First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Yet you finished by saying, "But, by and large, it's beyond your control" which is not correct unless refuse to give up Apple, Google, Amazon, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, et. al.
And hold no property... keep all your money under a mattress. Squat completely off-grid on remote public lands, or urbon underground passages. Yes, some people actually do live like this. But, guaranteed none of them own a Rivian or have a reservation for one.
Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I absolutely refuse to let Amazon have my data. Which is too bad, I'd love a useful voice assistant in my vehicle, but not when it's powered by Amazon. I wish Rivian let me 100% disable Alexa the way Ford does in my Mach-E.

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Like the discussion in this thread!

I don't have a "defeatist attitude", I just want to live my life without being some "extremist privacy nutbag".
The extremist privacy nutbags want you to be able to live your life without concern, too. That's what they're fighting for. You can continue living your life, but also agree that their concerns are valid and even support their cause without becoming one yourself!

So you live thinking someone or some group is out there establishing “patterns of life” on you? Do you alter when you turn lights on and off at home, or which direction you drive to work and what times you leave? I mean, someone could be sitting across the street from your house right now gathering Intel on your daily routine!
As security experts would say, "it's not about you" ... even if I personally don't have anything critical to say about the government, I can recognize that free speech is an important right to have in society. Even if I personally have 'nothing to hide', I can recognize that privacy is an important right to preserve, don't want to live in a world where corporations and the government see and know everything.

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

The extremist privacy nutbags want you to be able to live your life without concern, too. That's what they're fighting for. You can continue living your life, but also agree that their concerns are valid and even support their cause without becoming one yourself!

As security experts would say, "it's not about you" ... even if I personally don't have anything critical to say about the government, I can recognize that free speech is an important right to have in society. Even if I personally have 'nothing to hide', I can recognize that privacy is an important right to preserve, don't want to live in a world where corporations and the government see and know everything.
Again, the government isn't the only threat vector, and as far as *BigTech*, like they say, if you are not paying for the service, then YOU ARE THE SERVICE.

However, #sheeple would rather choose the *blue pill*. ;-)

jimmyb2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Express AWD, Lexus RX450h, Rivian R1S

Agree, 100%.

We often hear people ask the question, "I have nothing to hide. Why should I care about my privacy?"

Well, we all know what goes on in a bathroom, but we still close the door. That's because we want privacy, not secrecy!

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Again, the government isn't the only threat vector, and as far as *BigTech*, like they say, if you are not paying for the service, then YOU ARE THE SERVICE.

What you have to say is important, and I want to learn more about digital security. I know I'm not doing nearly what I should be in that regard typing this on a MacBook and using an iPhone. I have the Siri garbage voice prompts disabled and I 100% agree that the tracking companies are doing for "advertising purposes" is total and complete shit.

With that said you aren't going to get many takers on here by calling people "sheeple". I don't think many people really understand just how far information brokerage has gotten or just how well you can be tracked across your online activities. You'd be better leading with that sort of thing, instead of assuming everyone is an idiot for not agreeing with you.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

By using the functionality in your S or any other connected device you own, aren't you a part of the "sheeple" as well?

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

What you have to say is important, and I want to learn more about digital security. I know I'm not doing nearly what I should be in that regard typing this on a MacBook and using an iPhone. I have the Siri garbage voice prompts disabled and I 100% agree that the tracking companies are doing for "advertising purposes" is total and complete shit.

With that said you aren't going to get many takers on here by calling people "sheeple". I don't think many people really understand just how far information brokerage has gotten or just how well you can be tracked across your online activities. You'd be better leading with that sort of thing, instead of assuming everyone is an idiot for not agreeing with you.
Fair enough. Below are some links to educate yourself.

Sponsored

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Hard pass. Just think of all the camping trips and fun adventures you could have gone on during the time spent worrying about privacy and setting up your VPNs. At the end of the day, you and I have been hacked the same number of times...zero! *Please don't interpret this as an invitation to hack me! I am very boring and have nothing of value to my name beyond my truck :giggle:

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

By using the functionality in your S or any other connected device you own, aren't you a part of the "sheeple" as well?
Yes! I had MAJOR heartburn when at the 13th hour I find out there's no way to opt-out of the data collection consent clause of my R1S purchase agreement, but after waiting 27 months, they had me on the hook! SMH

Don't worry though, my wife and daughter (both Apple fangals) gave me enough grief after reading that data consent clause I had to sign and hearing my rants about Apple over the years. SMH

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Sheeple is such a worn out, passive aggressive insult. IMO, people who use the word sheeple these days, are in fact sheeple themselves just for using the word - they are following along with the crowd just using the word.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Yes! I had MAJOR heartburn when at the 13th hour I find out there's no way to opt-out of the data collection consent clause of my R1S purchase agreement, but after waiting 27 months, they had me on the hook! SMH

Don't worry though, my wife and daughter (both Apple fangals) gave me enough grief after reading that data consent clause I had to sign and hearing my rants about Apple over the years. SMH
I do agree with most of what you are saying, btw. I just don't think of myself as a sheeple and you shouldn't either;)
Sponsored