Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

You won’t want to do this on the first camping trip, but a Roof Top Tent is huge on comfort and that sense of security. I’ve got an electric blanket I can plug into my truck if it gets too cold. I put that over my air mattress and have a couple other blankets we sleep under.

On the popcorn thing, I always get a jiffy pop pan. No matter your age, it’s fun to watch one of those go off.

The Kureg is a great idea but a hot water kettle has multiple uses and you can do a french press or pour over for coffee. IMO both of those methods taste better than Kureg anyways.
Sponsored

OP
OP
R1 EVY

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

jayazusa

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Prius
Occupation
Technology
I have been reading about the AreoPress that it makes a great cup of coffee and does it quickly, not a bad option since you both like different coffee types with a kettle.

LoneI2anger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
lots of good bits and bobs mentioned here already. I would argue putting top dollars on a solid sleeping mat will be the best bet for a happy wife. I never liked those blow up ones for being too crinkly and floaty feeling. Invest in the Exped Megamat Auto, you'll find more than enough praise for this mat online. strikes good balance between blow up and real mattress feeling.

bonus mention for a Kelty Loveseat chair and some fleece blankets for sunset cuddles.

OP
OP
R1 EVY

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

I have been reading about the AreoPress that it makes a great cup of coffee and does it quickly, not a bad option since you both like different coffee types with a kettle.
AreoPress seems like a name my wife would like 🤣. Thank you!

Sponsored

OP
OP
R1 EVY

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

lots of good bits and bobs mentioned here already. I would argue putting top dollars on a solid sleeping mat will be the best bet for a happy wife. I never liked those blow up ones for being too crinkly and floaty feeling. Invest in the Exped Megamat Auto, you'll find more than enough praise for this mat online. strikes good balance between blow up and real mattress feeling.

bonus mention for a Kelty Loveseat chair and some fleece blankets for sunset cuddles.
Researching. Than you!

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

Hey Enthusiasts,

My wife has agreed to go "camping" in the R1S, so I want to make sure I'm prepared to spend 4-5 days in nature (glamping). For perspective, we have no problem watching our favorite show, under the stars in our tent drinking a glass of wine after grilling steaks, salmon or brats (we're from Wisconsin).

We're thinking about adventuring/camping in Pictured Rocks and driving the Silver Lake sand dunes this summer.

The goal is to allow my wife to fall in love with camping in the R1S, so we can do this regularly as 52/50 year-old empty-nesters (and sometimes with Charlie
PXL_20240410_185646362-ANIMATION.gif
).

Therefore, what I'm looking for is your recommendation of "must-have" camping/glamping items. Tent recommendations, sleeping whatnots, anything is great.

Thanks in advance!
Some ideas in the videos below include hot plate, panini press, expresso maker, air fryer.

Dgephri

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Finance-Real Estate
Clubs

https://a.co/d/3WkEZis- tested pouring out a full volume is a bit tricky: it wants to fold in a little

https://a.co/d/1bGMdya- tested to boil my vacuum sealed meals and it works great. Haven't used the steamer thing yet.

https://a.co/d/99KM2Su- not for all season use but the opaque panels and suv boot were included. We plan to use this as changing/ shade/ gear area in spring/ summer/ fall outings.

Ingo B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Word Slinger
1. Suggest getting a canopy to put over the picnic table (assuming the site has one). Blocking direct sunlight is huge, esp during hotter weather. You can also hang a small (lightweight) lantern up top for nighttime illumination over the table. Along those lines, get some blankets to set on the benches. Makes it more comfortable.

2. I have two of these fold-up aluminum tables (one square, one rectangle). Very handy. I set one up as a dishwashing station, the other by the tent entrance to stage stuff when getting in and out.

3. I might be in the minority here, but I actually enjoy cooking over the open fire. It takes more work overall but I get more satisfaction from the results. I'm also one of those weirdos that does well with adapting to things not being so easy. Regardless, cast iron cookware is your best friend. Even if you don't cook over the fire, they work with induction (and obviously propane) just as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
R1 EVY

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

1. Suggest getting a canopy to put over the picnic table (assuming the site has one). Blocking direct sunlight is huge, esp during hotter weather. You can also hang a small (lightweight) lantern up top for nighttime illumination over the table. Along those lines, get some blankets to set on the benches. Makes it more comfortable.

2. I have two of these fold-up aluminum tables (one square, one rectangle). Very handy. I set one up as a dishwashing station, the other by the tent entrance to stage stuff when getting in and out.

3. I might be in the minority here, but I actually enjoy cooking over the open fire. It takes more work overall but I get more satisfaction from the results. I'm also one of those weirdos that does well with adapting to things not being so easy. Regardless, cast iron cookware is your best friend. Even if you don't cook over the fire, they work with induction (and obviously propane) just as well.
Thank you. I'm an entrepreneur so hard doesn't scare me. The challenge is invigorating. Thanks for the suggestion. Added to the list.

Ingo B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Word Slinger
Oh, and regarding lanterns in general - I highly recommend getting warm colored ones. Think: same tones as those those old Coleman propane lanterns would put out. Makes a huge difference in both utility and ambience. There's a ton of el cheapo Amazon junk out there, but those put out a harsh blue-ish light that's really blinding at night. I have a few still but use them primarily for perimeter lighting or as back ups.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Oh, and regarding lanterns in general - I highly recommend getting warm colored ones. Think: same tones as those those old Coleman propane lanterns would put out. Makes a huge difference in both utility and ambience. There's a ton of el cheapo Amazon junk out there, but those put out a harsh blue-ish light that's really blinding at night. I have a few still but use them primarily for perimeter lighting or as back ups.
Yea I agree. I didn't detail in my post above, but I recommend the

• Odoland led light with the candle setting (these are huge in the sailing cruise community) https://a.co/d/9VtkjaU

Riv I Am

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Awaiting R1T - GW/OC VIN 171xx
Occupation
Health care
I was nearly done writing a long-winded answer to someone else’s question about rooftop tents in another post when I accidentally closed out the app and lost it. So I ended up starting a new thread, and realized it kind of pertains to your post as well. Not sure how much of it would be considered bougie/glamping, but I too am aiming for that level to hopefully entice my wife to join as often as possible… and of course for my own wants and needs as well… though I’m currently far from it with my current setup … but getting there.
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/ikamper-rtt-joolca-shower-tent-thoughts.26378/

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

with Charlie
See below to please wife and doge, he beat me to it.

Rivian R1T R1S Bougie (Glamping) Checklist Recommendations for R1S 1000009723

an extension cord and a heated blanket
I did 20s°F just fine with my roof top tent vented with an electric blanket set to low, it was so nice. We just got adopted by a new pupperoni and I'm so excited to introduce him to the RTT in May! Already learned the truck is a fun place full of treats. I highly suggest your wife giving the treats to warm Charlie Murphy up to the experience, One Team One Fight!
Sponsored