Threads
Reaction score
Website
phrogz.net
Vehicles
'66 Ford Jeep, '01 SLK 32AMG, '10 Wrangler, '19 Q7
Occupation
Autonomous Driving Software
Four+ years ago CleanTechnica posted an article showing some great graphs from some great data garnered by ABRP on Tesla performance at different speeds and temperatures. It includes the following two graphs, showing that the ideal speed--to get maximum range--for the Model S100 is about 35 MPH, and for the Model X it's around 40 MPH.

Rivian R1T R1S Best speed for maximum range in R1T? model_s100_range_temp_imperial_grande
Rivian R1T R1S Best speed for maximum range in R1T? model_x100_range_temp_imperial_grande

I love mining data. Does anyone (a) have any idea how we could tap (or gather) some similar data for our own community, and (b) have any evidence or even a guess what the ideal maximum-range speed is for the R1T?
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

The best ranges I have observed happened in the 55-60mph range but I have never driven long distances below 50mph.

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
In my time with my R1S, the ideal range appears when I drive 45-55 mph and the temp range is 60-72 degrees. As I live on the coast those temps are doable. Driving that slow is painful, so not doable to me.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Slower is definitely better. I'd think slower than Model X would be likely because Rivian is even less aerodynamic. Towing my trailer, 45 was definitely quite a bit better than 55.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
We're going to need Rivian to provide us access to the data through some sort of application. A standard method of collection would at least give us a fighting chance. Too bad we don't have an ODB-II connector with some useful parameters. That's been great for doing various performance tuning and analysis on my ICE cars.

I'm guessing that when in Converse mode on the highway, your best bet is to go as slow as you can tolerate and still be safe.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Just keep it floored for the first 310 miles then let it coast for another 10 or 20.

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
I'm still really surprised someone hasn't done this. This was a very common thing to do when Teslas were newer. And one of these really large battery pack vehicles should do very well with the AC off at like 30-40 mph in conserve mode.

webfootdawg

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5, A4
Clubs

Carson speed.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I'm still really surprised someone hasn't done this. This was a very common thing to do when Teslas were newer. And one of these really large battery pack vehicles should do very well with the AC off at like 30-40 mph in conserve mode.
Maybe because it doesn’t really matter anymore? Anyone in an EV can go coast to coast without any issues these days. Early on with Teslas it was a challenge to road trip.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

My plan was to buy a wolf in sheep's clothing. An innocent looking R1S with 835HP. Looks like I'll be pottering around at 40mph. Not a very good look for a wolf. That should finally make everyone in my family happy:confused:
I use my 835 horsepower to get up to 25 mph, which is the maximum you can go on most of the roads around me. It gets up to 25 mph real quick though. 😆

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Four+ years ago CleanTechnica posted an article showing some great graphs from some great data garnered by ABRP on Tesla performance at different speeds and temperatures. It includes the following two graphs, showing that the ideal speed--to get maximum range--for the Model S100 is about 35 MPH, and for the Model X it's around 40 MPH.

model_s100_range_temp_imperial_grande.png
model_x100_range_temp_imperial_grande.png

I love mining data. Does anyone (a) have any idea how we could tap (or gather) some similar data for our own community, and (b) have any evidence or even a guess what the ideal maximum-range speed is for the R1T?
The Model X will be a closer approximation of the Rivian. It would appear that we can expect at least a 25% reduction in range at 80 mph, versus 60 mph.
Now, the question: will the trip travel time be less if you drive at 80 mph, or at 60 mph (and spend less time charging)? It may depend on the availability and quality of the chargers along the way.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Generally you can charge at speeds much greater than you can drive so the general conclusion is go fast, charge faster.

However if you can't make it between DCFS you'll have to go slower. Ice vehicles generally get the best mpg at 45. That's the least wind resistance for being in the most efficient gear. However some cars like my Audi has 8 gears so I think that number is higher actually. EVs generally don't have a transmission or optimal torque speed though.