Sponsored

Anyone worried about privacy issues?

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Might be interesting to check out www.privacy4cars.com where they discuss what auto mfgs. themselves collect. You can enter your VIN to get an idea of what they collect.

Unfortunately, they do not have information on Rivian vehicles yet, but you can check on other more established mfgs.
Results for my 1971 Ford sedan point toward a lot of privacy protection.
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Hard pass. Just think of all the camping trips and fun adventures you could have gone on during the time spent worrying about privacy and setting up your VPNs. At the end of the day, you and I have been hacked the same number of times...zero! *Please don't interpret this as an invitation to hack me! I am very boring and have nothing of value to my name beyond my truck :giggle:
With all due respect you don’t know how many times you’ve been hacked or what information about you is being used and by whom. That’s sort of the point of all this. Maybe nothing has happened to you and never will but a glance of the news will show a data leak of private and secured information almost weekly from various companies.

An employee of mine, who’s not even in IT, routinely finds information about people in 5-10 minutes that you wouldn’t believe. Names, addresses, phone numbers, what they own, where they bank. All without breaking any laws. Even more scary The dark web contains millions of CC and SSN’s.

The main takeaway is there is no good reason these companies are collecting your private information and compromising your security. The reason they claim is to sell you things which in my view is already a violation of my privacy but some third party hacker might have even worse ideas.

Some hacker finds out when you and your wife leave for work and your house is empty when you come home or finds out your business trip schedule and pays your wife a visit when you’re out of town to do her harm. All of that can be avoided by these companies not seeing you as a walking wallet and respecting your privacy.

We can have the cool tech AND privacy but big tech will need to be put in check. I’m aware throwing out all your electronics and moving to Alaska is a bit extreme for most people, myself included, but there is a middle ground. I for one am going to look into that phone and possibly move from iOS. Also a VPN takes a couple minutes to setup and a good one like Nord only costs 100 bucks a year for 6 devices. Hardly a huge sacrifice.

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

Sheeple is such a worn out, passive aggressive insult. IMO, people who use the word sheeple these days, are in fact sheeple themselves just for using the word - they are following along with the crowd just using the word.
Yet extremist, tinfoil, nutbag, etc. you had no problem with. Speaks volumes.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Did anyone finally figure out what data our vehicles send to the mothership daily? Last Wednesday mine uploaded over 23gb!

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Yet extremist, tinfoil, nutbag, etc. you had no problem with. Speaks volumes.
Nice, failed attempt to redirect with a straw man move. You called out a GROUP of people here as sheeple with your assumptive blanket statement. Those other terms were responses to you by others, not me, yet you again assume I don't have a problem with what they said. You really are assuming a lot about people you don't know at all. THAT's what speaks volumes - your apparently endless assumptions about everyone.

Sponsored

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

Nice, failed attempt to redirect with a straw man move. You called out a GROUP of people here as sheeple with your assumptive blanket statement. Those other terms were responses to you by others, not me, yet you again assume I don't have a problem with what they said. You really are assuming a lot about people you don't know at all. THAT's what speaks volumes - your apparently endless assumptions about everyone.
No assumptions. My comment was the result of apathetic comments made by several specific individuals here where as yours was based upon only my specific usage of sheeple while ignoring the other *worn out, passive aggressive insults* that prompted my response.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Did anyone finally figure out what data our vehicles send to the mothership daily? Last Wednesday mine uploaded over 23gb!
No and we most likely will never know. Thing is we sort of need to send lots of data to Rivian about where we go and how we drive so they can fix and improve their own systems. Hopefully they do right by all of us and disassociate private information with personal identifiers in their system. There is a way for them to collect any information they'd like and still keep you safe and there is the other way where they can monetize that information.

Hopefully they are choosing the former not the latter.

jimmyb2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Express AWD, Lexus RX450h, Rivian R1S

I am with you. I also would like to know what and why my vehicle is communicating with various outside organizations. Your post about your vehicle having uploaded data really got me wondering; so I checked up on my R1S. I picked up my R1S on June 29, and you can clearly see in the pic below that it is communicating with a number of outside entities ever since I got it home.

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone worried about privacy issues? 1689172986039

As you can see the data exchange began on the very day I brought the vehicle home. What is most puzzling is why it is uploading data to Amazon, Spotify, Google, Facebook, and Nintendo. Of those, I never use any of them except Amazon, and I did not do anything on Amazon thru my vehicle. Very puzzling!

Anyone have answers/thoughts on this?

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I am much more worried about privacy with my cell phone than my car. And I still use my cell phone.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I am with you. I also would like to know what and why my vehicle is communicating with various outside organizations. Your post about your vehicle having uploaded data really got me wondering; so I checked up on my R1S. I picked up my R1S on June 29, and you can clearly see in the pic below that it is communicating with a number of outside entities ever since I got it home.

1689172986039.jpeg

As you can see the data exchange began on the very day I brought the vehicle home. What is most puzzling is why it is uploading data to Amazon, Spotify, Google, Facebook, and Nintendo. Of those, I never use any of them except Amazon, and I did not do anything on Amazon thru my vehicle. Very puzzling!

Note that you don't see Rivian in the list. Rivian uses AWS (Amazon Web Services) for their cloud computing platform - that traffic is Rivian data. Spotify is an app integrate by Rivian, not so surprising that it is generating traffic even if not in use. Facebook and Google are probably some secondary/background calls made by other apps or the core OS. Like Google, I seem to recall reading that Facebook provides some "non-Facebook" web services but I don't recall the details. That traffic would require deeper inspection with something like Wireshark to see what it is doing. Nintendo is a bit surprising....

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
What is most puzzling is why it is uploading data to Amazon, Spotify, Google, Facebook, and Nintendo. Of those, I never use any of them except Amazon, and I did not do anything on Amazon thru my vehicle. Very puzzling!

NOT using a service is still data that is very useful for modeling why and what some use a service or don't use service.

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

The problem with this whole discussion is similar the one happening around climate change; sure there are some best practices we can take as individuals like driving the right size bicycle for the task or using a vpn. That said, the vast majority of problems are caused by the enormous institutions that sell us cheap crap from China or trade in our data. If they are negligent, let alone malicious, (looking at you Chevron, Facebook) our efforts are moot.

Until the legislature pulls their head out, we will continue to be the dog being wagged by the corporate overlords who are obviously more important PEOPLE than we are. I’m not holding my breath and I just hope the planet makes it past this dangerous, potentially destructive moment we are in with the the power to destroy but not the will to be responsible with that power

OP
OP
HJP1

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired
This thread has really become interesting with some good knowledge out there, that being said can anyone give me some good tips on reading greens so I can make more putts?
Sponsored