Sponsored

Bungee Cords, Straps, Rope, Oh My! (tying down loads in the bed)

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
+1 for bungee cords and ratchet straps. You can pick those up just about anywhere.

I've also got a load bar from my WT, but am a bit scared to try it on the Rivian. Anyone want to guess how quick something like this will wreck the Rivian's plastic bed? 😆

1681147877835.png

Editing my comment to add - I also carry a padded moving blanket in my truck. Keep it in the toolbox of the WT, or the spare tire area on the Riv. You mentioned needing to haul "fancy" wood. Might be useful there to protect it. Just an idea. Good luck!
I have used one of these from Tractor Supply to secure a solo stove and hard cooler from sliding around on our way to tailgating and it works well. I did not use to much side pressure so it's probably not the best solution for securing heavy appliances.
Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Ratchet straps come in two flavors and I like both. I used the retractable for moving an engine block and subframe last week. They are easy to deploy but typically don't hold as much.

The classic variety (the one you have to thread, and actually know how to do it) are better for lumber (I like the wide straps) and heavier items, like bringing my Rivian wheel set home from the SC.

Bungee cords are generally bad. I've used them for small stuff, like securing gas cans, but I had one get loose when I was unloading some stuff from my RAM and it cost me a trip to the PDR shop. Never again.

I have these two:
https://a.co/d/dWcb9T9
https://a.co/d/2iL9iCT

Surfinkal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Data Engineer
I use the 3x4 version of this: TireTrek Cargo net . I initially bought it to keep my surfboard, wetsuit and other surf related items from flying out of the bed, but it’s come in very handy in general. I recommend it.

Last edited:

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

I've also got a load bar from my WT, but am a bit scared to try it on the Rivian. Anyone want to guess how quick something like this will wreck the Rivian's plastic bed? 😆

1681147877835.png
That was one of the first accessories I got for the R1T. With such a long tailgate and the tonneau having a little load (like a cooler and such for camping) held to the back section of the bed is super nice. I've not seen any issues with the bed liner when tightening up the bar in lots of different locations. Sometime I can just barely see some visual flex.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I overdo it a little bit. The entire under seat storage compartment of my truck is full of various straps and tarps and cords.

Sponsored

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I used to use ratchet straps all the time, but no longer.

The best advice I can give is to buy yourself some paracord and watch a few videos on how to tie a trucker's hitch. It's the most useful skill you'll have for owning a truck. I can tie down and secure anything in less time than it took me with ratchet staps and rope is much more versatile. Trucker's hitch is very easy to tie once you learn it. Such a valuable skill for a truck owner.

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
For those interested in the above mentioned trucker’s hitch…

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I just went on Amazon and bought an assortment of Rachet straps, smaller pull straps as well as some bungee cords. Nothing Rivian specific. Simple tie-downs. They fit perfectly in the spare tire well.

csharp

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

I’m another fan of some line, a bowline on one end and a truckers hitch on the other end.
BUT I do keep small bag in the truck w several adjustable bungees and 5 or so ratchet straps / cam lock straps stored in ziplock bags to keep them organized.

RivianDeac

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge
Great products I have never seen before! Thank you all for the recommendations!

I dont have a spare and tired of everything crashing all around in here. Cut this plywood to size, paint and secure with bolt where the tire was. Nylon straps around the edges to secure cargo. I keep everything here inc portable charger, extension cable, adapters, tire change tools, carwash stuff, tow hitch, jack pucks etc etc.

Rivian R1T R1S Bungee Cords, Straps, Rope, Oh My! (tying down loads in the bed) 52F6AE43-E3A2-4E7D-93F8-844762E5EA79

Last edited:

Sponsored

csharp

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

Great products I have never seen before! Thank you all for the recommendations!

I dont have a spare and tired of everything crashing all around in here. Cut this plywood to size, paint and secure with bolt where the tire was. Nylon straps around the edges to secure cargo. I keep everything here inc portable charger, extension cable, adapters, tire change tools, carwash stuff, tow hitch, jack pucks etc etc.

52F6AE43-E3A2-4E7D-93F8-844762E5EA79.jpeg
Did your spare tire cavity not come with the divider? I did not opt for the spare either but my compartment came with a nice 3 way divider that keeps things from moving around.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired

CyklopsPDX

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Audi Q5, 2017 Subaru Legacy
Occupation
Engineer
That was one of the first accessories I got for the R1T. With such a long tailgate and the tonneau having a little load (like a cooler and such for camping) held to the back section of the bed is super nice. I've not seen any issues with the bed liner when tightening up the bar in lots of different locations. Sometime I can just barely see some visual flex.
I have one of these as well, and I follow some precautions - after I discussed its use with a Rivian service guy during a recent appointment.

First, the area at the tiedown loops and the areas where the screws hold in the liner are strong enough to affix the bar really tightly. I've used the bar in those locations to secure heavy loads (scuba tanks in horizontal holders, wheels, etc) so they don't slide around.

Second, there is sheet metal behind the plastic liner in almost all locations, however that will easily deform. This is especially worrisome on the wheelwells. I only use the bar in these locations if I want a really weak support to keep things from sliding around (camp chairs on the way to kids soccer games, grocery bags, etc.). Typically I get it to make contact and do one or 2 more 'clicks'. I hate giving the truck some juice at a light or hitting the brakes and hearing those things impact the tailgate or front of the bed!

That covers 75% of my needs - and ratchet straps cover the rest.

CyKlops

RivianDeac

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge
Did your spare tire cavity not come with the divider? I did not opt for the spare either but my compartment came with a nice 3 way divider that keeps things from moving around.
I took it out almost immediately . The floor is not flat, little things still crashed around, and bigger objects like a breaker bar or torque wrench didnt fit right. This mod gave me. a flat surface, flexibility to secure any size object, and got back the space that divider thing used up.
Sponsored

Last edited: