First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
it's a great car for her; mostly a walmart runner or to take the 130 pound dog to the vet. but oil changes are not free.
250-300 for regular and 500-750 when any other PMs need to be done? That's about what my Audi S car costs which is where I'm getting the numbers from.
Sponsored

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

I love my truck and use it some for farm work (limited heavy towing and hauling seed corn, etc in the bed), but I have the same post warranty fears. I now have 44,200 miles on it and just got it back after its 8th service visit in 14 months. Just because I'm lazy had them swap the wipers while they had it....$104.18. Made me wonder what the post warranty trips are going to cost. My tonneau still doesn't work. 🫤
Ouch, and here I felt robbed when I bought my blades at Costco and they were $6 off the next month.
Also I lazily left them in the front for a few months before spending the 2 minutes to swap them out.

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
I had wiper blades changed once at the Audi dealer for a stupid price. They also tried to charge a $15 per blade “environmental disposal fee”.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
LOL My (former) M3 would like a word.

I read these posts and am reminded that many people here have not recently owned a German car out of warranty, because they are smart and value their sanity.
My favorite (true) client story back in the day. Newly single lady, who never, ever serviced a car in her life, had her engine overheating light come on. It was a BMW X5 (if I remember correctly) and literally two months out the free dealer-paid service.

She stopped at an auto store and put several quarts of oil in her radiator system, followed by a gallon of windshield wiper fluid in the oil intake. The bill to fix it was astronomical and it was everyone else's fault.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I have been very impressed with my truck so far it can tow all my trailers from my dump trailer loaded with 4 tons of gravel, to my flatbed trailer hauling my bobcat track loader around. I usually stay around town or 30min away in a neighboring city. I get tons of attention with people who can’t believe what they are seeing and then when I tell them they are surprised again that it can haul a Bobcat. 😂 I would have liked to have bought this truck over 20 years ago when I got my first truck. I have owned 6 trucks before this one and just are not even worth comparing. From Tundra’s to F-250s I couldn’t go back to a regular gasoline truck after owning my R-1T . Now that being said I’m not looking forward to the day the warranty is gone and something breaks, I may not be able to write such a positive review.

IMG_4812.jpeg

Resized_20230828_095756.jpeg

IMG_4367.jpeg

IMG_3951.jpeg
I hear you on future service costs, on the other hand:
  • No oil/filter changes
  • No radiator flush/refill/hose replacement
  • No engine air filter changes
  • No timing belt/chain
  • No fuel filter
  • Less brake pad wear (regenerative braking)
  • No transmission, no transmission fluid
  • No spark plugs/changes
  • No catalytic converter to be sawed off...

Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I love my truck and use it some for farm work (limited heavy towing and hauling seed corn, etc in the bed), but I have the same post warranty fears. I now have 44,200 miles on it and just got it back after its 8th service visit in 14 months. Just because I'm lazy had them swap the wipers while they had it....$104.18. Made me wonder what the post warranty trips are going to cost. My tonneau still doesn't work. 🫤
I also have concerns about when the warranty ends. I’m averaging a major issue about every two or three months. I estimate the warranty has saved me close to $40k so far. 🫣

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
250-300 for regular and 500-750 when any other PMs need to be done? That's about what my Audi S car costs which is where I'm getting the numbers from.
$475 regular, but two free sodas.

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

• No oil/filter changes
  • No timing belt/chain
  • No fuel filter
  • No spark plugs/changes
Yeah, but if you have to replace the wiring harness (because someone routed it where it would wear and sustain damage) - that could surpass all of those charges put together.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Yeah, but if you have to replace the wiring harness (because someone routed it where it would wear and sustain damage) - that could surpass all of those charges put together.
I figure things like that will show up under warranty...and as warranties go, Rivian is pretty good.

Mikebike97

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Highlander, Leaf
Occupation
Qa
Clubs

Has anyone looked into this extended warranty. There is company doing ev insurance called: x care ev protection,
Seems to be about 5k to extend 4 more years if assume 15k per year.

Sponsored

Kraphtymac

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Adventure
Clubs

I have been very impressed with my truck so far it can tow all my trailers from my dump trailer loaded with 4 tons of gravel, to my flatbed trailer hauling my bobcat track loader around. I usually stay around town or 30min away in a neighboring city. I get tons of attention with people who can’t believe what they are seeing and then when I tell them they are surprised again that it can haul a Bobcat. 😂 I would have liked to have bought this truck over 20 years ago when I got my first truck. I have owned 6 trucks before this one and just are not even worth comparing. From Tundra’s to F-250s I couldn’t go back to a regular gasoline truck after owning my R-1T . Now that being said I’m not looking forward to the day the warranty is gone and something breaks, I may not be able to write such a positive review.

IMG_4812.jpeg

Resized_20230828_095756.jpeg

IMG_4367.jpeg

IMG_3951.jpeg
Interesting.
I just got an R1T as a loaner while my R1S is in the shop…. And after trying to use it to haul lumber and haul a brush hog for mowing a sunflower field…. I decided this “truck” would be an awful option if you actually need a truck.
Range under load is gripe one.
Bed that is too short and not deep enough is gripe two.
Too many buttons that must be manipulated to open and close bed/gear tunnel was gripe 3.
I guess to each their own.

IGR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
I make things
Clubs

• No oil/filter changes
  • No timing belt/chain
  • No fuel filter
  • No spark plugs/changes
I asked about scheduled maintenance when took delivery and I was told besides tire rotation there will be a required coolant flush (for batteries I presume), but they haven't worked out the time interval yet.

Also it still has a gear oil, that would need to be changed at some point in time. Probably with same interval as differential or transfer case in a 4x4 equivalent vehicle. But this is purely my speculation and not confirmed by service center.

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
Interesting.
I just got an R1T as a loaner while my R1S is in the shop…. And after trying to use it to haul lumber and haul a brush hog for mowing a sunflower field…. I decided this “truck” would be an awful option if you actually need a truck.
Range under load is gripe one.
Bed that is too short and not deep enough is gripe two.
Too many buttons that must be manipulated to open and close bed/gear tunnel was gripe 3.
I guess to each their own.
Works fine for me. In over 7k miles, the only rear seat occupant (ever) has been my Great Pyrenees, so I don't need more "indoors" in the form of an R1S...but...

I haul "stuff" like what you describe the same way that you would in your R1S---on a trailer.
I doubt that my range under load is any worse than yours would be in your R1S, and is a whole lot better than my friend's Lightning when he is empty.

I've read that the majority of R1T buyers have never owned a truck before. I'm definitely not in that crowd, having driven nothing but trucks since the early 90's, but the bed isn't that much "worse" than any of the Tundras with 5-1/2' beds in the models with a rear seat, and it hauls 4x8 sheets just fine with the tailgate down (I put 25 sheets of 5/8" siding in there on top of my Tractor Supply stall mat in one trip and was able to close the tonneau). I couldn't do that in any of my Tundras without having a LOT more overhang due to the space occupied by the "container" for the ReTrax bed lid.

Too many buttons? The choice of one push on a nearby button or a screen-mounted button to open either tailgate or gear tunnel is "too many"? ...and no amount of "button pushing" will close either of those. It couldn't be much simpler (unless someone develops a brain-wave link where all you have to do is "think" about it.)

If button pushing is too much, you can always tell Alexa to open the tailgate (and open or close the hood).

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired
Works fine for me. In over 7k miles, the only rear seat occupant (ever) has been my Great Pyrenees, so I don't need more "indoors" in the form of an R1S...but...

I haul "stuff" like what you describe the same way that you would in your R1S---on a trailer.
I doubt that my range under load is any worse than yours would be in your R1S, and is a whole lot better than my friend's Lightning when he is empty.

I've read that the majority of R1T buyers have never owned a truck before. I'm definitely not in that crowd, having driven nothing but trucks since the early 90's, but the bed isn't that much "worse" than any of the Tundras with 5-1/2' beds in the models with a rear seat, and it hauls 4x8 sheets just fine with the tailgate down (I put 25 sheets of 5/8" siding in there on top of my Tractor Supply stall mat in one trip and was able to close the tonneau). I couldn't do that in any of my Tundras without having a LOT more overhang due to the space occupied by the "container" for the ReTrax bed lid.

Too many buttons? The choice of one push on a nearby button or a screen-mounted button to open either tailgate or gear tunnel is "too many"? ...and no amount of "button pushing" will close either of those. It couldn't be much simpler (unless someone develops a brain-wave link where all you have to do is "think" about it.)

If button pushing is too much, you can always tell Alexa to open the tailgate (and open or close the hood).

As one of the silent majority of R1T owners where this is my first pickup truck in 55 years of driving and buying/selling more cars than I can count I must admit I love it and what took me so long? It’s the perfect size as it fits in my garage, I can haul things like 5 people with all their golf clubs and luggage and still freak them out doing 0 - 60 in 3 seconds. I could never imagine anything else going forward. As far as pushing buttons there is a learning curve but not an issue as it eventually becomes second nature. All in all the R1T is currently the state of the art when it comes to modern vehicles, ICE, EV or otherwise. I’m still not convinced EVs will save the planet but it sure is fun trying!

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I had wiper blades changed once at the Audi dealer for a stupid price. They also tried to charge a $15 per blade “environmental disposal fee”.
Ten years I was charged $125 for my Audi A6 wiper blades to be changed (once). When my jaw dropped the service advisor said his BMW 5 series was twice that. It didn't make me feel any better. That helped manage future expectations for Audi service and what it would cost. I had a couple problems under warranty, another shortly after it was out of warranty, but traded it away for another brand before that problem became persistent.
Sponsored