Sponsored

Canadian delivery timeframe

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
I reserved in late August and it said late 2023 at the time...they just haven't updated it. It should say 2024 imo
Yeah, looks like Rivian being Rivian.
Sponsored

digdog

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T?
Got the '8 steps' email yesterday. Preorder holder from 28 Nov, 2018. R1T Launch Edition in Launch Green with black interior. I'm in Vancouver and pickup at this stage is from the Richmond service center.

No delivery date ETA and no info on transport/logistics status from Normal, IL as yet.

Sending hope to all :)

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Got the '8 steps' email yesterday. Preorder holder from 28 Nov, 2018. R1T Launch Edition in Launch Green with black interior. I'm in Vancouver and pickup at this stage is from the Richmond service center.

No delivery date ETA and no info on transport/logistics status from Normal, IL as yet.

Sending hope to all :)
Oh wow, that's a big step! Exciting! And welcome to the forums. I'll be super interested to hear how the process works up here, particularly with insurance (and rates). If you're willing to throw some thoughts out when you get there, much appreciated!

Enjoy!

digdog

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T?
Oh wow, that's a big step! Exciting! And welcome to the forums. I'll be super interested to hear how the process works up here, particularly with insurance (and rates). If you're willing to throw some thoughts out when you get there, much appreciated!

Enjoy!
Thanks. I've been 'lurking' in the forums for a while, awaiting something of value to write :).

Re insurance (Step 02): No clarity on that one just yet. I called my ICBC broker to get a quote and (surprise surprise) 'Rivian' isn't in the ICBC database yet. There's allegedly an option to get coverage on a vehicle make/model not yet in their system (based on NET weight, GVWR and replacement cost), but the output estimate my broker was getting wasn't stacking up (too low, like $1,000/yr for 3rd party + comprehensive). There was a note at Step 2 during my online Rivian purchase fulfillment process stating that Rivian has two in-country brokerages (forget the names) who they partner with, and they will be reaching out to me to cover off insurance. Looks like they've figured out a way.

FYI re Finance/Payment (Step 04): I did not take a look at the Rivian financing offer (as I had this sorted from elsewhere), so walked through the process to get to payment. You can either pay via cheque or have the funds pulled from your (participating) bank account via their Stripe integration. Using Stripe for payment doesn't pull the funds instantly and might be linked to getting a firm delivery date booked (<--speculating).

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Well, you've got value now :)

Thanks, interesting info. From what I've read on here, sounds like you can either pay right away, and then wait weeks and weeks for delivery (no thank you) or delay payment until delivery is imminent. I was curious how that plays out.

I've been waiting for the updated delivery windows to decide if I want to start getting my $$ in order. Sounds like you're using some financing. Did you get a reasonable rate from anywhere you'd recommend?

Sponsored

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Thanks. I've been 'lurking' in the forums for a while, awaiting something of value to write :).

Re insurance (Step 02): No clarity on that one just yet. I called my ICBC broker to get a quote and (surprise surprise) 'Rivian' isn't in the ICBC database yet. There's allegedly an option to get coverage on a vehicle make/model not yet in their system (based on NET weight, GVWR and replacement cost), but the output estimate my broker was getting wasn't stacking up (too low, like $1,000/yr for 3rd party + comprehensive). There was a note at Step 2 during my online Rivian purchase fulfillment process stating that Rivian has two in-country brokerages (forget the names) who they partner with, and they will be reaching out to me to cover off insurance. Looks like they've figured out a way.
This is hilarious and sad at the same time. Its been in the database of insurance companies and I've been able to get quotes for the R1T since May of last year in Alberta. Yet the only place in Canada where they are selling at the moment it doesn't exist. Typical.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

FYI re Finance/Payment (Step 04): I did not take a look at the Rivian financing offer (as I had this sorted from elsewhere), so walked through the process to get to payment. You can either pay via cheque or have the funds pulled from your (participating) bank account via their Stripe integration. Using Stripe for payment doesn't pull the funds instantly and might be linked to getting a firm delivery date booked (<--speculating).
Sounds like you need a different broker.
MPIC (Manitoba ICBC equivalent) has had Rivian in their estimator for at least a year.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
@digdog if you've got it, mind sharing the final Canadian pricing details? Ideally including taxes, luxury taxes, delivery fees etc.

Also, did since you're also an early pre-order holder, I'm curious if you still had your reservation showing USD pricing like mine...

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Sounds like you need a different broker.
MPIC (Manitoba ICBC equivalent) has had Rivian in their estimator for at least a year.
Or we need get rid of the worst, and longest burning, dumpster fire that is ICBC once and for all. I actually pity Rivian (and all of us in BC) for having to deal with them.

Skigh

First Name
Skigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Or we need get rid of the worst, and longest burning, dumpster fire that is ICBC once and for all. I actually pity Rivian (and all of us in BC) for having to deal with them.
What??? But no fault insurance has worked out so well! 😳

Sponsored

digdog

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T?
@digdog if you've got it, mind sharing the final Canadian pricing details? Ideally including taxes, luxury taxes, delivery fees etc.

Also, did since you're also an early pre-order holder, I'm curious if you still had your reservation showing USD pricing like mine...
Yah, sure:

Rivian R1T R1S Canadian delivery timeframe Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 09.30.19

digdog

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T?

I had Rivian shift my reservation to the Canadian localization a couple years back and they refunded me the USD$1000 at that time. They promised to preserve my place in the queue (which seems to have proved truthful)

Skigh

First Name
Skigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I had Rivian shift my reservation to the Canadian localization a couple years back and they refunded me the USD$1000 at that time. They promised to preserve my place in the queue (which seems to have proved truthful)
This is great! Thank you for sharing so we have a better idea of the total cost!

Haulin Oats

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T Adventure
I got an insurance quote in November from an ICBC broker (Murrick insurance New West). He had no issues finding Rivian in the system. I wonder why your broker couldn't find it.
Sponsored