Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
👏 Good for you.

And I'm not looking for an AT tire, I'm looking for something that will last more than 15k miles and has a tread warranty.🙄 Guess that's my bad for assuming Rivian wouldn't default to a tire that has neither of those qualities.
Show me some OEM tires that include the tread warranty. For almost all tire manufacturers those only apply when you buy that same tire as a replacement from an authorized seller.

Plenty of people here have gotten 15k miles out of those 21s, but like any tire it depends on how and where you drive.

You are blaming Rivian for your own decision to lock your order without doing your homework. Instead of accepting that choice as your mistake you are here attempting to portray those tires as something they are not, moving the goal posts with each post.

You said they were "poor performing": Not true. You said they should come with a tread warranty unlike every other OEM tire out there. You said they won't last 15k miles: Not true. You said Rivian was doing something "shady" by offering this tire: Not true.
Sponsored

Bristlecone

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Retired (newspaper reporter)
Clubs

So that explains why those of us that were invited to configure in October have been unable to see any inventory in the shop. That would have been nice to know beforehand...
I confirmed my configuration in October and have still seen lots of inventory as of yesterday.

Bristlecone

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Retired (newspaper reporter)
Clubs

Were you able to select quad and dual during your configuration step or only dual?
I was only interested in dual so I didn’t try quad or notice whether it was available

OP
OP
INeedARivian

INeedARivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 RAV4 Hybrid, 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Clubs

Show me some OEM tires that include the tread warranty. For almost all tire manufacturers those only apply when you buy that same tire as a replacement from an authorized seller.

Plenty of people here have gotten 15k miles out of those 21s, but like any tire it depends on how and where you drive.

You are blaming Rivian for your own decision to lock your order without doing your homework. Instead of accepting that choice as your mistake you are here attempting to portray those tires as something they are not, moving the goal posts with each post.

You said they were "poor performing": Not true. You said they should come with a tread warranty unlike every other OEM tire out there. You said they won't last 15k miles: Not true. You said Rivian was doing something "shady" by offering this tire: Not true.
OEMs do come with factory treadwear but beyond that you can purchase a tire that fits the wheel which has a treadwear warranty. The only replacement option available for the 21" has no treadwear. But idk why I'm bothering responding.

Rivian R1T R1S Changing R1S Configuration After Lock-In Screenshot_20231104_151937_Chrome

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
OEMs do come with factory treadwear but beyond that you can purchase a tire that fits the wheel which has a treadwear warranty. The only replacement option available for the 21" has no treadwear. But idk why I'm bothering responding.

Screenshot_20231104_151937_Chrome.jpg
I don't know either, but what you posted doesn't prove what you keep saying. I asked for any OEM tires that come with a tread wear warranty and you post a screenshot to the same tire that comes on your truck, which we already know has that warranty only as a replacement purchase.:CWL:

From TireRack:

Treadwear/mileage warranties typically do not apply to tires fitted as Original Equipment on new vehicles (unless specifically included by the tire manufacturer). Replacement tires covered by a treadwear/mileage warranty have the warranty cost factored into their price.

https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-garage/how-do-tire-warranties-work#
I realize you regret locking your configuration with tires that you now don't want - totally understandable. But that is 100% your fault. Stop blaming Rivian for your mistake.

OP
OP
INeedARivian

INeedARivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I don't know either, but what you posted doesn't prove what you keep saying. I asked for any OEM tires that come with a tread wear warranty and you post a screenshot to the same tire that comes on your truck, which we already know has that warranty only as a replacement purchase.:CWL:

From TireRack:

I realize you regret locking your configuration with tires that you now don't want - totally understandable. But that is 100% your fault. Stop blaming Rivian for your mistake.
I was NEVER talking about the tire that comes with the car having any warranty, which I've tried to clarify multiple times for you. I was ALWAYS talking about the lack of replacement options being any good since they are the same as the OEM tire. Please reread my posts and you'll see that.

Yes, I regret that they won't let me change it but their policy change without the matching verbiage is poor CD. Don't be a troll. Have a good weekend.✌

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I was NEVER talking about the tire that comes with the car having any warranty, which I've tried to clarify multiple times for you. I was ALWAYS talking about the lack of replacement options being any good since they are the same as the OEM tire. Please reread my posts and you'll see that.

Yes, I regret that they won't let me change it but their policy change without the matching verbiage is poor CD. Don't be a troll. Have a good weekend.✌
So why did you bring up warranties then if you weren't talking about that tire? Are you expecting Rivian to check the warranties of tires they don't use? :CWL: It wouldn't surprise me since you are here complaining about them being "shady" because they didn't hold your hand and help you research tire options before you locked in your order.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Yes, I just received another one this morning. I suspect this policy change is to lock in more folks into dual motor configurations where they lose less money and leave the Quads for legacy order fulfillment.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Some people will try to find a conspiracy in anything. This "policy change" has been the norm for at least a year, and thus cannot possibly have anything to do with Dual motors since those didn't exist until only a few months ago. I had to lock my R1T back in 2022 and was told to verify my configuration before I locked because once locked I couldn't change it. Then my shop access disappeared because, with this confirmation of configuration, my vehicle was put into production. When they ask you to lock, they say you need to make any changes first, and also that any changes could delay your production, because they only ask you to lock when your configuration matches the batch they are gearing up to produce.

Changing your configuration when a vehicle is already in production means they're going to end up with one more orphan vehicle, and it means that your order is necessarily going to be delayed because they have to make a new one for you. I don't care whether it's a "simple" change or not.

I personally applaud Rivian for saying locked means locked. That reduces the number of cars that end up in the shop, and helps to more closely align their production and delivery numbers.

I don't know when you originally placed your pre-order, but you've probably had a year or more to think about this. Not sure why you waited until AFTER you locked your order to decide you wanted something different. Why didn't you just hold off on locking until you were sure or until you did your research? When they tell you to lock and tell you it's your last chance to make a change, you should believe that, not demand a special exception because you weren't paying attention.

It's been known for more than three years now that Rivian's default wheel was 21", and it's been known and discussed since then that there was only 1 manufacturer currently making 21" tires that fit. Faced with a choice of three different wheels when you configured your vehicle, it would have been trivial to find some information to help you make that choice. You made the choice when you configured, then you made the choice again when you reviewed your configuration and explicitly locked your configuration, entering into a binding agreement with Rivian to purchase that exact vehicle.

Sponsored

Placer Paul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 and Subaru Outback
Occupation
Retired police officer and attorney
I didn't have any reason to believe that the default tires on the vehicle were completely custom and the only option available or I certainly would not have went with the default. It seems shady at best for them to not be forthcoming. I'm not used to the idea that you're totally locked into a poor performing tire when purchasing the default wheel size. I would have more easily believe that one of the alternate wheel sizes required custom tires.
A couple of points on the tires.

Yes, some number of people have lamented "excessive" tire wear on the Pirelli Scorpions. But when replies are posted questioning whether driving practices such as rapid exceleration, etc., might be a factor, I don't recall seeing any OP come back with a denial of "hot rodding".

Others have had very satisfactory tire life experiences with the Pirellis.

After some research I've found it to be the norm in the tire industry for manufacturers of a new product . . . like the Rivian . . . to get a custom tire and, for a time, purchasers are locked into that tire when needing replacements.

Immediately following introduction of a new product . . . like Rivian . . . there are not enough units of the new product on the road for other tire companies to see a market sufficient to warrant them adding Rivian 21" wheels to their tire line. But as more and more product units are on the road, this can eventually be anticipated to change. At least I certainly hope so.

That all said, if you don't like the 21" wheels, take delivery then buy a new set of wheels and tires in 20" or 22" from Rivian and once again be a happy camper. This is an option I'm certainly keeping in my back pocket if . . . IF . . . I have a bad experience with the Pirelli tires after taking delivery this coming week.

Placer Paul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 and Subaru Outback
Occupation
Retired police officer and attorney
No quad option when we configured in October.
I encountered that when I was first given Shop access in early September; nothing but duals.

Then about ten days later I was given another email to look at what was supposed to be a "better" shop. It was a mix of duals and quads, but still nothing that rang my bell.

Then about another week downrange I got a third invite to a Shop stocked with quads, and found my exact build.

Taking delivery in six days at the West Sacramento SC.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

👏 Good for you.

And I'm not looking for an AT tire, I'm looking for something that will last more than 15k miles and has a tread warranty.🙄 Guess that's my bad for assuming Rivian wouldn't default to a tire that has neither of those qualities.
None of the Rivian OEM tires have a warranty.

OP
OP
INeedARivian

INeedARivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

None of the Rivian OEM tires have a warranty.
I said a non OEM replacement, meaning a different tire than what came with the vehicle (there currently are no other options as we've discovered and has been pointed out to me many times).

Apparently our fault for not trolling the forums when I joined, and hunting down the tire spec to discover what I wouldn't know without searching for the information. But I'm glad everyone else seemed to know and was informed.👍

Still don't know why I can't swap the wheels on a car that's not even scheduled, estimated, or assigned a vin. But that's my fault, not Rivian's.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

How many miles do you put on a year? I have seen more than one report of the OE 21s lasting 30k miles. Some folks get much less. It depends on many factors including how you drive it, roads you drive on, etc.

Why not just take the 21s for now....maybe a year or two from now there will be more options. Or, get yourself a 2nd set of wheels and sell the 21s.

To me those two options would be better than cancelling, losing your place in line, and losing your deposit. I wouldn't get too frustrated about this...its an awesome truck...but look...it weighs 7000 lbs and has a TON of HP and Torque... it will be hard on tires.
Sponsored