Bluetooth off PAAK still unlocks?

ye3hawp0ny

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Anyone else's phone unlocks their car even when their Bluetooth is off? Sometimes it happens to my R1T, must be some kind of glitch?
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That is strange. And you didn’t have the fob with you when it unlocked?

OP
OP

ye3hawp0ny

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
That is strange. And you didn’t have the fob with you when it unlocked?
I have the keycard in my wallet, not the fob. But I'm not actively going up to the truck to unlock, just walking by it

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I have the keycard in my wallet, not the fob. But I'm not actively going up to the truck to unlock, just walking by it
I don’t know what kind of phone you have, but maybe it’s possible to have BT turned “off” for your phone but it’s still turned on in the Rivian app permissions? On my iPhone I can turn off main BT and the app permission is still set to “on”. I’m not near my truck to see if it actually makes a difference. Just an idea…

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

I've seen the app turn it back on. Can't remember if it was my old Pixel 3 XL or new Pixel 8 Pro. But distinctly remember turning Bluetooth off, and seeing the app turn it back on. 🤷 Maybe Gremlins?

Sponsored

OP
OP

ye3hawp0ny

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
I've seen the app turn it back on. Can't remember if it was my old Pixel 3 XL or new Pixel 8 Pro. But distinctly remember turning Bluetooth off, and seeing the app turn it back on. 🤷 Maybe Gremlins?
I had the pixel 6A and now the 8 so maybe it's a android Google issue..

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I had the pixel 6A and now the 8 so maybe it's a android Google issue..
You can read this, it probably is what you are seeing.

By the way, if you do not want your app interacting with your vehicle, set the app on your iPhone to only use location services when app is open. Then you can force close the app on your phone it the vehicle will not see it.

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have a Galaxy S22+ and can confirm that with Bluetooth off, I can walk up to the truck, and it goes from "Sleep" to "Standby" (can see from home assistant) and unlocks. Super strange. I can only assume off isn't off, but I see nothing in my settings that would allow me to do anything different.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I see nothing in my settings that would allow me to do anything different.
Try airplane mode instead, just as a test.

Since the communication with the vehicle is over Bluetooth, I don't see any possible way for the vehicle to know you're there if Bluetooth is really disabled.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Try airplane mode instead, just as a test.

Since the communication with the vehicle is over Bluetooth, I don't see any possible way for the vehicle to know you're there if Bluetooth is really disabled.
It also communicates over the internet. So I suppose that, if the phone location is accurately assessed to be near the vehicle, the app could unlock via cellular connection if that's how Rivian decided to do it.

Sponsored

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
My app has been reporting my phone key unpaired for 2 days now, however PaaK is still getting me to and from the office every day. I haven't had the FOB with me, no other prox key in place. There is definitely still some pairing in place and working, at this point I'm just letting it ride to see if it stops working...another oddity with Bluetooth and PaaK, figured I would drop it in this thread.

Rivian R1T R1S Bluetooth off PAAK still unlocks? Screenshot_20231222_143127_Rivian

yosupitscel

First Name
Cel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '19 Model 3, a bunch of old jeeps
Occupation
Engineer
Anyone else's phone unlocks their car even when their Bluetooth is off? Sometimes it happens to my R1T, must be some kind of glitch?
I have a Samsung S22 and noticed this too. If you turn off bluetooth AND location then it won't unlock. But if you leave either one on it continues working.

I've also noticed the Rivian app is a real battery hog. My phone is constantly notifying me that the app is BT scanning frequently which impacts battery life.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

It's called bt scanning I think.

Rivian R1T R1S Bluetooth off PAAK still unlocks? Screenshot_20231222_212115_Settings

Rivian R1T R1S Bluetooth off PAAK still unlocks? Screenshot_20231222_212040_Settings

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I have a Samsung S22 and noticed this too. If you turn off bluetooth AND location then it won't unlock. But if you leave either one on it continues working.

I've also noticed the Rivian app is a real battery hog. My phone is constantly notifying me that the app is BT scanning frequently which impacts battery life.
The IOS app is not that bad, uses about 11% in 24 hours. I have 4 things worse on my phone in the past 24 hours.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yep. Mine does.
Sponsored