Sponsored

Bed Rack options from Xtrusion Overland

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

I unbolted my XO rack and RTT assembly and hoisted it this weekend. There are 3 threaded bolts per column - 12 total. Took about 20 minutes to unbolt - not exactly quick release but pretty easy. Here is the hoisted assembly

IMG_6945.jpeg
IMG_6949.jpeg
IMG_6948.jpeg
IMG_6950.jpeg
How much trouble do you think you'll have getting everything lined back up when you want to reattach it? Do you think you'll be much faster detaching it a second time? I have the same electric lifter and I'm debating how often I'll just lift off my RTT vs the whole rack. I'm on week eight waiting for my order so I'll just have to plan vicariously through you.
Sponsored

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
How much trouble do you think you'll have getting everything lined back up when you want to reattach it? Do you think you'll be much faster detaching it a second time? I have the same electric lifter and I'm debating how often I'll just lift off my RTT vs the whole rack. I'm on week eight waiting for my order so I'll just have to plan vicariously through you.
great questions! Yes - I could unbolt/remove quicker next time. I used a conventional Allen key…need to find a smaller 3/16” Allen with a shorter leg. The angle of the columns makes getting your Allen key into the bolt head difficult for much more than a 1/4 turn at a time…and not enough clearance for a ratchet.

I haven’t tried to re-install yet but think it should be easy. Once you park truck underneath, you can push the assembly around until just before it makes contact with the bed rail. It shouldn’t be too difficult to align and refasten into the drop-in nuts. Letting it hover just above the bedrail should make the assembly weightless for final adjustments. Sounds easy anyway!

I’m able to do all this solo… pleased with the setup.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

great questions! Yes - I could unbolt/remove quicker next time. I used a conventional Allen key…need to find a smaller 3/16” Allen with a shorter leg. The angle of the columns makes getting your Allen key into the bolt head difficult for much more than a 1/4 turn at a time…and not enough clearance for a ratchet.

I haven’t tried to re-install yet but think it should be easy. Once you park truck underneath, you can push the assembly around until just before it makes contact with the bed rail. It shouldn’t be too difficult to align and refasten into the drop-in nuts. Letting it hover just above the bedrail should make the assembly weightless for final adjustments. Sounds easy anyway!

Rivian R1T R1S Bed Rack options from Xtrusion Overland 1684203066014

Do you think something like this would fit?

Or do you need something even smaller like this?
Rivian R1T R1S Bed Rack options from Xtrusion Overland 1684203196336

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

I may try them both but suspect the smaller option is what you’ll need. Good find! Thanks for sharing.
If I find something that ratchets and still clears, I'll let you know.

Sponsored

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I unbolted my XO rack and RTT assembly and hoisted it this weekend. There are 3 threaded bolts per column - 12 total. Took about 20 minutes to unbolt - not exactly quick release but pretty easy. Here is the hoisted assembly

IMG_6945.jpeg
IMG_6949.jpeg
IMG_6948.jpeg
IMG_6950.jpeg
What are the three bolts? I thought it had a little slip-in insert that went into the accessory mount, but that only has two bolts... Where is the third one for the column?

If you used a wobble bit, could you use a power tool?
https://www.amazon.com/Pivoting-Magnetic-Swiveling-Screwdriver-Extender/dp/B0BC8DQ215
or even a flexible bit extension?
https://www.amazon.com/AUTOTOOLHOME-Flexible-Extension-Ratchet-Screwdriver/dp/B01M7N041K
(links for description, not specifically these products...)

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What are the three bolts? I thought it had a little slip-in insert that went into the accessory mount, but that only has two bolts... Where is the third one for the column?

If you used a wobble bit, could you use a power tool?
https://www.amazon.com/Pivoting-Magnetic-Swiveling-Screwdriver-Extender/dp/B0BC8DQ215
or even a flexible bit extension?
https://www.amazon.com/AUTOTOOLHOME-Flexible-Extension-Ratchet-Screwdriver/dp/B01M7N041K
(links for description, not specifically these products...)
…not a great photo but you can see each column has 3 hex bolts to mount to the bed rail track. The angle of the column makes access to the bolts challenging without specialwrench.

Rivian R1T R1S Bed Rack options from Xtrusion Overland IMG_6952

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
…not a great photo but you can see each column has 3 hex bolts to mount to the bed rail track. The angle of the column makes access to the bolts challenging without specialwrench.

IMG_6952.png
Oh, you left the rail on the bed, I get it now! Thanks for that!

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oh, you left the rail on the bed, I get it now! Thanks for that!
Yes... one of the rail fasteners is covered by the column base plate(s) so that you have to take the rack off before you can remove the rails. I've just decided to leave the rails on the truck when not using the rack system.

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (broken), 20"], 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Ball-end hex bits may allow you to drive from off-axis enough to get to the screws.

Sponsored

k3g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Robotics
Ball-end hex bits may allow you to drive from off-axis enough to get to the screws.
Save yourself future pain and never break torque or apply final torque with a ball-end. If you're access limited enough to need a ball-end, you're DEFINITELY access limited to extract a stripped fastener, or my favorite: A fastener with a sheared off ball-end now semi-permanently embedded in the fastener.

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (broken), 20"], 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Save yourself future pain and never break torque or apply final torque with a ball-end. If you're access limited enough to need a ball-end, you're DEFINITELY access limited to extract a stripped fastener, or my favorite: A fastener with a sheared off ball-end now semi-permanently embedded in the fastener.
If you are using an impact driver or a long lever bar, there is always the risk that you could break off the ball-end. Personally, I generally use L-wrenches and bits with hand-driving tools. I use non-ball-end Allen wrenches wherever possible, but I have never (in over three decades of use) broken a Bondhus hex wrench, even when the situation required using a ball-end for breaking loose a stubborn fastener. I don't think I've ever even twisted a Bondhus wrench (although I have twisted other brands). Your mileage may vary. But start with good tools, and there will be less heartache afterward.

kevincrain

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T, Launch Edition
Occupation
Mech. Eng.

IMG_6952.png
Can you share a picture of what's left behind when you remove the rack/RTT but leave the rails behind on the truck? Is it just the black rail, nothing else sticking up? If so, that would seem a lot nicer than another option I'm considering (Overland Ruff Rax) which if you take that rack off, I think there's a small stub of the rack mount sticking up which is welded to the rails on the truck bed.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can you share a picture of what's left behind when you remove the rack/RTT but leave the rails behind on the truck? Is it just the black rail, nothing else sticking up? If so, that would seem a lot nicer than another option I'm considering (Overland Ruff Rax) which if you take that rack off, I think there's a small stub of the rack mount sticking up which is welded to the rails on the truck bed.
Rivian R1T R1S Bed Rack options from Xtrusion Overland 66A18683-C5C2-442C-9C85-BFCBC9BBFF0E

Rivian R1T R1S Bed Rack options from Xtrusion Overland 27AB5393-82C2-4598-8586-C0C198EEFE4C