Sponsored

Are these commonly reported issues / problems still a thing?

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Early days still as far as responses, but it seems like there has been improvement in some of the hardware issues (that was mostly what I intended to focus on here, software is another thing entirely). There just seemed to be a lot of "physical" issues that would blow up for a week or month or whatever that have seemed to vanish, or not be talked about nearly as much - I was curious if that was just "silent acceptance" or if they have generally just be resolved by Rivian through continuous improvement on the line. It seems like with the roof glass - maybe so.
Sponsored

Wallace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Phone key: generally has worked, except for once. It unlocked the door, but then refused to let me drive. Had to call service and get walked through rebooting the car, deleting the app on my phone etc to get going again.

Deleted member 7086

Still have the following problems which Rivian SC has not been able to solve.

1. Gear lash (half shaft /spline connections).
2. Air shocks rattle at low speed.
3. AC/Heater temperature settings are erratic.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I would be interested to know if panel gaps are better for 2023 builds (I look at the photos on carsandbids and when they get 2023s that will help).
Also wind noise - there were a couple of fixes, the triangle piece of glass and the appliqué on the roof. Have these eliminated/mitigated the issues?

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
While I know the threads still exist, I can't say I have seen them bubbling up to the top of the list recently so I wanted to get a "checkpoint" on some of the common issues that seemed to be "hot" for a week, or a month, or maybe several months, to get a gauge on just how common the still are...

Maybe this should be a poll? but for now I'm just asking for comments and of there are missing things I can amend this list, so are Rivian owners still "commonly" experiencing any of the following things:

• Ticking/Tocking at low speed start/stop
  • Underbody screws missing/falling out and/or underbody panels falling off
  • Freakishly "easy" glass breaks
  • Uneven suspension (passenger side lower/higher)
  • What else?
I didn't include tonneau covers as those have just been eliminated entirely for new vehicles.
I've got none of this. I will say the front windscreen is thin glass. I got a small pit FROM A STOP. The guy infront of me kicked up a pebble from a stop and it marked the front windscreen. No bullseye or anything but still, really?

Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I would be interested to know if panel gaps are better for 2023 builds (I look at the photos on carsandbids and when they get 2023s that will help).
Also wind noise - there were a couple of fixes, the triangle piece of glass and the appliqué on the roof. Have these eliminated/mitigated the issues?
My wind noise is good. Nothing excessive. If you're thinking it will be german levels of NVH, you might be disappointed. It's not terribly quiet at highway speeds but nothing crazy.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Only can speak for myself:

• Ticking/Tocking at low speed start/stop: I have not noticed this
  • Underbody screws missing/falling out and/or underbody panels falling off: Not so far
  • Freakishly "easy" glass breaks: Roof? It is Polycarbonate on mine. Not sure when that happened. No front window rock cracks yet...But this is New Mexico and I think the state flag is changing to a broken window design to honor it as our official symbol.
  • What else? I don't know. only 1200 miles in. No issues. One soft reboot as radio was flakey. I haven't had an OTA update, so waiting on that to see if any issues. Only real issue for me is I want a freaking cover for the back :)
How can you tell if your roof is poly or glass?

Milermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I mentioned the wind noise from the corner windows when I had it in for another service call. They replaced a part on driver and passenger side - I don't know what - and the wind noise is gone.

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I mentioned the wind noise from the corner windows when I had it in for another service call. They replaced a part on driver and passenger side - I don't know what - and the wind noise is gone.
Recent VIN or older?

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8
The tick/tocking was fixed on mine when they added some non-metalic bushings in the suspension at all 4 corners, a month ago SC said it was a new "fix" beyond it needs more lube solution. So if anyone has the tick and tock at starts/stops slow speeds, take it in again.

Sponsored

inconceivable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

rkalbiar

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T , 2024 Rivian R1S
I dunno about glass. Hopefully I don't find out!
All else, yes.

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

So, the low speed tock looks like it’s still a thing. I started this thread recently: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/is-the-‘low-speed-tock’-still-a-thing.12173/

I’m encouraged to hear that they might have a fix. I’m going in to the SC at the end of the month, so I’ll update if this non-metallic bushing is done to my truck too.
I would be interested to see how that trend shakes out - if that ~70/30 spread trends down with higher VINs as more people respond

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
The tick/tocking was fixed on mine when they added some non-metalic bushings in the suspension at all 4 corners, a month ago SC said it was a new "fix" beyond it needs more lube solution. So if anyone has the tick and tock at starts/stops slow speeds, take it in again.
I really want to know more about these non-metalic bushings. Mine makes a thumping type noise on bigger impacts, which to me sounds like bushings or loose bearings. If they have actually changed material on some bushings, that very well could be the real deal solution to my noises.
Sponsored