Sponsored

Cloudy backup camera

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

I cant clean the cloudiness off my backup camera. I rely on it heavily for my long driveway.

I'm embarrassed to say I did use rain-x for glass on it not knowing whether the lens was glass or plastic, but didn't think it would hurt.

I have had terrible salt on the truck from winter here in Chicago, but salt has never harmed my other cameras so i doubt thats the problem.

Have others had this problem or been successful at remedying it? I am contemplating trying a headlight restoration kit before taking it to service for likely replacement.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Haven't treated mine with anything, but the one in the plate area gets cloudy pretty quickly driving on wet salty roads around here. Have to clean it off pretty regularly. But after just a simple wipe with a finger, it's clear again.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I’m constantly wiping off the rear one.…maybe once a week.

OP
OP

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I wipe mine too but the cloudiness I'm referring to is not clearable with regular cleaning.

I did find an online reference somewhere where an individual claimed that if you use rain-x for glass (they have one for plastic too) on these lenses, they may have to be replaced.

Lucanjo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis G80, Honda Ridgeline, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I wipe mine too but the cloudiness I'm referring to is not clearable with regular cleaning.

I did find an online reference somewhere where an individual claimed that if you use rain-x for glass (they have one for plastic too) on these lenses, they may have to be replaced.
You should submit a service ticket, I read that someone had condensation in one of their cameras. Forget what forum that was on.
If it isn’t wiping off from just your finger it’s likely an issue inside the lens, probably water or condensation. If it is on the lens I would try and take a magic eraser and gently wipe it down.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

You should submit a service ticket, I read that someone had condensation in one of their cameras. Forget what forum that was on.
If it isn’t wiping off from just your finger it’s likely an issue inside the lens, probably water or condensation. If it is on the lens I would try and take a magic eraser and gently wipe it down.
That makes sense. The cloudiness is definitely "spotty" - clear in some areas, and not in others. As if there were drops inside.

Thanks

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I frequently have issues with the rear camera as well. I would like to use the bed rear camera to backup, at least to have the option to select that one. It gives a pretty good view if the gear guard videos are anything to go by, and it is high enough up to avoid road salt and rain.

The camera is too low in the R1 and it gets covered in crap pretty easily and doesn’t shed rain very well. Usually the cameras are recessed a little better so they don’t get so dirty.

DirtyJester

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 kona ev
Occupation
Millwright
I don’t think I’ve ever had one recessed. My kona and my ram are really bad for getting covered with gunk.

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

I've been wondering... are those external cameras are replaceable with better & higher resolution ones in the future?

OP
OP

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Well there you have it. It’s usually dark when I go to work and dark when I come out so today is the first day I got a good look.
Water droplets and ice crystals inside.
Looks like back to service.

Rivian R1T R1S Cloudy backup camera C1E276E5-2D92-4F57-88D1-2D1C1C78E359

Rivian R1T R1S Cloudy backup camera C13FCDEB-B262-45DA-AD3C-D20FA48B5A27

Sponsored

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
I've been wondering... are those external cameras are replaceable with better & higher resolution ones in the future?
Possibly. Replaced 2013 Ford Flex camera this past year when it quit. Aftermarket version is much improved day and night. Still not as good as my 2019 Ram or the Rt1 but much better than 2013 tech

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
My friend with an R1T had the same issue upon delivery. They ended up replacing the camera - which took 2 weeks while they waited on parts.

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.
I cant clean the cloudiness off my backup camera. I rely on it heavily for my long driveway.

I'm embarrassed to say I did use rain-x for glass on it not knowing whether the lens was glass or plastic, but didn't think it would hurt.

I have had terrible salt on the truck from winter here in Chicago, but salt has never harmed my other cameras so i doubt thats the problem.

Have others had this problem or been successful at remedying it? I am contemplating trying a headlight restoration kit before taking it to service for likely replacement.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Did a little research, and you could try using a micro-fiber cloth or baby wipe with some rubbing alcohol or windex.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Plastic polish made by NOVIS and a small pad attached to a drill. Tape off the area around the lens. Quick 5 minute job.

Rain-X probably ate away at the plastic a little.

gd_r1t

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Product manager
My front camera built up condensation inside and Rivian is replacing it next week.
Sponsored