Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Now that I think about this a bit more... The "jump" point connections behind the rear bumper, are those 2 points hot all the time, or only during a jump? If they are hot all the time, it just got a LOT easier. Install a battery isolator with those 2 wires, find a 12v reference for the switched side, and connect your battery.

Could even use a set of those quick disconnect battery jumper plugs to make it easy for removal of your remote battery.
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Conn...locphy=9028724&hvtargid=pla-569277321020&th=1

Edit: The only caveat I can think of, is you dont want to have 2 dissimilar batteries. So you may have to buy a replacement battery for under the hood, and your remote, or buy a factory battery for your remote.

Edit2: Or what about the 7 pin trailer plug. It sounds like it might already have a isolator in it?
Jumper wires aren't always hot and the trailer plug is pretty low current. Anyone truly considering this with isolation should be running a power wire to one of the batteries (fused, obviously) and just using the chassis ground.
Sponsored

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Jumper wires aren't always hot and the trailer plug is pretty low current. Anyone truly considering this with isolation should be running a power wire to one of the batteries (fused, obviously) and just using the chassis ground.
Low current would be fine for recharging/maintaining the battery, since you are isolating it from the EV12v anyways.

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

the apex winch also comes with a kit to relocate the
Would love to hear from someone who has done this successfully.
How about unsuccessfully?
I couldn't use the 12v system comfortably for my set up,
I have a Noco trickle charger that is good for slow charging from the 120v, which is definitely inefficient but helps provide a buffer with the Rivian on board power supplies.

The battery I have is a bit larger, but has worked for me to unstuck myself once and move my buddies taco without any noticeable Amperage sag

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

I have seen some pics of a test Rivian I guess with a winch built into the bumper itself. I don’t know what is the underlying mount point, but it is fully integrated.

here something about it:
https://carbuzz.com/news/rivian-owners-discover-the-winch-option-is-now-available
I pulled off my bumper, today, there is a steel beam that the u bolts are tied into, that are likely what the OEM one was using.

Unfortunately, the void between that beam and the bumper is about 3.5", meaning there is no real way to hide the apex (spool alone is 5 inches deep).

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

How do you foresee an OEM front bumper winch? would it be a bumper replacement, or use the tow hooks? maybe, Idk I'm just a noob on this.
would need to be fatter to accommodate spool (at least for the apex)
probably would make sense for aftermarket to make it steel plate (or aluminum)

You can see a good naked view of the area in the munro teardown videos

Sponsored

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Have you tried mounting it upside down? Assuming it just slides in the receiver. Should give you a better camera view, at least of the tension on your line, and may be able to put the tailgate down.
You can also take the control head off this unit for a lower profile mount that may clear the camera and tailgate more accessible.

Buckets0fun

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
OF
Front receiver works great.

Winch setup will get installed when I’m able to get stuck enough to require it.
So far nothing the TJM recovery kit and the Toyo Tires OpenCountry C/T can’t get through.
Rivian R1T R1S Hitch-mount Winch installed (with pics) IMG_4529

Nine_One_Six_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Clubs

Is there a teardown for the R1S? I've seen the Thumbnail for an R1T but did not watch it. Would the bumpers be the same?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Is there a teardown for the R1S? I've seen the Thumbnail for an R1T but did not watch it. Would the bumpers be the same?
Front is the same but the rears are different. The hitch is lighter duty on the R1S.

Buckets0fun

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
OF
Yes they are the same.

I don’t see how anyone could build the type of brush guard as seen in the RSC pics.
As far as a winch mount inboard, it could be done but it would need a set of roller guides to look&work best with the bumper shape. We’ve worked on one concept but have settled with the usefulness of the front receiver.
TireTail
Rivian R1T R1S Hitch-mount Winch installed (with pics) AB0EA20B-E9A6-4170-B47A-4081C4DE6633

Sponsored

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Never checked for an R1S but my understanding is they are near identical forward of the gear tunnel

OP
OP

Carloc

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

I would love a nice solid metal clean lines bumper with a winch mount space. What I was told by other folks is that the 12v setup of the Rivian is also not likely strong enough for a winch (~400amps or so)

Gr8smiles

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Dentist
I have just finished isntalling a Badlands Apex 12k winch on a hitch winch mount. For power I am running a 900cca 160rc 95Ah battery in a simple box sitting in the bed. I have a switch (coming with the winch) to disconnect, but will also install an Andersen plug or similar to be able to separate the winch and battery.

The overall weight is significant (82lb for the winch, 30lb for tray, + the battery) so I will not box it in a single unit, but I need a solution to cleanly store in the bed when not in use (as it reduces departure angles).

IMG_2900.jpeg

IMG_2902.jpeg

IMG_2901.jpeg
Nice install! I would treat it like a portable wench, move it to anchor point. Then Pull my R1S from a tow hook.
Sponsored