Current Tesla Owners: Moving to Rivian

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
We currently have a Model 3 and an Outback. Originally I was planning on trading in the older Outback and giving my wife the 3. However, after checking trade-in values on my 3 yesterday, I think I'm going to have to trade that in. Hard to pass up a trade-in value on a 4 year old car that's nearly the same as what I paid for the car originally. My wife will later trade in the Outback on something like an EV6 or something. I've been happy with my Tesla, but I don't like their vision of thinking the car will be able to do everything for you (as evidenced by the recent update where they try to urge the use of automatic seat heaters)
Sponsored

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
The biggest issue/concern/problem we have with non-Tesla EV's is fast charging infrastructure in SOME areas. Most areas it's fine and not a problem, but there are some areas we want to travel that have LIMITED DC fast charging infrastructure for non-Tesla's. We are looking at traveling to travel to Holland Michigan this summer and Superchargers are EVERYWHERE in Michigan, but non-Tesla DC fast chargers are LIMITED.

The current EV's we own have much less range than the Rivian, so this makes it more of a problem for us now that it will be once we get the Rivian.

fg_loki

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Right now, we have a Model 3 Performance, with a lease that ends in December this year.

I put the R1T order in a little over a week before the price rise.

Given how long it's likely to be before we get our R1T, a bit over 3 weeks ago, I placed an order for a Mini Cooper SE, which will do the job for us in the interim (we do have a 2-seater ICE car too). When the Mini shows up, I'm going to terminate my M3P lease early (for $0). Our daughter will likely inherit the Mini.

I was originally planning on getting another M3P, but the fact that there is absolutely no guarantee the quality of a replacement would even match our current one - 3 years later - made me rethink that decision. Plus the multiple reports of mismatched tires being put on new deliveries doesn't instill confidence.

Robotpedlr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivan R1S
Occupation
Sales
I just took delivery of a 22 Model S, which I will keep for years and will be getting the Rivian to replace my 2017 Chevy Colorado (Diesel).

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
The refreshed Model S LR is looking like a good value among premium EVs. A few years ago I never thought that would be true in 2022.

I drove by a little league field yesterday in an affluent area that has had Teslas from the beginning. Of the 50 parents cars at the field there was one Tesla, and the rest almost entirely upmarket three row SUVs.

I don't think most of these people will buy a Tesla's three row offering. Many of these people have opted to not buy the Model X. I think they want a larger square back EV SUV. I think Rivian has it just right with the R1S for that demographic.

Musk being a weirdo has really worked well for Tesla and hopefully Rivian too. Rivian fills the few large holes in Tesla's lineup.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Right now, we have a Model 3 Performance, with a lease that ends in December this year.

I put the R1T order in a little over a week before the price rise.

Given how long it's likely to be before we get our R1T, a bit over 3 weeks ago, I placed an order for a Mini Cooper SE, which will do the job for us in the interim (we do have a 2-seater ICE car too). When the Mini shows up, I'm going to terminate my M3P lease early (for $0). Our daughter will likely inherit the Mini.

I was originally planning on getting another M3P, but the fact that there is absolutely no guarantee the quality of a replacement would even match our current one - 3 years later - made me rethink that decision. Plus the multiple reports of mismatched tires being put on new deliveries doesn't instill confidence.
I would check the buy option on that lease. The book value of the car is probably much higher than the contracted buy price. You could buy the vehicle and drive it until the Rivian is delivered and might even be able to pocket a little cash.

fg_loki

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
I would check the buy option on that lease. The book value of the car is probably much higher than the contracted buy price. You could buy the vehicle and drive it until the Rivian is delivered and might even be able to pocket a little cash.
It's a lease through Tesla, for all Model 3's (and Y's I think), there is no buy option, you have to give it back to Tesla at the end.

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I drove by a little league field yesterday in an affluent area that has had Teslas from the beginning. Of the 50 parents cars at the field there was one Tesla, and the rest almost entirely upmarket three row SUVs.

I don't think most of these people will buy a Tesla's three row offering. Many of these people have opted to not buy the Model X. I think they want a larger square back EV SUV. I think Rivian has it just right with the R1S for that demographic.
exactly this. We passed on an X given the chance due to its weird shaping. With kids, we wanted the square back and 3 rows and the Mercedes SUV (GL/GLS) was much more spacious from a practical perspective . It’s been proven in our trips and such to be the right decision. The Rivian R1S is going to eventually replace that at some point.
Sponsored