Sponsored

Best tire / wheel combo for deep snow.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I don't think you'll ever miss snow-tires if you get the ATs.
Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I don't think you'll ever miss snow-tires if you get the ATs.
Will check with my tire guy and by driving in cold and snow with the AT’s , hopefully by April. Be great if the AT’s were also all weather.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Quick note here - the 20" ATs should be good (maybe even great) for deep snow. For ice, however, you'll want a proper winter tire with a soft compound and siping. Seattleites, I'm looking at you as you slide down Queen Anne wondering why your knobbies aren't helping.

The R1T in general should have good winter fundamentals with great traction, evenly distributed weight (not like most pickups), four-motor-drive, etc. And the ATs should be good. But deep snow is more like mud than it is like ice. If you're in a place that gets freezing rain or plow-freeze-plow-freeze style shit like we get in the PNW, be careful; nothing beats real, soft-compound tires. (Except staying home, which should always be high on your list of options.)

(But please god don't drive around Seattle for November-March with studded tires. You know who you are.)

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Quick note here - the 20" ATs should be good (maybe even great) for deep snow. For ice, however, you'll want a proper winter tire with a soft compound and siping. Seattleites, I'm looking at you as you slide down Queen Anne wondering why your knobbies aren't helping.

The R1T in general should have good winter fundamentals with great traction, evenly distributed weight (not like most pickups), four-motor-drive, etc. And the ATs should be good. But deep snow is more like mud than it is like ice. If you're in a place that gets freezing rain or plow-freeze-plow-freeze style shit like we get in the PNW, be careful; nothing beats real, soft-compound tires. (Except staying home, which should always be high on your list of options.)

(But please god don't drive around Seattle for November-March with studded tires. You know who you are.)
I am sure you are right about ice conditions needing true winter tires with softer rubber and even studs. Thanks!

like2short

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW m3
Occupation
Race car driver
I will be using my R1T in Northern Ontario, Canada where 200+" of snow arrive every winter. I wonder what Rivian considers the best tire and wheel package for this weather. Sometimes the roads have a foot of snow a few hours after being plowed, and I have places to go! I spec'd mine with 20" wheel and AT tires, but is it possible that the 21" standard wheel could perform better with dedicated snow tires? I bet Rivian has the answer.
The 21” size is unique to the Rivian. There is only 1 supplier with pirelli. The 20” size is very common and the 22” size is used on current generation gm pickups and suvs.

Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

The 21” size is unique to the Rivian. There is only 1 supplier with pirelli. The 20” size is very common and the 22” size is used on current generation gm pickups and suvs.
Facts that matter! Thanks.

like2short

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW m3
Occupation
Race car driver
Facts that matter! Thanks.
You are welcome! I am choosing the 22s, because I drive on street mostly and having alternate suppliers matters if you have an emergency.

I highly recommend either the 20 or 22 just for the sake of alternate tire suppliers. The 20 would be the most versatile with the most alternate tire choices.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

You are welcome! I am choosing the 22s, because I drive on street mostly and having alternate suppliers matters if you have an emergency.

I highly recommend either the 20 or 22 just for the sake of alternate tire suppliers. The 20 would be the most versatile with the most alternate tire choices.
like2short: For true winter tires, studded, best tires on ice, would you pick the 20 or 22? For summer rocks, ruts, and pot holes I have ordered the 20s but I am ready to get the sets of both 20 and 22 wheels, the latter for winter, since I will already have the 20s for summer. If the 20 size is best for both all terrain and winter then I may skip getting 22 wheels, however, there is an advantage to getting two sets of wheels with two seasonal sets of tires even if they are the same size. Such minutia…..

like2short

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW m3
Occupation
Race car driver
like2short: For true winter tires, studded, best tires on ice, would you pick the 20 or 22? For summer rocks, ruts, and pot holes I have ordered the 20s but I am ready to get the sets of both 20 and 22 wheels, the latter for winter, since I will already have the 20s for summer. If the 20 size is best for both all terrain and winter then I may skip getting 22 wheels, however, there is an advantage to getting two sets of wheels with two seasonal sets of tires even if they are the same size. Such minutia…..
For studs 20” all the way. More choices ! I don’t know if you can get studded tires in the 22” size currently. Yes I agree and multiple tires for different use cases.

Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

like2short

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW m3
Occupation
Race car driver
Yep! Nokian tires are amazing for winter! It make sense buying from a company based in a very snowy part of the world!

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
fwiw. I had BFG K02s on an F-150 Hybrid during a heavy storm cycle (18 feet in December) with a ski cabin on a 16 degree road, the driveway is 20 degrees and there was fresh snow on a packed base covering asphalt and concrete with snow up the bumper of the Ford.

I usually go to chains when the snow is above the middle of the tire. I had four chains but didn't need them. I think it was "favorable" snow (sticky and dry … the squeaky kind … I'm sure Eskimos, Alaskans, Scandinavians all have a specific word ave a specific word for it.)

I normally drive a Tesla Model X P100DL with Hakkapelittas (not studded) and that vehicle is fine, but has no "snow" mode, so it's traction systems can be annoying.

I plan on trying the Hakkapelitta 10 EV on the Rivian (hopefully in the next few weeks!)
Sponsored