DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Hakkas in the same size as the Scorpion ATs actually have a higher load index than the Pirellis
I haven't gone back to look again, but has either Rivian or Pirelli listed the Load Ratings for any of these R1T/R1S-specific tires yet? I remember looking for that info several times here and scanning pics of the tires for the L.R., but don't recall seeing them.

Did I bother to get a close look when they right in front of me? Nope! Oh well..... ?‍♂
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I haven't gone back to look again, but has either Rivian or Pirelli listed the Load Ratings for any of these R1T/R1S-specific tires yet? I remember looking for that info several times here and scanning pics of the tires for the L.R., but don't recall seeing them.

Did I bother to get a close look when they right in front of me? Nope! Oh well..... ?‍♂
The Rivian version of the scorpion AT is 115 load index, Hakkas the same size are 126.

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
The ATs should be fine. I *plow snow* with Michelin LTX AT2 All Terrain tires on my Avalanche. We've had some 15" - 20" snows in Pennsylvania in the past few years. I've never had a problem with a good AT tire, providing you don't drive like an idiot.

Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I will be using my R1T in Northern Ontario, Canada where 200+" of snow arrive every winter. I wonder what Rivian considers the best tire and wheel package for this weather. Sometimes the roads have a foot of snow a few hours after being plowed, and I have places to go! I spec'd mine with 20" wheel and AT tires, but is it possible that the 21" standard wheel could perform better with dedicated snow tires? I bet Rivian has the answer.
Have the same issue here in Moran, Wyoming.
The Rivian version of the scorpion AT is 115 load index, Hakkas the same size are 126.
Which
Which Hakka model has the 126 load index rating? Is this also studded? Thanks.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Have the same issue here in Moran, Wyoming.

Which

Which Hakka model has the 126 load index rating? Is this also studded? Thanks.
The one I linked in my post is the studded version of the hakkapeliita truck/suv tire, in 275/65R20.

I’ll be retaining the OE all terrains. their severe service rating should serve me well enough. And I won’t have to deal with storing a set of 34” OD tires.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Hakkas in the same size as the Scorpion ATs actually have a higher load index than the Pirellis
They make an EV model already. So maybe they will make one for the Rivian.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

The one I linked in my post is the studded version of the hakkapeliita truck/suv tire, in 275/65R20.

I’ll be retaining the OE all terrains. their severe service rating should serve me well enough. And I won’t have to deal with storing a set of 34” OD tires.
May go with Hakkas if the R1S arrives early. If late, shall wait for next year’s winter. Thanks again for your posts. Excellent.

Dman250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Transit plus a few more, all ICE
Those things SUCK.

Maybe better than all seasons, but will not help a severe service rated tire out.
In some western states such as California, the purpose of something like an auto sock (or even just a crusty bag of chains in some random size that you got on CL for $10) is not to actually fit and provide traction. It is merely to show an inspector at a CalTrans chain control stop that you have chains. I have never encountered the Class 3 chain requirements, which require chains to be installed even on 4wd vehicles with “snow” tires (I use quotes because M&S tires with a certain amount of tread qualify as snow tires here, even without 3 peak rating or being true snow tires like Blizzaks). But you are required to have them in your possession can be cited if you don’t carry them when any chain controls are in effect, even the least stringent Class 1 which only requires snow tires even on 2wd.

Sponsored

André

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Sprinter, Tesla Model Y Long Range
Occupation
Finances
Any 4 seasons tires with minimum requirement rating for winter are really bad when it gets really cold whichever the size. The compound becomes as hard as an hockey puck and will be unmanageable on black ice. Get real winter tires.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
In almost all cases, deep snow means "Roads are closing, people are sliding off the road, roads aren't plowed, but some other guys with 4x4s have probably made tracks just like me".

In those cases, a snow tire (IE: Blizzak), with chains if needed, is best.

Fresh powder is mud tires with low air pressure, but this is rare, at least on a public road.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Dedicated snow tires on any of the rim sizes will be better than any of the standard tires that come with the Rivian. Finding snows for the 21" will be challenging at best.

If it were me, I'd run the stock 20's (since they have the 3 Peak designation) for a season and see how it goes. If it's not great, then I'd buy dedicated snows, which you are open to doing anyway it seems.

EDIT: jjswan33 beat me to the punch, and his advice is sage.
Thats my plan. If I had more funds I would by a second set of 21 or 22s and tires for summer.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
I've had great results in high alpine of Colorado chasing first tracks for snow skiing in both high rated snow and mud AT's, and various snow tires. The pure snows wear fast given softer rubber compound, while the AT's can be left on all year. For clarity, note AT's are not comparable to all-seasons.

YMMV in range, but that's another topic. My general view is a proper winter set of sneakers is cheaper than an accident, and will help get you harvest the freshies before the masses scoop them up.

Tirerack consumer OR/AT ratings, note many have higher snow ratings:

On-/Off-Road All-Terrain Ratings Charts (tirerack.com)

Tirerack consumer SUV/light truck studless snow ratings:

Studless Ice & Snow Ratings Charts (tirerack.com)

Tirerack consumer SUV/light truck studdable snow ratings:

Light Truck/SUV Studdable Winter / Snow Ratings Charts (tirerack.com)

Tirerack consumer SUV/light truck performance snow ratings:

Light Truck/SUV Performance Winter / Snow Ratings Charts (tirerack.com)
Sponsored