Charging error question - using rivian charger at home

Weeyam eyesore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford maverick
Occupation
Working
Tonight was the first time I’ve ever plugged my r1t in at home and received an error with the red glow of shame. I have the rivian wall charger.

I went to my app. Realized the wall charger had disconnected from the wifi. I followed the rivian app instructions to reconnect my wall charger to the wifi. After I reconnected, everything was working perfect again.

My question - one that I had not thought of - do you need to be connected to wifi in order to charge with rivian wall charger at home? I use a a nema 14-50 at my in laws and there is no need for wifi. Yes I understand the other pros and cons of Rivian’s charger vs NEMA 14-50. But I had never considered the internet connectivity as being critical?

Rivian R1T R1S Charging error question - using rivian charger at home 3CEDA5DA-FCE9-4F3E-98D0-76F1658E542A
Sponsored

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
I got one of these tonight too, and also for the first time! In my case, it was, I think, because my charger (juicebox) does not allow charging until 9pm, since that's when it's cheaper for my utility. In any case, after the clock struck 9pm, the charger turned itself on and the red light went away and the truck is charging fine. The strange thing is, it had never shown me the red vehicle error during this no charge time while plugged in. Oh well. If it works fine after something trips it, that's fine by me.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I have 12k on mine, and it never happened in first 11750 miles and 8 months. Now 3 times in two weeks. No idea why....

Worst part is no alerts, so come to get ready to road trip and it had failed part way thru charge. So had to take an ICE vehicle instead.

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340, Tesla M3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

Same thing happened to me on Sunday. Not sure if coincidence, but I flipped the breaker switch for the charger from off to on and it started charging fine

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

Also a week ago this happened to me. Reset breaker and it worked.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
It would be nice of they could wait like 15 minutes and make a retry, like say 3 times, before giving up. Whatever the fault is it thinks it has is something being too picky, because mine restarts with a unplug and replug too. Or even tried changing charge level in app, and that triggered it to try again, and was successful.

An an alert to phone that if failed. Push text too.

Sort of a big deal when it fails and only way to know is check on it. And I charge off peak...so I am sleeping...wake up to an unusable truck.

Of all my anti-ev friends that have their plethora of anti-ev questions...this "little" issue is a bigger deal than all of them...

"Why didn't you drive the Rivian today"..."because the charging failed in the middle of the night".

Last edited:

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Are all these failed charging session using the Rivian Wallbox? And if so, do you have the latest firmware on the charger (mine is at v03.01.49)

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Curious if everyone is talking about failures are with Rivian chargers? Also do the auto update the charger firmware? Is there any log of updates to see if an update might be causing it to fail?

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Curious if everyone is talking about failures are with Rivian chargers? Also do the auto update the charger firmware? Is there any log of updates to see if an update might be causing it to fail?
Mine says V03.01.47

John G.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Retired
My question - one that I had not thought of - do you need to be connected to wifi in order to charge with rivian wall charger at home? I use a a nema 14-50 at my in laws and there is no need for wifi. Yes I understand the other pros and cons of Rivian’s charger vs NEMA 14-50. But I had never considered the internet connectivity as being critical?

3CEDA5DA-FCE9-4F3E-98D0-76F1658E542A.png
No, you do not need to be connected to WiFi in order to use the Rivian charger. I’ve been doing it without fail, or error messages since I got my R1t in mid-September.

Frankly, after I first installed the charger, I got tired of the trouble I was having trying to connect the charger to WiFi. I suspected that my garage may have been too far from my house to get a good connection. Who knows?

Anyway I left it that way. Never connected the charger to WiFi. My guess is the most I’m missing out on is being able to take advantage of any OTA charger updates from Rivian. But I have had no problems with the charger which has has worked flawlessly.

You could try it that way, if you like? If Rivian ever updates the charger, you can always connect it back to WiFi.

Sponsored

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
Tonight was the first time I’ve ever plugged my r1t in at home and received an error with the red glow of shame. I have the rivian wall charger.

I went to my app. Realized the wall charger had disconnected from the wifi. I followed the rivian app instructions to reconnect my wall charger to the wifi. After I reconnected, everything was working perfect again.

3CEDA5DA-FCE9-4F3E-98D0-76F1658E542A.png
Does your charge session still give the error? And if so, does the truck start to charge when your time of use schedule allows?

I got the same error the second time I charged at home with Juicebox 40. I swear it did not do this the first time. I’m both cases I had the TOU set for 9:00pm - 6:00am. And if I simply plugged it on after 9:00 it charges. Since I’ve on charges twice at home I’m curious what Is normal. Again, I have such limited experience but I think it just worked correctly the first time - as I would have recalled if I got an error.

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
Does your charge session still give the error? And if so, does the truck start to charge when your time of use schedule allows?

I got the same error the second time I charged at home with Juicebox 40. I swear it did not do this the first time. I’m both cases I had the TOU set for 9:00pm - 6:00am. And if I simply plugged it on after 9:00 it charges. Since I’ve on charges twice at home I’m curious what Is normal. Again, I have such limited experience but I think it just worked correctly the first time - as I would have recalled if I got an error.
Answering my own question:
Tonight I plugged in with the TOU schedule restriction and got the vehicle error after about 5 min. But I just left it plugged in and at 9:00 it started to charge.
Sponsored