Sponsored

Apple no longer building an electric car.

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Curious for Apple to leave something they've invested billions of dollars into. I wonder if an aquisition (Lucid or Rivian) is something they're looking into

OP
OP
VC_Rivian

VC_Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mitsubishi 3000GT Spyder
Occupation
Worker
Curious for Apple to leave something they've invested billions of dollars into. I wonder if an aquisition (Lucid or Rivian) is something they're looking into
Yeah would make sense for Apple with their resources.

Sponsored

1T2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T3YR1T
Clubs

let's wait and see. I might be correct

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Apple isn’t looking to acquisitions in the car space. Same article points out they’re diverting those resources into generative AI

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

building a car from scratch never really made sense for Apple imo. buying Rivian makes a lot of sense to me. similar spirit would make appear to be a natural fit. Rivian needs the cash, Apple jump starts into the automotive industry and all that time and resource Apple spent already isn't a complete waste. Rivian is awesome at h/w (and they have a factory, manufacturing capability), Apple is awesome at s/w, h/w, and logistics to help Rivian across the board. and us Rivian owners can take a breath that Rivian has cash to keep growing. win-win-win.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Apple isn’t looking to acquisitions in the car space. Same article points out they’re diverting those resources into generative AI
Maybe they can use AI generate a good looking truck for Tesla.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
They were never planning to manufacture the vehicle themselves but always looked at partnerships with existing manufacturing companies. It's their model for all of their hardware, of course, so sure, that's what they would do for a car, right? There were reports of them talking to at least Hyundai-Kia and VW about having them build the vehicle for Apple. Foxconn has also started getting into vehicle manufacturing and is obviously well-known to Apple. But it's just a whole different ballgame compared to phones, tablets, laptops, etc.

As far as acquiring another company goes, I think Rivian is more likely to be acquired by Amazon than Apple, not just because of their existing relationship but also because it feels like a better fit for Amazon anyway.

Reactions: MGA

webfootdawg

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5, A4
Clubs

Will it be the R2 or R3 that doesn't have any dash displays?
Rivian R1T R1S Apple no longer building an electric car. apple-vision-pro-cnnu-004

Florida Panhandler

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Happy camper
Clubs

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
building a car from scratch never really made sense for Apple imo. buying Rivian makes a lot of sense to me. similar spirit would make appear to be a natural fit. Rivian needs the cash, Apple jump starts into the automotive industry and all that time and resource Apple spent already isn't a complete waste. Rivian is awesome at h/w (and they have a factory, manufacturing capability), Apple is awesome at s/w, h/w, and logistics to help Rivian across the board. and us Rivian owners can take a breath that Rivian has cash to keep growing. win-win-win.
But what about those of us who shit on Apple products because they suck but love our Rivians?
Sponsored