Sponsored

CA HOV Stickers Match our Accent Nicely (for '22 at least)

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Fuck that. I don't care what state I live in. If I'm going to put a stick on a car that costs this much, I'm putting a protective applique first, then the sticker. Not going to botch up the paint with that sticker gunk when I decide to peel it off in case I leave that state (thank God I live in FL. I would have told California they can kiss my sun-loving state ass).
Amen... and I live here.

This whole "it's a privilege to drive on public roadways, in a lane someone decided rich people should have special access and there can't be a better way" doesn't play with me. I mean, we use stickers on license plates for annual registration...

It's a $400 fine. I'm just going to get a blowup doll for the back seat that will double as my "friend" when not driving.
Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Not even Massachusetts makes you stick a non-removable sticker to a bumper or body panel of your EV for HOV access. Pathetic…
Exactly! Tis why I stated about putting an applique on it before putting on such stickers. I'd rather have a device on the vehicle akin to a Sunpass that allows the vehicle access to such lanes than a sticker that will gunk up the paint job.

MinnR1S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 T8
Clubs

Let us know how those hold up on the Plastic trim sections.
I have only had them on the painted sections (my car did not have plastic on the lower edge).

Interesting that they went back to Yellow since that was used a long time ago when the program started. Still a lot of cars with the old yellow (expired) decals on them.

Sponsored

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
By comparison in Northern Virginia we have HOT Lanes. (High Occupancy Toll)
You must have an EZPass with an HOV mode. 3+ is free. Less than 3 and you pay a toll, which varies based on traffic. Tolls can get high, as in $30 to go 5-6 miles. Fines are high if you get caught and State Troopers have devices to see which mode your EZPass is in. The entire operation is run by a private company because the state sold the access to build the lanes.

And not to inject politics, but it was a former republican governor who gave the green light to selling these highways to a private company. (Including adding tolls to HOV lanes that used to be free)

Virginia also used to require a large yellow state inspection sticker to be placed in the center of your windshield at the bottom. And then individual counties would require you to place a tax sticker next to it. It was ridiculous. The state finally made the sticker smaller and moved it to the bottom left corner like some other stares.

I am not knocking a method for determining who can use HOV lanes, but I hate stickers on vehicles in general.

OP
OP
time

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
Interesting that they went back to Yellow since that was used a long time ago when the program started. Still a lot of cars with the old yellow (expired) decals on them.
That's kind of why I think I could be hassled with these ones and just followed the instructions. My 05 Prius had yellow HOV stickers. Thinking maybe that's why they changed the sticker placement locations slightly. Though you'd have to imagine no cop would confuse a 17 year old car with a new truck. But then, it is CHP so I didn't risk it.

Oh and HOV is not a $400 fine. The signs say like $460 min but that's just the fine itself. When they tack on county court costs it can be over a grand depending on county. My fiancee got one in LA during covid that was $1060 something

drivetorun

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
That's kind of why I think I could be hassled with these ones and just followed the instructions. My 05 Prius had yellow HOV stickers. Thinking maybe that's why they changed the sticker placement locations slightly. Though you'd have to imagine no cop would confuse a 17 year old car with a new truck. But then, it is CHP so I didn't risk it.
It looks like they've actually changed the design of the sticker itself. While it is yellow, the "circle" portion of the sticker is now on the right hand side vs. being on the left like all the prior color iterations of the sticker.

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IG: thegreenmachine_R1T
Clubs

I've put too many of these HOV stickers on poorly before. I didn't want to make the mistake again so I spent way too much time measuring and taking angles. Trying to make sure its all purdy. I learned previously that If you just try to follow a body line the text tends to not be straight. I feel like it should read straight when you step back a few feet.

20220425_181029.jpg

Yes, yes... all good.. Both sides will match. Lots of fudging and eyeballing here.

20220425_182500.jpg

Looks like we have to put two on the front this year and zero on the back. Not sure how long that's been the rule but not very excited for that. Previously I skipped the front sticker but I figured I'd just do it and not have to worry about it being a future issue.

20220425_175436-1.jpg

Here they are in all their regulatory compliance glory! At least these placements seem to comply the best I can tell.

I ended up skipping all that measuring and eyeballed it. Looks ok.

20220425_185803.jpg

20220425_185747.jpg

20220425_185718.jpg

Up next will be my black CA plates with yellow letters when those arrive. Yellow is really the accent color (for CA at least)
How long did you wait to get your HOV stickers? I applied last week for them as well as the 1960s plate. I know the DMV said 6-9 months for the plates though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
time

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
How long did you wait to get your HOV stickers? I applied last week for them as well as the 1960s plate. I know the DMV said 6-9 months for the plates though.
Did you wait until you got your actual plates in to order the new ones? I've tried doing that early before and it just got stuck in limbo.

Stickers took about 9 days from when I mailed the check and paperwork. I saw they cashed the check after like 5 days. I did the plate online and haven't heard anything yet. Though the website says upto 6 month delay on plates.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Did you wait until you got your actual plates in to order the new ones? I've tried doing that early before and it just got stuck in limbo.

Stickers took about 9 days from when I mailed the check and paperwork. I saw they cashed the check after like 5 days. I did the plate online and haven't heard anything yet. Though the website says upto 6 month delay on plates.
It took me almost a year to get my new plates, I put them on my Jeep till the R1S shows up.

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IG: thegreenmachine_R1T
Clubs

Yeah I waited until I got my plates. I mailed the check probably 2 weeks ago so I’ll follow up with them.
Thanks for the response.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Im really surprised this isn't a License Plate feature. Putting a sticker directly on the vehicle is terrible on the paint as well as .... tacky :p

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Do they really police HOV violations in CA? I never see or hear of anyone getting ticketed for illegal HOV usage around Nashville, and I see it happening all the time.
Sponsored