First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I have this, which I’ve had for almost 10 years. Still works. Operation is similar to the one on the truck.
Kobalt 120v & 12v Portable Air Compressor Inflator Tire Pump Nozzle Needles 120 PSI LED Display
https://a.co/d/e3pQMkA
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I am wondering if the emergency 12V battery jumper cables located next to the rear hitch could be used? Seems like they should work as high amp charging required to use them, so should work in the opposite direction too for high amp 12V power.
Back when 12 volt batteries were dying regularly, someone tried to read the voltage on the terminals and got 0v, implying there is a diode to prevent reverse current flow. Even a “dead” battery should produce a small but measurable voltage. But I don’t think there is a conclusive answer…..

twvette

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Well, hopefully this will qualify much more as an upgrade than a backup. Dual pump with some good features and if look close yes that is AC power and its rated at 900W so should easily be good on the 1500W inverter. Good flow specs at 90 PSI so should be much faster than the ones spec'ing at free flow. First test was very promising on our Tesla and the dual speed pump is quite also, but need real testing on bigger tires and planning to do separate video. The four tire MORR Flate setup also helps as they are more efficient as the tire valve stem is a limiting factor so get more flow, not to mention not loosing a bunch of compressed air with the non-sealed hose setup Rivian provides.
Rivian R1T R1S Backup Tire Air Portable Compressor Recommendations 0001

Rivian R1T R1S Backup Tire Air Portable Compressor Recommendations 0002

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2001 Ford Excursion, 1981 Jeep CJ7
Clubs

Todd,
Awesome to see you found MORRflate and that you found the TC-BL compressor. I'm embarking on the same exact journey. I have an engine driven York compressor (converted from A/C) on my jeep, and twin ARB on my Excursion and I am finding the Rivian single compressor just isn't cutting it with my MORRflate and ~48psi street pressure.

I recently stumbled on the TC-BL 110v compressor, but hasn't pulled the trigger yet. I'm very excited to hear what you think, as it seems to be a reasonable solution.

BTW, I love the MORRflate system, been using them for years, a good friend started the company.

Any updates on how the offbrand 110v compressor is working?

twvette

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Hey CJ,

Sorry late reply, was not getting notifications ...

Yeah, the MORRFlate system is very nice combined with the TC-BL pump. Just keeping my fingers crossed it lasts. I even reached out to MORRFlate and others to please consider making A/C versions of their nice pumps as several vehicles have good inverters and other uses like with an RV generator or even at home. So, I don't just use it with the Rivian. Used it a few times now even for 35x12.5-18's which is a lot more volume to fill plus needed 80 PSI in those for my diesel truck and it is still fast.

I am going to add a tee to the MOORFlate inlet side of manifold with ball valve to be able to manually deflate to atmosphere/adjust pressure down when everything is connected as I think that is a slight oversight on these 4 tire inflation systems. Also, helps to vent lines or pump too easier when done.

Just put together a full video review and testing results on this in another thread:
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...re-inflation-system-tire-pressures-etc.22319/

Sponsored

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2001 Ford Excursion, 1981 Jeep CJ7
Clubs

Hey, great news! Yea, a good compact AC-powered compressor really seems like a unicorn. I'm glad to hear this one is working well; I plan to give it a try.

The latest quad MORRflate system has a sliding collar (which I see in your video), so you can deflate while still hooked up, I thought. I have an older model with a ball valve which I use. Great if you overshoot your planned pressure.

Edit: after watching your video, I realize you are talking about the compressor. Makes sense. Thanks for the great video!

Happy adventuring!

Last edited:

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Not that I would recommend it for fully inflating a tire, but I have a small handheld Ryobi (the kind for sports equipment, etc) I use for my bikes. Not good for offroading, but I've used it for 4 years now to do winter inflation adjustment (4-5 PSI on all fours) on 3 vehicles and for the occasional mid road trip adjustment. It does get warm, but the time it takes to move from wheel to wheel appears to be enough time to let it cool.

Very compact and I store that, battery, charger, and a high speed Ryobi inflator (water toys, air mattress, etc) under the rear seat storage. Super convenient and will get you out of a small emergency.

There is only one time I didn't use it and opted for the built in compressor (airing down/up after Rock crawling).

I swap the battery with one in the garage on a charger (and use for other Ryobi equipment) every few months.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Not that I would recommend it for fully inflating a tire, but I have a small handheld Ryobi (the kind for sports equipment, etc) I use for my bikes. Not good for offroading, but I've used it for 4 years now to do winter inflation adjustment (4-5 PSI on all fours) on 3 vehicles and for the occasional mid road trip adjustment. It does get warm, but the time it takes to move from wheel to wheel appears to be enough time to let it cool.

Very compact and I store that, battery, charger, and a high speed Ryobi inflator (water toys, air mattress, etc) under the rear seat storage. Super convenient and will get you out of a small emergency.

There is only one time I didn't use it and opted for the built in compressor (airing down/up after Rock crawling).

I swap the battery with one in the garage on a charger (and use for other Ryobi equipment) every few months.
I air up 35" tires(from roughly 13psi back to 30psi for highway) on a Jeep with a couple of 20v Dewalt (two so I can do two at once to cut down time) portable inflators. Works well and the second is also a backup if I fry one of them.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
I'm not particularly proud of this setup but I carry _two_ of these small digital compressors for airing up my GX470: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W1W2V9M/. I power both of them from a Jackery 240 though obviously you could use the Rivian's power instead.

(For airing down I use Staun's deflators https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QBPBLWY and Skog Chuck Mate Speed Clips https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09LZYPCNW.)

Having two inflators running at the same time cuts the inflate time in half, reduces the runtime (these compressors have a light duty cycle), and gives me a backup.

The digital cutoff is also dead nuts accurate and so convenient I sometimes use it at home to top off / reset my vehicles. It's the main reason I use these two "toy" compressors rather than a much more capable lashup. After running a trail I hook them up to one side, start, then sit quietly inside until the noise stops (these compressors are not noisy!). Repeat for other side then drive home.
Sponsored