Sponsored

Best tire / wheel combo for deep snow.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
fwiw. I had BFG K02s on an F-150 Hybrid during a heavy storm cycle (18 feet in December) with a ski cabin on a 16 degree road, the driveway is 20 degrees and there was fresh snow on a packed base covering asphalt and concrete with snow up the bumper of the Ford.

I usually go to chains when the snow is above the middle of the tire. I had four chains but didn't need them. I think it was "favorable" snow (sticky and dry ā€¦ the squeaky kind ā€¦ I'm sure Eskimos, Alaskans, Scandinavians all have a specific word ave a specific word for it.)

I normally drive a Tesla Model X P100DL with Hakkapelittas (not studded) and that vehicle is fine, but has no "snow" mode, so it's traction systems can be annoying.

I plan on trying the Hakkapelitta 10 EV on the Rivian (hopefully in the next few weeks!)
BFG AT are quite good in winter, so are Goodyear duratracs.

If the Pirellis are close to those in performance, dedicated winters wonā€™t be needed.

Iā€˜ve never put dedicated winter tires on a truck-severe service rated ATs are sufficient-, but on every car Iā€™ve owned that sees winterā€¦ dedicated winter tires are a must.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
The 21ā€ size is unique to the Rivian. There is only 1 supplier with pirelli. The 20ā€ size is very common and the 22ā€ size is used on current generation gm pickups and suvs.
Rare, not unique.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Rare, not unique.
Pirelli has stated otherwise. And as far as I know, it is still a size that is unique to Rivian and manufactured only by Pirelli unless someone else has brought another tire to market in this size in the last 12 months.

Rivian R1T R1S Best tire / wheel combo for deep snow. riv_uniq

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I have Toyo Open Country AT IIIs on my Tacoma and they have been wonderful in all conditions, including deep snow. I wasn't as impressed with Duratracs as others are. Mine kept getting packed full of snow, then losing traction.

lmr

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat B7, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Technical Product Management
Clubs

This makes me wonder if the R1T will accept tire chains. I don't recall it was stated one way or the other in the owners manual.
From latest version of R1T Owners Manual:

Rivian R1T R1S Best tire / wheel combo for deep snow. Rivian_Chains_Warning.PNG

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I'm a bit surprised at all the negative comments on AT tires snow performance. I've been running Michelin LTX MS2 for years on my truck. I've had great results, including working well for snow plowing. I'll give the Pirelli-Rivian AT tires a run at the snow, no worries.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Pirelli has stated otherwise. And as far as I know, it is still a size that is unique to Rivian and manufactured only by Pirelli unless someone else has brought another tire to market in this size in the last 12 months.

riv_uniq.png
"Modern-day vehicles with 21-inch tires include the Lexus LC 500, Tesla Model S, BMW X5 and X7, Porsche 992, Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport, Audi e-Tron, Lincoln Aviator Grand Touring and Range Rover. "

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/size/21-inch/

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
"Modern-day vehicles with 21-inch tires include the Lexus LC 500, Tesla Model S, BMW X5 and X7, Porsche 992, Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport, Audi e-Tron, Lincoln Aviator Grand Touring and Range Rover. "

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/size/21-inch/
Nobody is saying that a 21" tire is unique. The statement is that a 275/55R21 (the 21" fitment for Rivian) is currently a unique size. It is not OE fitment for anything other than Rivian and only Pirelli makes that specific size.

RideAlong

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Porsche Panamera S + 19 Ford F-150
Occupation
Dentist
For DEEP snow : Michelin X Snoplus M&S

don't worry about the price - if you can afford a Rivian these should be no prob.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm a bit surprised at all the negative comments on AT tires snow performance. I've been running Michelin LTX MS2 for years on my truck. I've had great results, including working well for snow plowing. I'll give the Pirelli-Rivian AT tires a run at the snow, no worries.
I donā€™t know many people who bother with dedicated winters on a truck. Most everyone uses severe service rated ATs.

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I donā€™t know many people who bother with dedicated winters on a truck. Most everyone uses severe service rated ATs.
I tend to agree. Towing a snowmobile trailer you either get winters or you use chains (or you futz around getting stuck.) I had a 6.0 diesel and the weight of it meant it didn't like deep snow (it would just sink down to the belly) and the solution was snow tires (all-terrain tires dig down for traction below) which had floatation and the silica tread compound remains sticky when frozen overnight. An expensive luxury, but given the weight of the R1, I'm guessing the small percentage of owners that really go into deep snow will want four wheel traction (and Rivian appears to be saying rear wheels only for chains ā€¦ I'm guessing that's a steering clearance issue, but we'll see.)

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
BFG AT are quite good in winter, so are Goodyear duratracs.

If the Pirellis are close to those in performance, dedicated winters wonā€™t be needed.

Iā€˜ve never put dedicated winter tires on a truck-severe service rated ATs are sufficient-, but on every car Iā€™ve owned that sees winterā€¦ dedicated winter tires are a must.
I was impressed. I expected they'd do what all all-terrain tread patterns do: dig, but instead, they acted like a "real" snow tire: stayed sticky and soft overnight, didn't freeze solid, stayed "coated" in snow to create snow-to-snow traction and left a reassuring tread pattern (not slipping, spinning and digging.)
I read posts here and elsewhere and spoke with some friends who live in "real" cold (Minnesota) who said "pay up for the performance." I happened to be in the biggest winter December in California in decades (18 feet in a month is a lot of shoveling) and I fully expected to chain up front and rear (which I would have to do to tow the snowmobile trailer) but not this time. Of course, a freeze-thaw and conditions can become more difficult than lovely squeaky powder.
I'm sure they're not as good as full-on snow tire (studded or unstudded) but I have some pretty difficult road to cover near a ski cabin and they didn't quit.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I tend to agree. Towing a snowmobile trailer you either get winters or you use chains (or you futz around getting stuck.) I had a 6.0 diesel and the weight of it meant it didn't like deep snow (it would just sink down to the belly) and the solution was snow tires (all-terrain tires dig down for traction below) which had floatation and the silica tread compound remains sticky when frozen overnight. An expensive luxury, but given the weight of the R1, I'm guessing the small percentage of owners that really go into deep snow will want four wheel traction (and Rivian appears to be saying rear wheels only for chains ā€¦ I'm guessing that's a steering clearance issue, but we'll see.)
in Canada, chains on passenger vehicles very are very rare these days. Required on commercial trucks over a certain GVW in the mountains. But in the prairies and even in the Rockies you donā€™t see them on non commercial vehicles.

Californiaā€™s winter tire rules seem to presume no one has dedicated winter tires, so they stick to chains.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

If a true Winter tire is needed, another option might be Nokian's line of Winter tires for SUV's. In the 20' size, they're available in 275/60. They're the same width as the Pirelli's, but 1.08 inches shorter in height, per the tacomaworld.com link below. That site also tells us that this equates to a 3.2% smaller circumference compared to the 275/65 Pirelli A/T's. If Rivian uses a mechanical connection to the speedo/odometer, that will result in a readout of 3.2% faster than your actual speed.

Another difference is the slightly lower Load Index of the Hakka's. The 20' and 21' Pirelli's are rated at 116, while the 22' Pirelli's and the 20' Hakka's are rated at 115, neither with the XL designation found on the two smaller Pirelli's. Even at 115, both of the latter are designed to handle a GVWR of 10,716 pounds, or 2,184 pounds more than the R1T's 8,532 GVWR. I'd never drop in Load Index without a professional weighing in, but again, these are the same as the 22' Pirelli's.

I'm awaiting clarification from Rivian CS regarding the Load Index rating minimums for their vehicles. If anyone (@Iwantatesla?) has a pic of the tire card on the Driver's door pillar, that would be helpful to see. I'm guessing here, but I think the extra 308 lbs. of GVWR provided by the 116 Load Ratings of the 20's and 21's may have to do with the potential stress of off-roading, whereas the 22's aren't intended for that. I know I'm likely sticking to relatively smooth surfaces with any Winter tires, ice chunks and crappy pavement not withstanding.

Given that the width of these true Winter tires are the same as the Pirelli variant, side clearance wouldn't be an issue. Given the slightly lower height, ground clearance is a little more than a half-inch shorter, but there's also that same amount of additional space for clearance up inside the fender well, should snow start to build up.

The Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV tire is non-studded, and Load and Speed rated at 115R (good to 106 mph). Their new Hakkapeliitta 10 SUV tire is rated at 115T (good to 118 mph), which might be a bit of overkill for a studded tire. Their Hakka 9 SUV studded comes in 275/55 R20's rated as 117T with the XL designation, giving a max load rating of 2833 lbs, or GVWR of 11,332, and up to 118 mph. That said, the height shrinkage magnifies the speedo differences, while also losing a minimal amount of ground clearance.

The good news for those opting for the 22' Rivian Sport Wheels is that Nokia makes the Hakka 9 studded tires in 275/50 R 22 115T XL, an exact match of the Pirelli tires on the Rivian. If studded tires are needed, this would make for an outstanding setup! That non-forged wheel with low-profile tires may be worrisome, if you live where the roads get super beat-up and large fenderbergs routinely fall from the semis in front of you.

The dedicated Winter tread patterns and rubber compounds in all of the Hakka's are really tough to beat for snow and icy conditions, although the studs of the 9's and 10's are tough on the roadways.

https://www.nokiantires.com/snow-winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-10-suv/

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=275-65r20-275-60r20

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...!3!354820920365!p!!g!!load index&gclsrc=aw.ds

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

If a true Winter tire is needed, another option might be Nokian's line of Winter tires for SUV's. In the 20' size, they're available in 275/60. They're the same width as the Pirelli's, but 1.08 inches shorter in height, per the tacomaworld.com link below. That site also tells us that this equates to a 3.2% smaller circumference compared to the 275/65 Pirelli A/T's. If Rivian uses a mechanical connection to the speedo/odometer, that will result in a readout of 3.2% faster than your actual speed.

Another difference is the slightly lower Load Index of the Hakka's. The 20' and 21' Pirelli's are rated at 116, while the 22' Pirelli's and the 20' Hakka's are rated at 115, neither with the XL designation found on the two smaller Pirelli's. Even at 115, both of the latter are designed to handle a GVWR of 10,716 pounds, or 2,184 pounds more than the R1T's 8,532 GVWR. I'd never drop in Load Index without a professional weighing in, but again, these are the same as the 22' Pirelli's.

I'm awaiting clarification from Rivian CS regarding the Load Index rating minimums for their vehicles. If anyone (@Iwantatesla?) has a pic of the tire card on the Driver's door pillar, that would be helpful to see. I'm guessing here, but I think the extra 308 lbs. of GVWR provided by the 116 Load Ratings of the 20's and 21's may have to do with the potential stress of off-roading, whereas the 22's aren't intended for that. I know I'm likely sticking to relatively smooth surfaces with any Winter tires, ice chunks and crappy pavement not withstanding.

Given that the width of these true Winter tires are the same as the Pirelli variant, side clearance wouldn't be an issue. Given the slightly lower height, ground clearance is a little more than a half-inch shorter, but there's also that same amount of additional space for clearance up inside the fender well, should snow start to build up.

The Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV tire is non-studded, and Load and Speed rated at 115R (good to 106 mph). Their new Hakkapeliitta 10 SUV tire is rated at 115T (good to 118 mph), which might be a bit of overkill for a studded tire. Their Hakka 9 SUV studded comes in 275/55 R20's rated as 117T with the XL designation, giving a max load rating of 2833 lbs, or GVWR of 11,332, and up to 118 mph. That said, the height shrinkage magnifies the speedo differences, while also losing a minimal amount of ground clearance.

The good news for those opting for the 22' Rivian Sport Wheels is that Nokia makes the Hakka 9 studded tires in 275/50 R 22 115T XL, an exact match of the Pirelli tires on the Rivian. If studded tires are needed, this would make for an outstanding setup! That non-forged wheel with low-profile tires may be worrisome, if you live where the roads get super beat-up and large fenderbergs routinely fall from the semis in front of you.

The dedicated Winter tread patterns and rubber compounds in all of the Hakka's are really tough to beat for snow and icy conditions, although the studs of the 9's and 10's are tough on the roadways.

https://www.nokiantires.com/snow-winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-10-suv/

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=275-65r20-275-60r20

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?gclid=Cj0KCQiA_8OPBhDtARIsAKQu0gZIxlQXn20PnQxCl2wCA7X5FCZejbo0dJm7zaMXl0eJG352OjmUvWgaAs7qEALw_wcB&techid=35&ef_id=Cj0KCQiA_8OPBhDtARIsAKQu0gZIxlQXn20PnQxCl2wCA7X5FCZejbo0dJm7zaMXl0eJG352OjmUvWgaAs7qEALw_wcB:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!354820920365!p!!g!!load index&gclsrc=aw.ds
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...owner-first-impressions-video.3175/post-86336

That sticker?
Sponsored