Sponsored

Brake Light Activation Poll

Do you feel the brake lights should turn on with less deceleration?

• Total voters

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I've driven EVs for 4 years now and manual transmission cars since I started driving. While in the EV I find I tend to brake earlier and lighter than ICE vehicles. My MINI's brake lights seem to come on exactly when I expect them to even with light regen use (throttle modulation). For some reason in my Rivian I often wind up nearly to the stop line before I see the brake lights activate. I got to try snow mode for the first time this morning and it was even worse since you want to brake less on a slick surface. In one case on the way home last night I noticed it was bad enough that the car behind started leaving more space because the lights weren't coming on until I came to a complete stop in stop and go traffic. Anyone else feel they should come on with less braking force / deceleration??
Sponsored

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
Yours doesn’t sound right. Mine seems to turn on at appropriate times if the screen is accurately depicting brake light activation.

OP
OP
zefram47

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Yours doesn’t sound right. Mine seems to turn on at appropriate times if the screen is accurately depicting brake light activation.
This morning it looked like 30-50% minimum on the regen indicator on the dash before the lights came on.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
There is a regulation that specifically calls this out that needs to be followed.

Rivian R1T R1S Brake Light Activation Poll IMG_3268

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I would not want mine to come on earlier. I really dislike it when people ride their brakes, which often makes it more difficult to tell the difference between when they are essentially coasting to a stop versus when they are more actively braking.

To me, moving the threshold of when the lights activate works to dilute their effect, because the brake lights are illuminated over a wider range of deceleration rates, including rates that really shouldn’t count as active braking.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
There are no issues with the Rivian brake light timing under regen. If you have a problem with yours; take it to the service center.

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I wish Rivian would simply allow us to turn off regen altogether. It’s a much more enjoyable driving experience and, at least according to Ford and Porsche, it doesn’t result in any appreciable gain/loss in range.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

There is a regulation that specifically calls this out that needs to be followed.

IMG_3268.jpeg
do you know if Rivian uses the 0.7 or the 1.3 to determine when the lights are activated.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I wish Rivian would simply allow us to turn off regen altogether. It’s a much more enjoyable driving experience and, at least according to Ford and Porsche, it doesn’t result in any appreciable gain/loss in range.
Rivian doesn't do blended braking.

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
I often notice mine at night reflecting off my crossbars and if anything it they come on too soon IMO, although I have no qualms with them. It is almost instant from when I lift up even just to coast around a corner where in an ICE vehicle I would have lifted and waited for a little engine decel before actually putting my foot on the brake.

Sponsored

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
While I don't care if they add a no-regen mode, I would disagree that it is in any way more enjoyable. 1-pedal driving is a huge feature, and far more enjoyable that I even imagined before purchasing. I would turn up the regen higher if it was available, but I am not sure if the motors/battery are capable of more.

OP
OP
zefram47

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Seems like most think there's no issue. I wonder if it's even possible for the accelerometer in my truck to be miscalibrated.

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
While I don't care if they add a no-regen mode, I would disagree that it is in any way more enjoyable. 1-pedal driving is a huge feature, and far more enjoyable that I even imagined before purchasing. I would turn up the regen higher if it was available, but I am not sure if the motors/battery are capable of more.
Yeah, it’s definitely a personal preference thing and I’m hoping for a no regen mode in addition to the current settings. I’m accustomed to the regen and can drive it fine, I just don’t personally like it.

But also, I think it’s a safety issue in snow/ice despite “snow mode” and because of the brake light issue noted in this thread. Regen makes it difficult to slowly creep up my narrow, steep driveway that is adjacent to a retaining wall, or if you’re trying to parallel park in heavy downtown traffic. Plus, my regen usually goes to almost zero with no advance warning in the morning because the battery isn’t warm enough and I abruptly stop braking at some point during a downhill 3 mile stretch of highway with heavy traffic. I’m fortunate that I haven’t rear-ended someone yet since it’s stop-and-go and I just suddenly lose braking that I expect to be there. All of this could be easily remedied by allowing us to have a no regen mode. I doubt it happens, but it would be really nice to have the option.

OP
OP
zefram47

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

What I would like to see is the entire rear light bar light up red when the brake lights come on!!!
I think DOT regulations prevent that because there would be no separation between the left/right lights. On another note, I'm pretty disappointed that Rivian didn't include amber turn signals in the rear. As small as the brake lights are using one of them for a turn signal means even less visibility when braking.
Sponsored