Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

That magma stuff looks great! Will definitely check it out.

that groover looks good, just way too big for the truck— I used to be a raft guide in sw Colorado, and we used ones like this— totally bulletproof
Sponsored

nomis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S; Toyota Rav4
Clubs

I love those goalzero lanterns, I use them in the tents! I just ordered some solar string lighting from rei, will pick it up tomorrow and give it a shot, and I’ll also check out that other lantern you shared, thanks!
Are the string lights the MPOWERD Luci Portable Solar String Light (https://www.rei.com/product/142541/mpowerd-luci-portable-solar-string-lights-18-white) ?
I was considering getting a couple for myself. Maybe the longer 44' ones. I've seen some groups that go out and have string lights that span from one awning to another in zig-zag pattern. Looks pretty nice and relatively bright.

OP
OP
swhme

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Are the string lights the MPOWERD Luci Portable Solar String Light (https://www.rei.com/product/142541/mpowerd-luci-portable-solar-string-lights-18-white) ?
I was considering getting a couple for myself. Maybe the longer 44' ones. I've seen some groups that go out and have string lights that span from one awning to another in zig-zag pattern. Looks pretty nice and relatively bright.
Yep, I've got them waiting for pick up now, will try them when I go camping next weekend and take a couple of pics

RoadTripFan

First Name
Quinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Broker
Clubs

Loved this post! Excellent formatting and pics! Have done some solo camping in my R1T and I am in love with it. Couldn't agree more about camp leveling.... Keep posting and thank you, picked up a few tips and thoughts from this to make my own camping experience better.

joelg

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Thanks so much for the detailed post! I've been attempting similar 2+2 family camping in my Model Y to get ready for my future R1T and it's been super fun. I wired a 2000W inverter to the 12v battery which then recharges from the Tesla's main battery whenever the car is on.

A couple things I've found that work amazingly well.

COOKTRON Double Induction Cooktop Burner https://a.co/d/8rVy57i
I have this installed in the Tesla's frunk along with a cutting board counter. The knob controls are particularly nice for using on cold mornings when I might want gloves on.

Stanley Adventure Camp Cook Set https://a.co/d/bUxoFYj
This set is awesome. It nests into a super compact package and includes a passable collapsing spatula and spoon. Conveniently, it is actually induction friendly as well!

Lodge Cast Iron Round Griddle https://a.co/d/bMBpFM6
This is a nice alternative to a big cast iron skillet the same base size but much less weight. We mostly use it for pancakes and omelets.

Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 https://a.co/d/2Yy4TMt
More recently we've switched to using an InstantPot for camping pasta and baked French toast. I believe it's more efficient since you don't lose as much heat to the air, but that's just my assumption.

Ultrathin Travel Foldable Electric Kettle https://a.co/d/g0ZeUgp
This thing is a bit smaller than I'd like but it's perfect for morning French press or instant coffee and oatmeal.

Spacelumen String LED Lights https://a.co/d/bVFhDsX
These are our go-to campsite lights, the USB power means we usually hang them from whatever trees are available and plug them into a small USB power bank.

Front Runner Expander Camping Chair https://a.co/d/frBhywB
After a lot of searching, I'm convinced this is the greatest camping chair ever. It folds up super small but is really comfortable and solid.

Rivian R1T R1S Camping (gear and range) Review in my R1T 66683678637__C03E10AB-532B-42E2-B3F2-6F0C3FF5364D

Rivian R1T R1S Camping (gear and range) Review in my R1T 66683676788__F1A1E7CA-D38D-4E78-9DA3-D3E3A0CE257F

Sponsored

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
joelg, your cooktop set up for the frunk is pretty nice. I assume you made it? Would you have a parts list you would be willing to share and any pictures with it out of the frunk?
Thanks

Thanks so much for the detailed post! I've been attempting similar 2+2 family camping in my Model Y to get ready for my future R1T and it's been super fun. I wired a 2000W inverter to the 12v battery which then recharges from the Tesla's main battery whenever the car is on.

A couple things I've found that work amazingly well.

COOKTRON Double Induction Cooktop Burner https://a.co/d/8rVy57i
I have this installed in the Tesla's frunk along with a cutting board counter. The knob controls are particularly nice for using on cold mornings when I might want gloves on.

Stanley Adventure Camp Cook Set https://a.co/d/bUxoFYj
This set is awesome. It nests into a super compact package and includes a passable collapsing spatula and spoon. Conveniently, it is actually induction friendly as well!

Lodge Cast Iron Round Griddle https://a.co/d/bMBpFM6
This is a nice alternative to a big cast iron skillet the same base size but much less weight. We mostly use it for pancakes and omelets.

Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 https://a.co/d/2Yy4TMt
More recently we've switched to using an InstantPot for camping pasta and baked French toast. I believe it's more efficient since you don't lose as much heat to the air, but that's just my assumption.

Ultrathin Travel Foldable Electric Kettle https://a.co/d/g0ZeUgp
This thing is a bit smaller than I'd like but it's perfect for morning French press or instant coffee and oatmeal.

Spacelumen String LED Lights https://a.co/d/bVFhDsX
These are our go-to campsite lights, the USB power means we usually hang them from whatever trees are available and plug them into a small USB power bank.

Front Runner Expander Camping Chair https://a.co/d/frBhywB
After a lot of searching, I'm convinced this is the greatest camping chair ever. It folds up super small but is really comfortable and solid.

66683678637__C03E10AB-532B-42E2-B3F2-6F0C3FF5364D.jpeg

66683676788__F1A1E7CA-D38D-4E78-9DA3-D3E3A0CE257F.jpeg

joelg

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
The structure is just a basic plywood frame that I've bolted into the frunk tub with the factory bolt points. The inverter sits behind the frunk under the access panel and next to the air filter and 12v battery. I also added the inverter's remote and a 110v outlet to the frunk, so I don't have to open the access panel at all. It's still definitely in the prototype stage, with some real bugs in the design:

1. The cooktop is too high and far away if you leave it up while cooking and if anything overflows or spills it falls into the air filter...
2. On the other hand, if you use the cooktop while it's down, you lose access to all the storage underneath, so you have to empty everything you might need before you start cooking.
2. All the cooking gear currently is just dumped under the cooktop when it's all closed up, so some organization would be better and it rattles when driving over bumps.
3. Now that I've started using the Instant Pot as well, I'll likely swap the cooktop for a single burner model and mount them side by side.
4. Without self leveling like the Rivian, the cutting board isn't reliably flat.

Regardless, here's the materials I use:

Prosumer's Choice Stovetop Cover https://a.co/d/05V5KGQ
This is the cutting board counter I used with slight modifications

AOLISHENG 1 Pair Heavy Duty Drawer Slides 14in https://a.co/d/al7UCDw
This is the drawer slides

ECLV Adjustable Lift up Top https://a.co/d/enSsUMX
I repurposed this coffee table lift top mechanism

joelg, your cooktop set up for the frunk is pretty nice. I assume you made it? Would you have a parts list you would be willing to share and any pictures with it out of the frunk?
Thanks

KurticusRex

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD Sport
Occupation
Enterprise Transformation
For induction pans, I’d recommend checking out the Stanley stainless packable camp cookware. They are durable, packs into the largest pot. Works with gas, fire, or induction. I got the set this spring to use with either my trusty Coleman propane or a single induction cooktop with the Rivian 120v outlet.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I want to leave the gear aside and say that looks like an amazing trip! Congrats on being able to do that with your family. These are trips the kids will remember for the rest of their lives.

I hope to do some similar adventures next summer, but we really have to work with the constraint of being able to take the time off. I'll consider it a great success if we get to do half of what you did.

OP
OP
swhme

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Camping (gear and range) Review in my R1T B0000759

Cooktron was a Winner. No issues even running at full capacity. Also, a big fan of the new lights!
Rivian R1T R1S Camping (gear and range) Review in my R1T IMG_1646

Rivian R1T R1S Camping (gear and range) Review in my R1T IMG_1642

Sponsored

k3g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Robotics
We have the same tent! I have 3x 50W ali express flexible solar panels on mine, it's enough to top up an ecoflow delta2, that runs my fridge and such.

Also, get out and use your trucks. They are meant to be dirty and get scratched up. Go make memories and see beautiful things and share them with the people who you love.
Also, THIS. These things are best enjoyed out in the woods. Silently getting sendy around a forest road, or quietly arriving to an alpine lake.

Stretch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vivian ('23 R1S) & Sparky ('23 R1T)
IMG_1552.jpeg
B0000621.jpg
B0000619-2.jpg
B0000601.jpg

See details on my build in this thread

We took a short trip up into the San Juans last weekend to test out the latest iteration of our camping set up on the R1T. The goal was to comfortably transport and house 4 people (2 big, 2 little) in the backcountry, and use electricity as the fuel for all of our cooking. I've been exploring the mountains for about 25 years, and doing vehicle-based overlanding for ~4 years, using a modified 100-series Land Cruiser as my platform.

I'll split up the sections below, so hopefully you can get the answers that are most interesting to you.

B0000465-4.jpg

Consumption
Over the course of the trip we averaged 1.68 mi/kwh, over a 500 mile loop from Santa Fe (7100') through:
  • Pagosa Springs (7100', stopped to charge from 30%>80%)
  • Durango (6500', charged at our hotel from 55%>93%)
  • Purgatory (8800', charged from 70%>85%)
  • Off-road: Old Lime Creek Road which maxes out around 10000'. We camped along Lime Creek, at 9100'. Arrived at camp with 80%, left camp 2 days later with 62%
  • Back on road: Over Molas Pass (10800') and into Silverton (9300'). We arrived in Silverton with 50% SoC
  • Off-road: Cinnamon Pass Road over Cinnamon Pass (12460') I was a little nervous that my consumption on the way up was 0.28 mi/kwh, and I got down to 32% SoC, however, with regen on the way down, I got back up to 40%, and ended up at 36% when I arrived in Lake City.
  • Lake City (8700', charged from 36% > 80%)
  • Alamosa (7700', charged from ~25% > 85%)
  • Santa Fe (7100', arrived home with ~10%)
During the trip, I powered two refrigerators (ICECO Go20 in the frunk, plugged into 12V DC, set to 0º F and ARB Elements in the bed, plugged into 120V AC, set to 32º F) and used a Greecho Induction Cooktop/Griddle (rated at 1400W) and a Breville Mini Smart Oven (rated at 1800W)

Temperatures were very range-friendly. 70-80º during the day, 50s at night.

Cooking

IMG_1563.jpeg
?hash=d8374ca2fa499a20ef60bd7256e4a93d.jpg
IMG_1575.jpeg
IMG_1576.jpeg
IMG_1578.jpeg
IMG_1572.jpeg

In addition to the electric appliances mentioned above, I also brought a Camp Chef Rainier 2X as a backup. It was a good thing that I did, this time, as I discovered some holes in my approach.

Greecho Induction Cooktop Thoughts:
I neglected to bring induction-capable pots, so I could only use the Greecho with the griddle top. The griddle worked pretty well, although it would occasionally show an error on one side or the other, and then I'd have to unplug it and plug it back in to keep cooking. I absolutely love the size and weight of this thing, it's so easy to pack, fits nicely in my Zarges boxes. I'll give it a 7/10.

The surface didn't seem to get super hot. Fine for cooking bacon and potatoes, but I don't think it got hot enough to put a proper sear on a steak. I've already ordered the Cooktron and will test that out this week to see how it performs. I made breakfast burritos fully on the Greecho, and they got thumbs up all around.

Breville Mini Smart Oven Thoughts:
To me, there are two great luxuries in camping: cold ice cream and warm cinnamon rolls. I've used a Coleman camp oven for a few years, but it's a pain to temperature control, bulky, and annoying to set up and break down. The Breville works great, although I had to remove the handle in order to fit it into my gear case, and, without that weight, the door won't stay open on its own. I'm working on engineering some sort of fix there.

I was nervous about the 1800W rating, but it ended up never tripping the inverter, which was great news. However, with the Breville maxing out the truck, I couldn't also use the induction griddle, so I had to fall back to using the gas stove if I wanted to make some hot dogs to go with my baked potatoes. Next time, I'm going to bring a Jackery battery just to have some extra watts to play with while I'm cooking.

Loading the truck (what goes where?)
IMG_1549.jpeg
IMG_1554.jpeg
IMG_1555.jpeg
IMG_1548.jpeg

Frunk: (Fast access, weather safe)
  • ICECO Go20 Freezer
  • Billingham Eventer camera bag
  • Tom Bihn Technonaut 45 backpack (clothes)
Gear Tunnel: (Long and Skinny Stuff)
  • 2x Yeti Trailhead Camp Chair
  • 2x REI Kids Camp Chair
  • 1x Large Rolltop Table (I believe it's a now-discontinued one from Mountain Summit Gear)
  • 2x Small side tables
  • This leaves a decent amount of space on one end, which I use to store:
    • Extension cords
    • Pump for air mattresses
    • Headlamps
    • Bike Helmet
On Rack: (Bulky Stuff)
  • On top:
    • iKamper Mini 3.0 Tent
    • 23Zero 270º Awning
    • Firewood (I'm going to buy a Yakima SkinnyWarrior basket for this, but for now I just strap it to the rack above the cab)
  • On the sides:
    • MAXTRAX XTREME recovery boards
    • Gazelle T4 Hub Tent
  • On the inside:
    • REI Camp Dreamer Inflatable Mattresses, strapped to the underside of the top of the rack (an XL and a Double, these go in the Gazelle)
    • BuiltRight Molle Pouches
In Bed: (everything else, mostly cooking)
  • ARB Elements Fridge
  • Zarges Cases:
    • DOCK Outdoor Kitchen (this is built into a 40564 Zarges Case), holds disposable plates/bowls and cutlery
    • 40564 Case: Food Storage & Greecho cooktop
    • 40568 Case: Holds the Breville toaster oven and misc bits
    • 40810 Case: Holds other cooking gear. Pots/pans/strainer/prep bowls/misc tools
  • Toilet: I've used a few of these, the latest being the Stansport Portable Toilet 271 -- I like this because it packs up much smaller than the cleanwaste, and it's taller so a little more comfortable. I use it with Cleanwaste wag bags. Would recommend. I had an extra Camp Chef stove carrying bag, so I put everything in there (and clearly mark the bag!)
  • Camp Chef Stove + Propane
  • Yeti Loadout Bucket + Utility Gear Belt + Lid -- I love this bucket, and have used it for years. On the way to camp, it holds a paper towel roll and any other misc odds and ends I grabbed at the last minute. At camp, I put an 8gal trash bag in it and it's our trash can. On the way home, it's full of dirty dishes ready to come in and get washed.
  • 2-3x Dometic GO 11L Jugs + electric faucet. This is my water storage, at least until my sub-frunk water tank is ready!
  • Duffel Bag with clothes
  • Paper bag of fire starting accessories: fatwood sticks, some paper to burn

Camping / Misc Bits
IMG_2601.jpeg
Q1010542.jpg
IMG_2600.jpeg
IMG_2567.jpeg
IMG_2760.jpeg
IMG_2917.jpeg
IMG_1564.jpeg
  • We had been planning to move to doing two-vehicle exploring, using both my Land Cruiser and the R1T, but, after a test camp a few weeks ago, quickly discovered we'd rather all go together. So I picked up the Gazelle tent, and it's been great. Quick to set up/take down (probably takes me about the same amount of time as the RTT, if not a little faster), straps easily to the outside of the rack, and very comfortable (I'm 6'5" and can stand up inside). The only downside is having to find a big enough flat spot for it.
  • Speaking of which... camp mode auto-leveling is awesome. Both for the tent, and for using the tailgate as our primary cooking surface
  • I added the E-Bike (Specialized Turbo Tero X 6.0) to my kit a few weeks ago, and it's been fantastic. When we have a charging stop, I can drop the family off at a restaurant or park, start my charge, then ride the bike back to them. And, when we're at camp, I can use it to explore the area without having to break down the camp site and take the truck out. And I can charge it from the truck when needed.

To Improve:
My goal is to get everything dialed in over the next year– we go out at least once a month when weather and other travel cooperate. I'll post another full summary next summer, and will post updates as I go on my build thread, so subscribe over there if you're interested.
  • To Buy:
    • Induction-friendly pans
    • Yakima Skinny Warrior rack for over the cab
  • To do:
    • Zip-line electric wiring behind my builtright bed molle panels so I have AC easily accessible on both sides
    • Install my GMRS radio
    • Install lights on rack for general camp lighting (I have some from SLEE sitting around)
    • Put cooking spoons into my kitchen box so I don't have to stir alfredo noodles with a spatula 😅
    • Install organizer in the frunk lid
  • To Research:
    • What's the smallest battery with 2000W peak AC output? How can I rig this up most efficiently?
    • Options for lighting for under rack and awning. The USB twinkle lights are fun, but they don't throw enough light to cook with.
    • Smaller freezer for the frunk?
Summary:
This truck is incredible. While I love my Land Cruiser, the Rivian is more comfortable, more capable, carries more gear, is way quieter, and is a winner on every front except convenience of refueling. I'm working on dialing things in over the next 6+ months in preparation for a trip to Big Bend in March. If I can pull that trip off (Big Bend is a charging desert, so it's going to require some creativity), then I'll probably sell the cruiser.

Also, get out and use your trucks. They are meant to be dirty and get scratched up. Go make memories and see beautiful things and share them with the people who you love.

B0000617-Pano-2.jpg
Great post! Curious, sounds like you liked the Cooktron, yes? Did it seem a bit small?

OP
OP
swhme

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Great post! Curious, sounds like you liked the Cooktron, yes? Did it seem a bit small?
not at all, it was plenty big!

Rexbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

@swhme check out this tailgate topper I whipped together from a single 1/2"x24"x48" sheet from HD, to have another flat surface that doesn't slide around on the tailgate! I was hesitant to cut any reliefs into it yet until I know what stove I'm going to use but that'll be next so it also can't slide. Honestly its the biggest QoL improvement for tailgate cooking I've made yet, and put this thing together in under an hour!

@joelg I really like that cooktron dual burner and cooktop cover you used for the frunk! I'll try those out, after camping this week a single burner/pan didn't quite cut it.

It's about 16-3/4" deep so it won't interfere with the tonneau, and at 48" wide sits between the tie down eyes. Stored vertically along the side it uses up negligible space.
Rivian R1T R1S Camping (gear and range) Review in my R1T PXL_20240129_191919731

Cutting a 3/4" wide strip to run the width of the fwd end so it fits snugly into the groove between tailgate and fold-down plastic piece restricts fwd-aft movement. Cutting 3" wide pieces to sit between the grooves means its not flexible and also restricts side to side movement. I should have cut them into 8 pieces instead of 4 to satisfy my OCD but it really makes no difference. The remaining material in back just sits on the tailgate edge and gives a solid feel to it when in use.
Rivian R1T R1S Camping (gear and range) Review in my R1T PXL_20240129_191753974

Action shot. Still a work in progress, incoming improvements:
  • I hate the stain color. Going to sand it down and go with something lighter.
  • Dual-burner cooktron cooktop is on order! I will likely cut a relief into the top to stop it sliding.
  • Cutting board noted above is on order!
  • Low-profile power strip mounting on fwd edge. Having to reach around the cooler to plug/unplug things is annoying. Could use recommendations!
Rivian R1T R1S Camping (gear and range) Review in my R1T PXL_20240125_182808952

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model Y (previously a 3 and X)
Love this setup! Is there a ride height that best simulates counter height when you are doing kitchen type things on the tailgate?
Sponsored