First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche 911 GTS
Occupation
Dentist, air show pilot
I will be using my R1T in Northern Ontario, Canada where 200+" of snow arrive every winter. I wonder what Rivian considers the best tire and wheel package for this weather. Sometimes the roads have a foot of snow a few hours after being plowed, and I have places to go! I spec'd mine with 20" wheel and AT tires, but is it possible that the 21" standard wheel could perform better with dedicated snow tires? I bet Rivian has the answer.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You will be hard pressed to find snow tires for the 21" wheel. It's a very uncommon size.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

It's worth noting that the 20" ATs are 3 peak rated which means they meet the minimum requirements to be classified a snow tire. That said a dedicated set of snow tires with the softer compounds will likely perform better.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Dedicated snow tires on any of the rim sizes will be better than any of the standard tires that come with the Rivian. Finding snows for the 21" will be challenging at best.

If it were me, I'd run the stock 20's (since they have the 3 Peak designation) for a season and see how it goes. If it's not great, then I'd buy dedicated snows, which you are open to doing anyway it seems.

EDIT: jjswan33 beat me to the punch, and his advice is sage.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

This makes me wonder if the R1T will accept tire chains. I don't recall it was stated one way or the other in the owners manual.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Stock 20's switch to Nokian Hakkepelitas for ultimate snow traction.
This.

Go to Kal Tire, order a set of these if you're really worried about grip with all the lake effect snow you get down there.

Otherwise though the stock 20" AT do have the severe service rating, so they should be 85% as good as a dedicated winter tire.

That's what I'll be sticking with. I even have to drive to Red Lake sometimes.

News to me that Muskoka is Northern Ontario. I guess it is, relative to Toronto.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
This makes me wonder if the R1T will accept tire chains. I don't recall it was stated one way or the other in the owners manual.
I really hope so. While I don't need chains, I'd like to go with a standard 35" tire on 20" wheels for offroad purposes. If there's clearance for chains, there's clearance for another 1/2" of tire.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

It's worth noting that the 20" ATs are 3 peak rated which means they meet the minimum requirements to be classified a snow tire. That said a dedicated set of snow tires with the softer compounds will likely perform better.
THIS.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Agreed. Given that I'll probably be taking delivery of my R1S when snow is still a factor this winter I am hoping that I get a chance to try this for real. A regular trip I take each winter is from my house on the Front Range up to Eldora Ski Resort. I'm _really_ interested to see how they do up that hill to Eldora by the lake.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Agreed. Given that I'll probably be taking delivery of my R1S when snow is still a factor this winter I am hoping that I get a chance to try this for real. A regular trip I take each winter is from my house on the Front Range up to Eldora Ski Resort. I'm _really_ interested to see how they do up that hill to Eldora by the lake.
Yea, I'm very curious to see how the Pirelli Scorpions handle our snow. I normally like Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws. They are FABULOUS in snow. BFG K02s are pretty good as well.

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
We average 300 plus inches were I live. I have BFG K02s on my 2002 Avalanche 2500 and they work fine. The Pirelli Scorpions will likely do fine also.

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
I have the Nokian Hakkapelitas (19") on my rear wheel drive Model S and they are the best I've tried over many years.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Great advice, but make sure the load rating is sufficient for the Rivian. I've used Hakka's for a few Winters and they handle the slick conditions very well. Another plus is that they're fairly quiet, given their purpose.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Great advice, but make sure the load rating is sufficient for the Rivian. I've used Hakka's for a few Winters and they handle the slick conditions very well. Another plus is that they're fairly quiet, given their purpose.
Hakkas in the same size as the Scorpion ATs actually have a higher load index than the Pirellis
Sponsored