OP
INeedARivian

INeedARivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 RAV4 Hybrid, 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Clubs

How many miles do you put on a year? I have seen more than one report of the OE 21s lasting 30k miles. Some folks get much less. It depends on many factors including how you drive it, roads you drive on, etc.

Why not just take the 21s for now....maybe a year or two from now there will be more options. Or, get yourself a 2nd set of wheels and sell the 21s.

To me those two options would be better than cancelling, losing your place in line, and losing your deposit. I wouldn't get too frustrated about this...its an awesome truck...but look...it weighs 7000 lbs and has a TON of HP and Torque... it will be hard on tires.
We put around 25k miles on our cars every year so it would be ideal to not be replacing tires every year (or more). I understand having to replace them more often than our other vehicles because it's a heavy vehicle but was hoping to not only get 15k miles out of a $1,700 set of tires, as many have claimed is "good".

I'm not optimistic about selling the 21s, but maybe that will be an option I just don't see people buying them?
Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

We put around 25k miles on our cars every year so it would be ideal to not be replacing tires every year (or more). I understand having to replace them more often than our other vehicles because it's a heavy vehicle but was hoping to not only get 15k miles out of a $1,700 set of tires, as many have claimed is "good".

I'm not optimistic about selling the 21s, but maybe that will be an option I just don't see people buying them?
15k out of the 21s is not good IMO. 30k is reasonable considering what the truck is. I thought about buying a spare set to get them powder coated. You could also sell them as full size spares.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I ordered with 21s as well and I'm perfectly happy putting a slightly different size 21 as a replacement like a Michelin ltx. I didn't give it a second thought though many in the threads agonize over the size and ratings.

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
Spoke to CS today and she said they actually removed our shop access after configuring. CS said that it was a policy change that they made due to "issues with manufacturing" with people changing their configurations post lock in.

Quite frustrated with the experience at this point as the wheels we want to switch to are more expensive and probably don't affect the VIN number? We had the CS escalate to their "OOO Guide Team" in the hopes that they can help us get it switched since we still don't have an estimate and all the verbiage on our configuration page suggests we should be able to change our configuration and that it just might affect our delivery date (which we are not worried about).
How can you be frustrated? You “locked in”. You made your decision, and that’s how they have to run manufacturing. It unfortunate…but that’s exactly what “lock in” (for the manufacturing process) means…

Rivian in CO

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S 2024; Honda Element 2008
Occupation
IT stuff
I'm trying to understand this thread, but am being thrown off by terminology.

In my case, in August I received an email from my guide saying it was time to "confirm my configuration" (in one place in the email) and "confirm my order" in another place in the email. I did go through the confirmation process. The result is: 1) My $1000 deposit is no longer refundable. 2) I can no longer change my configuration. I still have access to the Shop. (I live outside of Denver, and I see DOZENS of R1S in the shop.) My delivery window says "processing".

The OP has used the term "locked in". Is that a different, presumably later, step in the process, perhaps when Rivian has their vehicle ready?

Sponsored

OP
OP
INeedARivian

INeedARivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I'm trying to understand this thread, but am being thrown off by terminology.

In my case, in August I received an email from my guide saying it was time to "confirm my configuration" (in one place in the email) and "confirm my order" in another place in the email. I did go through the confirmation process. The result is: 1) My $1000 deposit is no longer refundable. 2) I can no longer change my configuration. I still have access to the Shop. (I live outside of Denver, and I see DOZENS of R1S in the shop.) My delivery window says "processing".

The OP has used the term "locked in". Is that a different, presumably later, step in the process, perhaps when Rivian has their vehicle ready?
Customer support was the on that said locked in to us. We confirmed our configuration similarly to you but don't have shop access. Our status is "Processing Estimate", this is what I see when I login.

Edit: to remove duplicate quote.

Rivian R1T R1S Changing R1S Configuration After Lock-In Screenshot_20231109_201902_Chrome

Rivian R1T R1S Changing R1S Configuration After Lock-In Screenshot_20231109_201914_Chrome

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

There is suppose to be a 21" option next summer for a 116 load rated Mitchlin Defender. Do what some of are doing 21" for spring to fall, 20" option for winter. Look up 2363 for cheap 20" rims. Get 275/60/20 and no reconfig for your S. I personally like the ride balance with my 21".

Rivian in CO

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S 2024; Honda Element 2008
Occupation
IT stuff
Customer support was the on that said locked in to us. We confirmed our configuration similarly to you but don't have shop access. Our status is "Processing Estimate", this is what I see when I login.

Thanks for the clarification. It sounds like we might be in the same phase. The difference of course is that I have shop access and see plenty of R1S vehicles. I know there are other discussions about why some folks have access and some don't, so I won't rehash that here.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Screenshot_20231109_201902_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231109_201914_Chrome.jpg
Looks like you have shop access. Click that green bar at the top of the screen.

Sponsored

RivDeWrld

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Lexus IS
My current status and estimated vehicle delivery are similar to yours but I took a different path. Original config was LS Adventure QM/22'' BW/OC interiors (pre-order customer) and I was granted shop access around mid September. I couldn't find the config that matched my spec or other color choices (El Cap or Riv Blue) for a long time (may be my timing was off). On Nov 1st I received an email asking me to lock my configuration and the same day when I was scouting the shop I found one and pulled the trigger on RB LE/22'' BW/OC interiors which replaced my original config.

OP
OP
INeedARivian

INeedARivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Took almost 3 weeks and a few unanswered phone calls/voicemails left then randomly we got a text asking if we were trying to reach a guide. Within 30 minutes our configuration was updated to the 20" AT!:party:

Rivian R1T R1S Changing R1S Configuration After Lock-In Screenshot 2023-11-22 000558

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Took almost 3 weeks and a few unanswered phone calls/voicemails left then randomly we got a text asking if we were trying to reach a guide. Within 30 minutes our configuration was updated to the 20" AT!:party:

Screenshot 2023-11-22 000558.png
Glad they got you taken care of.

RivDeWrld

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Lexus IS
I'm happy to report that my R1S is scheduled for pick-up at the service center. Took ~4 weeks after I locked in my configuration. Super excited! Finally happening after 2 years..
Sponsored