Sponsored

Is the ‘low speed tock’ still a thing?

Have you had to deal with the ‘low speed tock’ issue?

• Total voters

inconceivable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
So unfortunately after ~1500 miles I have developed the dreaded ‘tock’. My VIN in 138xx and was trying to figure out if this issues continues to be prevalent on new builds or whether Rivian has improved something over time and have made this a non issue.

i have an appointment for service, but have low expectations on an actual fix as I haven’t yet heard of a permanent fix for this problem. Actually I’ve mostly heard disappointing stories of rivian denying its a problem and just calling it ‘normal’. @branden mentioned this in a recent video.

All of this has made me wonder whether it’s just a set of older vehicles that develop this issue which is why rivian isn’t prioritizing a fix OR if it continues to be a problem and they’re just unfortunately burying their head in the sand a bit here.

What have you been experiencing?
Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Mines more of a clink/clunk now. I think I need new half shafts/CV joints, or front motor drive unit at this point. I was fine with the mild tick/tock early on, and all 3 I’ve driven have done it. But pretty sure the main issue is using an off the shelf Bosch motor with a clean sheet vehicle. I think it’s why Rivian will now be building its own motors in addition to it being more cost effective for them.

CTRT1

First Name
Hardie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 1500 crew cab Sport
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vin 1000* I had it and at an unrelated service center visit I mentioned it and they replaced the half shafts. About 2k miles later and no noises since.

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
What is the low speed tock?

OP
OP

inconceivable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Sponsored

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Vin 1000* I had it and at an unrelated service center visit I mentioned it and they replaced the half shafts. About 2k miles later and no noises since.
They prob realized this was going to be an issue with a lot of trucks and instead of replacing a bunch of half shafts, it’s now considered normal.

Deleted member 7086

VIN 4000. Had my R1T in the SC twice for this. Was informed it was normal “gear lash” and absent evidence of physical damage the splines/half shafts would not be replaced. Sound first appeared around 2000 miles. I now have 5000 miles on the vehicle. First repair was to repack the lube, replace and retighten the bolts on the front half shafts. 150 miles later the “gear lash” was worse. Scheduled another SC visit but it took a couple of months to get in. This time same repair but to both front and rear drive lines. So far the gear lash seems to be less but I suspect there is a temperature component to the problem. Since the most recent repair we have had lows in the single digits and highs in the low thirty’s. It has been my experience lube thickens under those conditions and much like adding STP to a tired ICE the noise would be reduced. My concern is that when Spring returns and temperatures rise the problem will return. Hopefully I am wrong. The gear lash is more than just a sound there is a definite gap between the teeth probably where the splines and half shafts join. It feels much like a worn universal joint on a traditional ICE driveshaft.

Florida Boy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX300h, Toyota Tacoma
My R1T is VIN 34xx and it also developed the tock at perhaps 1000 miles into ownership. I took it to the SF SC in Nov to address that and one or two other minor issues. The tech said he'd lubricate bushings in the half shaft and that might help. I was very skeptical, but it actually solved the problem. Very, very minor noise now, but you really have to listen.

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Sponsored

Markbolick

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Coldworking glass tool supplier
My 14500 VIN developed the tocking at around 1500 miles. Took to SC and the replaced the front drive unit. 1500 miles later and no noise.

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
My vin 8k developed it around 1k miles. Sc greased up the shafts. Tocking went away, came back at 4k miles. 2nd sc visit, tech said its normal no repairs approved. I hope a long term fix/recall comes out.

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
I just got the “tocking” noise from the rear at 17,000 miles. Was there ever a definitive fix from Rivian?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I just got the “tocking” noise from the rear at 17,000 miles. Was there ever a definitive fix from Rivian?
Nope.

OP
OP

inconceivable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Unclear. There was a recent post mentioning a new fix. Unclear yet if this is being applied to everyone nor how long the fix lasts for. I’m bringing my truck in at the end of the month, so I’ll reply back with what happens. 🤞
Sponsored