Sponsored

Any tests done on Vampire battery drain?

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
I looked back on the video from last night and nothing else (other then that IR light every 2 hours or so) turned on inside the truck all night.

Still curious why the IR light turns on when nothing is detected around the truck, but maybe IR glare from my other camera is throwing things off or something.
Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Still curious why the IR light turns on when nothing is detected around the truck, but maybe IR glare from my other camera is throwing things off or something.
That could be the case. I know my Ring camera will occasionally turn on its IR illuminator when it grabs a snapshot even if there isn't motion detected.

thedole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Brewmeister
OK, I have a solid improvement since the update. I parked outdoors as before with weather between 45 and 65 for exactly 96 hours. I lost 9 kwH on version 2022.15.0. Before the update I lost 19 kwH for the exact same amount of time with very similar outdoor temps.

Edited: whoops typed wrong amount for first 96 hours loss.

Last edited:

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
OK, I have a solid improvement since the update. I parked outdoors as before with weather between 45 and 65 for exactly 96 hours. I lost 9 kwH on version 2022.15.0. Before the update I lost 19 kwH for the exact same amount of time with very similar outdoor temps.

Edited: whoops typed wrong amount for first 96 hours loss.
Thanks for sharing. I am guessing this is with Gear Guard off? Good first step by Rivian dropping from 4+ KWh. Let's hope they do more with upcoming updates. 2.25 KW a day is still a bit rich for me.

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
It's still a good amount of consumption, but WAY better. Good job Rivian.

I'd hope for more improvement, but that's well within the acceptable range for me.

Sponsored

thedole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Brewmeister
Thanks for sharing. I am guessing this is with Gear Guard off? Good first step by Rivian dropping from 4+ KWh. Let's hope they do more with upcoming updates. 2.25 KW a day is still a bit rich for me.
Yes sorry. I have never enabled gear guard, so all my quoted consumption numbers in all posts are with gear guard off.

Reactions: Max

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I've seen anecdotal reports of reduction in drain by 50% to 65% (reporting 24hr drain of 1% vs. 2.5% before), but nothing scientific. I think 1% or less per 24hr would be a decent enough end point if that is ultimately the best that can be done. More than some other vehicles, but that would only leave some pretty extreme cases where that would cause issues.
As long as you can just put it into shipping mode for those 30+ day parked trips, it's good enough for me too.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Have updated to 2022.15.0 software. Had a flight planned and decided to see/risk an airport run and 5 days parking. Charged to 99% for the drive in. Trip is ~80 miles. Drove in Conserve mode with cruise set at 74 mph, very little elevation change and summer weather. When parked at lot R1T had 68% battery charge. Returned 5 days later, battery was at 58%. Drove how I prefer on the return - all purpose mode and 80+ mph. Arrived home with 30%.
So - Vampire drain of 2% per day. Better than before the update. Not sure why driving aggressively on the return didn’t use more battery than the very conservative drive in.
Have not had any issues with the update and the garage door opener works great.
Excellent results

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

As long as you can just put it into shipping mode for those 30+ day parked trips, it's good enough for me too.
Ship mode doesn't help, see my tests above.

Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
FIrst, I've been on the latest update for about two weeks now.

I usually lose about 1% sometimes 2% per night. I checked my camera in the garage last night cause i saw someone else mention the interior lights come on. Sure enough, mine come on about 3 to 4 times a night for about 30 - 45 minutes. Mirrors stay folded and door handles stay in. The exterior cooling are running at this same time.
(Lights on)

(Lights off)

I usually turn off the AC when i get home but now I'm curious if that runs and the music plays during the same time the lights are one.

One other thing i noticed is the truck does a LOT of data uploading during that time. My guess is it's the nightly gear guard backup.

I have a wyze cam that will run off a battery so I'm going to hook that up tonight and see what happens inside the truck.
40GB is a bit much to not have a option to disable it, although I know a lot of people will like this feature. Mostly for those on data limited connections.

SunDevil2213

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Construction Cost Consultant
I took delivery on 5/11 and had to fly to San Francisco yesterday until Monday. Sad to be without my baby for several days. However, it's a great opportunity to test vampire drain as it's not going to be used for several days. I'm not quite to 24 hours yet between screen shots, but here's my unscientific test for 1 day. Basically 1% or 4 miles loss for 1 day.
Rivian R1T R1S Any tests done on Vampire battery drain? IMG_4151.PNG
Rivian R1T R1S Any tests done on Vampire battery drain? IMG_4159.PNG

Gear Guard is turned on, but is set to not be active while at home (and home location is set). This feature appears to work as I don't get any more Gear Guard videos while walking around it in my garage. Also, I have all doors locked and no one is home. Only one key card is still in my house (my phone key, other key card, and fob are all with me out of town), so no chance of a key randomly waking up the truck. I did notice when I was home that walking around my house (some parts of which are really close to my truck) causes it to wake up as the truck thinks I've walked up to it. This could be some of the cause for battery drain as well.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
40GB is a bit much to not have a option to disable it, although I know a lot of people will like this feature. Mostly for those on data limited connections.
It is not just a matter of size of data. User must have the option to stay offline because content of the video may be sensitive and as the owner of the content, user may not want to lose possession of it (on the cloud means someone else has access to it regardless of what security guarantees Amazon or Rivian may give).

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
It is not just a matter of size of data. User must have the option to stay offline because content of the video may be sensitive and as the owner of the content, user may not want to lose possession of it (on the cloud means someone else has access to it regardless of what security guarantees Amazon or Rivian may give).
While I don't disagree, the TOS/agreement you sign for the truck says they have access to pull any video they want, IE: You get in a wreck, they may pull video for crash analysis. So this is literally not just the "security risk" of your content getting loose, you have explicitly given them approval to view the content regardless.

I'm actually less concerned about the cloud getting "hacked" over my car videos, than the above.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I took delivery on 5/11 and had to fly to San Francisco yesterday until Monday. Sad to be without my baby for several days. However, it's a great opportunity to test vampire drain as it's not going to be used for several days. I'm not quite to 24 hours yet between screen shots, but here's my unscientific test for 1 day. Basically 1% or 4 miles loss for 1 day.
IMG_4151.PNG
IMG_4159.PNG

Gear Guard is turned on, but is set to not be active while at home (and home location is set). This feature appears to work as I don't get any more Gear Guard videos while walking around it in my garage. Also, I have all doors locked and no one is home. Only one key card is still in my house (my phone key, other key card, and fob are all with me out of town), so no chance of a key randomly waking up the truck. I did notice when I was home that walking around my house (some parts of which are really close to my truck) causes it to wake up as the truck thinks I've walked up to it. This could be some of the cause for battery drain as well.
@SunDevil2213 Any final numbers on battery drain during your trip away?
Sponsored