutes to start charging, but worked). I think the gap between superchargers and CCS fast charging is closing and will continue to close. For me, charging network is not a huge factor in my decision making, but I only take a trip where I have to charge away from home once a month or so. I like the off road focus of the R1T. Rivian's charging network may end up being a huge advantage for off road/overlanding. I've always ridden off road motorcycles, but my knees aren't what they used to be, so I think I'm going to move into overlanding/jeep trails and I think the R1T is going to be the best of the soon to come EV trucks. Unlike some Tesla owners, I'm not wed to Tesla and will buy the vehicle that provides the best value while meeting my needs.

mpp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Audi R8, BMW M3, Toyota FJ Cruiser
I have a 2016 Model S 90D. I drive long distances weekly (400 mile round trip) and am dependent on the supercharging network. My drives can be cold and windy and when its both the power usage of the Model S can go from 300 Wh/mile very quickly to 600 Wh/mile destroying my range. And since the winds and temperatures are unpredictable I never know if I can make it and so top up frequently at the many superchargers available to me.

I am worried Rivian's adventure network of chargers will not be robust enough and Electrify America is ignoring my region (Montana) almost entirely. So for now I don't mind the delay in the Rivian delivery (MaxPack a necessity for me) while I see how the charging network builds out. I just continue to enjoy my Model S and unlimited free supercharging.

Sponsored

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I currently have a Model 3 and love it but I am in the market for a new SUV. I will keep the Model 3 and I currently have a preorder for a R1S. I was initially thinking about a Model Y but the 7 seat option is not really practical and the prices increased about $10k in less than a year and the wait time is in line with my R1S so I didn’t go with the Y. In truth I would prefer a Model X seven seater if it wasn’t so corky with those crazy doors. I realize they have their uses but the added costs and the constant issues people have with the doors make it less appealing. I would still consider it over the R1S if the price was more reasonable but at $110,000 and a 12 month wait, it is way too high a price.

Other than the Model X and the R1S, there are no other true 7 seater electric SUVs coming to market anytime soon. I would not go ICE to get a new 7 seater SUV; once you go electric, it is hard to go back in time to doing oil changes, pumping gas, and using your break pedal. The biggest concern I have with the R1S, and the main reason I would go with a Model X over the R1S if I could, is the inefficiency of the R1S. If you compare the two models, it isn’t even close; the R1S gets a combined MPGe of 69 and the X gets 102; that is 48% more efficient for the X. I understand you need more power for the 4 motors in the R1S and one is for off-roading while the other is for mall parking lots but if the name of the game is to be more climate change conscious, then the R1S is pretty bad when compared to the Model X. It became apparent when I was planning my charging times with my Model 3 and my R1S and realized that the battery pack in the R1S is so large that I would need to upgrade the electric service in my house from 100 amps to 200 amps in order to run the R1S, Model 3, and the A/C unit all at the same time without risking blowing up my electric box. And it would still take over 12 hours to charge the R1S fully overnight using their higher level charger. If I tried charging the R1S with the same plug I use for my model 3, it would charge it at 15 miles per hour and it would take 20 hours to fully charge the battery. It takes my model 3 about 5 hours, max (much smaller battery). Since the truck is so inefficient, it needs a bigger battery and it takes much longer to charge. That’s the challenge with the R1S for me. But I digress. Still love the R1S but it’s battery size will be a challenge to deal with.

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
I have a 2019 model 3 performance that I love. I’m going to be very torn on what to do when my explore R1S is available. I’m hoping we can find a way to keep the model 3, and dump my wife’s ICE suv for the R1S. The biggest hold up on that plan is that my wife doesn’t care for the R1S looks.

smiesguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Escalade
Occupation
Planner
Add me to the Model 3 owner list. The R1S was originally intended to replace my wife’s SUV and get us to an all electric household. With the delays we reconsidered and bought a new ICE SUV this summer. The R1S will replace the Model 3 and we will hold on to an ICE vehicle for one more cycle. I do love just about everything about my Model 3, its been my daily commuter to work. I’m fortunate to have 110v to charge for free at work which cover half my round trip.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
the main reason I would go with a Model X over the R1S if I could, is the inefficiency of the R1S. If you compare the two models, it isn’t even close; the R1S gets a combined MPGe of 69 and the X gets 102; that is 48% more efficient for the X.
I’m not sure about Los Angeles, but in Colorado you’ll look 48% cooler driving the R1S over the Model X. ?

NoICE

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, formerly Tesla 3, Tacoma Off-Road
Clubs

My 2018 Model 3 AWD with bigger battery has done well, but I'd like more cargo capacity and ruggedness. The Tesla just feels too delicate, and after shelling out thousands for their full-self-driving feature, I'm still waiting.
Sponsored