Sponsored

Any tests done on Vampire battery drain?

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Sorry I cannot help, but troll
wpid-wp4phone_20140403184302 copy.png
I guess this is why you need a service call after delivery:

Rivian R1T R1S Any tests done on Vampire battery drain? 1488647214_funny-swin

p.s. I love your last slide showing Glacier White doing tank turn in snow.
Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
<0.5% is definitely possible at least that was my observation on the Kia EV6.

Edit: with a 77kWh battery the drain was negligible.
Yeah my eTron is probably in the realm of 0.1%-0.2% (I've never been able to actually have a situation in which to measure it in a full 1% increment), but it's also not as connected as I like to call it a "half EV" (way fewer sensors/cameras, no phone as key, etc.). I think Polestar is around the 0.5% mark. But like I said, depending on the resources needed for them to reduce from 1% to 0.5%, they will have to do an ROI analysis on that.

Put it this way, if it were only 1% loss per 24hrs out of the gate, I'm not sure this thread would even exist, at least to nearly the same degree, other than people new to EVs making the observation. As was shown with actual data from Tesla users by @ajdelange , his experience was 4kwh/day, but the bulk of owners were in the 2kwh/day range, which is still over 2% on the Model X 90D and 1.5% applying that to the Rivian battery size. So there's your benchmark, and brings up the counterpoint, which is at what point is "vampire" drain too low? The goal is certainly not zero or anywhere near it. At some point you're cutting off your nose despite your face and degrading the battery.

Last edited:

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Had a 2020 model 3 in near zero degree C temperature overnight and lost nearly 6-10% (can't remember which it was) overnight for comparison.
Most EVs don't bother keeping the battery warm in cold weather. Allowing folks to set a departure time and just ensuring a safe operating temperature by that departure time makes far more sense.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
At some point you're cutting off your nose despite your face and degrading the battery.
It all depends on the nose. We don't know where that energy goes. It is only an assumption that it is to preserve the battery and corresponding to battery size.

Each owner should have the option to judge how much they like their nose.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

I guess, but while the reduction from 1% to 0.5% (I don't imagine anything less is achievable) is a noble pursuit, that's not going to change most people's lives. It becomes an issue of diminishing returns on the resources needed to achieve it.

That 0.5% equates to an additional $25/year in electricity for me, and that's assuming 365 days a year of drain, when in reality most days I'm driving so it's baked into the normal use.

And the 0.5% less per day isn't going to change the use for 99.9% of owners, so for a company with limited time/resources at some point they will call it a day and move on.

I disagree. When aggregated across all EV's, extra vampire drain becomes a very meaningful amount of power drain. For a company with an environmentally conscious mission they should be aiming to minimize that as much as possible.

Also, I will add, my ID.4 has basically no vampire drain. I have never noticed an appreciable change in SOC after the car sits. So, with things like gear guard disabled, next to no vampire drain should be possible. So as @jjswan33 suggests, they might have to add configurable options to turn off some sub-systems to achieve lower drain, but it should be possible. It is possible that VW isn't managing the battery well though, and it will degrade as a result. Time will tell

Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I disagree. When aggregated across all EV's, extra vampire drain becomes a very meaningful amount of power drain. For a company with an environmentally conscious mission they should be aiming to minimize that as much as possible.
I never said they shouldn't strive to minimize drain, especially wasteful drain without any purpose or benefit (it appears that was achieved to some extent with this update). My point is that in the real world there is cost-benefit to every endeavor and they should absolutely not go down a rabbit hole to eliminate every minutia of energy drain when that endeavor has it's own use of resources and opportunity cost.
Yeah my eTron is probably in the realm of 0.1%-0.2% (I've never been able to actually have a situation in which to measure it in a full 1% increment), but it's also not as connected as I like to call it a "half EV" (way fewer sensors/cameras, no phone as key, etc.). I think Polestar is around the 0.5% mark. But like I said, depending on the resources needed for them to reduce from 1% to 0.5%, they will have to do an ROI analysis on that.

Put it this way, if it were only 1% loss per 24hrs out of the gate, I'm not sure this thread would even exist, at least to nearly the same degree, other than people new to EVs making the observation. As was shown with actual data from Tesla users by @ajdelange , his experience was 4kwh/day, but the bulk of owners were in the 2kwh/day range, which is still over 2% on the Model X 90D and 1.5% applying that to the Rivian battery size. So there's your benchmark, and brings up the counterpoint, which is at what point is "vampire" drain too low? The goal is certainly not zero or anywhere near it. At some point you're cutting off your nose despite your face and degrading the battery.
Also, keep in mind that they are running much heavier diagnostics right now than they likely will down the road, so that should dissipate some of the drain.

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
FIrst, I've been on the latest update for about two weeks now.

I usually lose about 1% sometimes 2% per night. I checked my camera in the garage last night cause i saw someone else mention the interior lights come on. Sure enough, mine come on about 3 to 4 times a night for about 30 - 45 minutes. Mirrors stay folded and door handles stay in. The exterior cooling are running at this same time.
(Lights on)
Rivian R1T R1S Any tests done on Vampire battery drain? 1652376099320

(Lights off)
Rivian R1T R1S Any tests done on Vampire battery drain? 1652376120664

I usually turn off the AC when i get home but now I'm curious if that runs and the music plays during the same time the lights are one.

One other thing i noticed is the truck does a LOT of data uploading during that time. My guess is it's the nightly gear guard backup.
Rivian R1T R1S Any tests done on Vampire battery drain? 1652376086981

I have a wyze cam that will run off a battery so I'm going to hook that up tonight and see what happens inside the truck.

Last edited:

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
FIrst, I've been on the latest update for about two weeks now.

I usually lose about 1% sometimes 2% per night. I checked my camera in the garage last night cause i saw someone else mention the interior lights come on. Sure enough, mine come on about 3 to 4 times a night for about 30 - 45 minutes. Mirrors stay folded and door handles stay in.
(Lights on)

(Lights off)

I usually turn off the AC when i get home but now I'm curious if that runs and the music plays during the same time the lights are one.

One other thing i noticed is the truck does a LOT of data uploading during that time. My guess is it's the nightly gear guard backup.

I have a wyze cam that will run off a battery so I'm going to hook that up tonight and see what happens inside the truck.
I love it when one machine spies on another. Is the video backed up to the cloud? Can you turn it off? If you wipe off the WiFI connection, does it still wake up?

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I love it when one machine spies on another. Is the video backed up to the cloud? Can you turn it off? If you wipe off the WiFI connection, does it still wake up?
I love technology but skynet's uprising will always make me watch what it's doing :)

As for the gear guard, yeah it uploads everything to the cloud, says so right on the gear guard screen (even though there is currently ZERO WAY to access it from the cloud/phone/anything not the truck). I'm assuming it uses the LTE connection if it doesn't have wifi.

Reactions: Max

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I love technology but skynet's uprising will always make me watch what it's doing :)

As for the gear guard, yeah it uploads everything to the cloud, says so right on the gear guard screen (even though there is currently ZERO WAY to access it from the cloud/phone/anything not the truck). I'm assuming it uses the LTE connection if it doesn't have wifi.
I can see that to become a problem for Rivian if user does not have the option to keep the content offline.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Hold on.

The videos are uploaded? If we delete locally, does it delete up in the cloud?

It makes you wonder if there are other cameras recording and uploading when it isn't locked, i.e. Dash cams...
I'm about to put electrical tape over the camera in the cabin.

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
Hold on.

The videos are uploaded? If we delete locally, does it delete up in the cloud?

It makes you wonder if there are other cameras recording and uploading when it isn't locked, i.e. Dash cams...
I'm about to put electrical tape over the camera in the cabin.
Where is that camera at??

Chilimac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi eTron
Occupation
Retired
So who has the new update?? I'm curious about the following:

1. Improvements to vampire drain (obviously)
  2. The improved self leveling feature - does this make the RTT level for sleeping when parked on uneven terrain?
  3. Any improvements to phone as a key sensitivity?
  4. Any automatic GPS based functions for garage/gate control?
Also, not a recent update question, but does navigation/route planning have the ability to add waypoints or just a single destination?

I have imminent LG/FE delivery (PBA, vehicleID in account).
Have updated to 2022.15.0 software. Had a flight planned and decided to see/risk an airport run and 5 days parking. Charged to 99% for the drive in. Trip is ~80 miles. Drove in Conserve mode with cruise set at 74 mph, very little elevation change and summer weather. When parked at lot R1T had 68% battery charge. Returned 5 days later, battery was at 58%. Drove how I prefer on the return - all purpose mode and 80+ mph. Arrived home with 30%.
So - Vampire drain of 2% per day. Better than before the update. Not sure why driving aggressively on the return didn’t use more battery than the very conservative drive in.
Have not had any issues with the update and the garage door opener works great.

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
First fun find of the night... It seems like it's not actually the dome lights coming on but the IR sensor on the interior camera. I'm guessing it's for the alarm.

This same pic the truck interior is completely dark.

I'll see if anything else turns on in the morning.

Rivian R1T R1S Any tests done on Vampire battery drain? 7C78B285B341_1652420854065

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
First fun find of the night... It seems like it's not actually the dome lights coming on but the IR sensor on the interior camera. I'm guessing it's for the alarm.

This same pic the truck interior is completely dark.

I'll see if anything else turns on in the morning.

7C78B285B341_1652420854065.png
Of course! That's a cool effect how the black headliner reflects almost pure "white" in IR, while all other surfaces up there reflect "black".
Sponsored