Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Because all of us kids of the 80s that loved Transformers and GoBots (Leader1 is still the best) are 40+ with good amounts of disposable income. Marketing 101.
I don’t think that’s it. Nearly all trucks (Ford, Ram, Toyota, GM) are going this way, and truck buyers aren’t skewed 40+.
Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I don't hate it like I do the Tundra.

RAM is the least transformer like, followed by Ford, then GM/Chevy with the Toyota Tundra being the biggest transformer ever. The Tacoma could be mid-pack depending on what the back looks like. Nissan is in a different class...

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
Wi
I don’t think that’s it. Nearly all trucks (Ford, Ram, Toyota, GM) are going this way, and truck buyers aren’t skewed 40+.
With the price of trucks today I don't know many under 40 that can afford them, at least under 5 years old. I can count on one hand those that I know under 40 that have fairly new trucks that aren't farmers or ranchers.

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Because 6th graders are always trying to prove something. Same answer to both questions
I asked my wife and she basically said the same thing, lol. I absolutely love the styling though. I never would have even thought to look at it in that way, however.

I always preferred the boxy luxury sedans of the 80s/90s and the boxy SUVs like the older Land Rovers and Landcruiser/Lexus GX. I wouldn’t have looked at those as trying to prove anything either, I just like straight lines and sharp angles. To equate that with masculinity or trying to prove something never crossed my mind.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

That is a million times better lookin’ than the new Tundra. I dig it.

This is what Toyota makes for the rest of the world.
Just saying 😒
IMG_2691.jpeg
Yea, I don’t get why Toyota doesn’t simply make the Hylux in the US. The Tundra is a great truck but the Hylux is a damn legend.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I think it looks good, but I also love the Tundra TRD Pro.

mr_xg78

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ, Tesla Y
That is a million times better lookin’ than the new Tundra. I dig it.

Yea, I don’t get why Toyota doesn’t simply make the Hylux in the US. The Tundra is a great truck but the Hylux is a damn legend.
Because no one would buy any other small pick up after that. They are reliable, cheap, workhorses that last for ever 😅

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It’s looks great - which I expected. Love the black roof with the white body. I still love my 2017 TRD Pro (white like the pic). If it were electric Toyota would get my money instead of Rivian. Too bad Toyota!

bgoldber88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T LE, 2021 BMW X3 PHEV
Occupation
Engineer
I think it looks good but I'm burned out on the "mean" look that a lot of these vehicles have. What I love about the R1's and Jeeps, for example, is they have a happy, friendly look to them. They don't have the massive oversized build with squinty headlights that look angry. I feel like the new Tundra, Tacoma, and the Ram are all very guilty of this look, same with the raptor.

Hope this post made sense :CWL:

Sponsored

Deleted member 7086

If Rivian can’t solve the gear lash between the half shafts and splines and the rattling damper/ shacks I may need to give the Tacoma EV a long hard look.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

No EV no care

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
If Rivian can’t solve the gear lash between the half shafts and splines and the rattling damper/ shacks I may need to give the Tacoma EV a long hard look.
This is me too. 2.5 hour round trips to service center combined with drivetrain slop and suspension noise = Tacoma EV here I come....

I do absolutely love my R1T...and at this time nothing comes close...but the service accessibility for me and overall service experience is lacking. I do really hope that Rivian gets that part of company up to speed and if so I will keep replacing with another Rivian. But if not and companies like Toyota come up with a sweet BEV Taco, then that might be the way...

Last edited:

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
This is me too. 2.5 hour round trips to service center combined with drivetrain slop and suspension noise = Tacoma EV here I come....
An EV Tacoma has been my dream car for a long time so I am hoping the early reviews are good. I still need to be able to tow a horse trailer so the tacoma isn't great for that, but for everything else, it's a great option.

I also can't get them to fix my driveline slop and it's starting to annoy me more and more every day. 3rd appt coming up in a month.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I don't understand why trucks continue to look more like transformers robots with more and more unnecessary embellishment, decals, etc.
That’s Toyota Design for ya. And “competition”?? It’s a hybrid with limited all electric range.
Sponsored