Sponsored

Any downside to using the maximum regenerative setting?

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Folks, having driven EV's now since 2015 I will tell you from experience that when you are using regen exclusively, you will build up moisture, road debris, salt, etc. and your rotors will develop layers of rust.

I have had to have the rotors resurfaced on my first EV because I almost never applied mechanical brakes. We get some snow in DC but not that much so it is not because of snow/salt.

Tesla recommends that owners clean and lubricate brake calipers every 12 months if you live in a cold weather part of the country.

Trust me - it's not a bad idea. On the other hand, it is also not a bad idea for you to 1 day a month turn regen off and use the mechanical brakes for your daily driving that day. You will probably have enough friction to keep things clean.
Using the brake pedal does not necessarily mean using the mechanical brakes in a lot of EVs.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Using the brake pedal does not necessarily mean using the mechanical brakes in a lot of EVs.
If you press down far enough it absolutely does.

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Folks, having driven EV's now since 2015 I will tell you from experience that when you are using regen exclusively, you will build up moisture, road debris, salt, etc. and your rotors will develop layers of rust.

I have had to have the rotors resurfaced on my first EV because I almost never applied mechanical brakes. We get some snow in DC but not that much so it is not because of snow/salt.

Tesla recommends that owners clean and lubricate brake calipers every 12 months if you live in a cold weather part of the country.

Trust me - it's not a bad idea. On the other hand, it is also not a bad idea for you to 1 day a month turn regen off and use the mechanical brakes for your daily driving that day. You will probably have enough friction to keep things clean.
I definitely have had more issues with brakes with vehicles that have significant regen braking. I just got my first New York State inspection done and they definitely see rust there already. Is there actually a way to turn off regen? I don't think so. I drove home from the inspection in snow mode as that's the only way you can get "low" regen.

Would be nice to have a way to turn it off to clean rotors and pads once a month as you suggest.

Related: I remember this article from a few years ago suggesting that drum brakes might be preferable to disk brakes for EVs.
https://www.engadget.com/how-the-ri...to-a-resurgence-of-drum-brakes-170000388.html

Ironcitijc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Performance DM R1T Max Pack, BMW X3
Occupation
EV Enthusiast
Clubs

I definitely have had more issues with brakes with vehicles that have significant regen braking. I just got my first New York State inspection done and they definitely see rust there already. Is there actually a way to turn off regen? I don't think so. I drove home from the inspection in snow mode as that's the only way you can get "low" regen.

Would be nice to have a way to turn it off to clean rotors and pads once a month as you suggest.

Related: I remember this article from a few years ago suggesting that drum brakes might be preferable to disk brakes for EVs.
https://www.engadget.com/how-the-ri...to-a-resurgence-of-drum-brakes-170000388.html
Getting rust on the rotors is actually fairly common on EV’s if you rarely use the physical brakes which is why I think it’s recommended to use them periodically. FWIW it served me well during my 8 years of owning a Tesla Model S and minimized any problems.

Sponsored

DRIVIAN

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2020 BMW X3 Xdrive30e
Occupation
Business Strategy Consulting
Clubs

In states where they salt the roads for winter max regen means less brake usage which can lead to rotor corrosion, and in VT, not passing inspection. I keep mine at the lower setting to at least occasionally get my brake calipers on the rotors.
I just failed inspection in VT and am heading to Chelsea for brake work this week. The service center person said they are having this trouble in northern New England. It seems they could, at some interval, via an over-the-air update, use the actual brakes as opposed to regen, as they do now if your battery is too hot or too cold. Or they need to give us the option of shutting regen off entirely, which I'd do once a week or so to keep the rotors from rust buildup.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
someone recently tried to convince me that hi regen means you use MORE kW as you need to accelerate more to regain speed.

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
It seems they could, at some interval, via an over-the-air update, use the actual brakes as opposed to regen, as they do now if your battery is too hot or too cold.
I always wondered what useful purpose the deer and elk served. Finally I know! The purpose of deer and elk, and their helpful intention when they rush onto the road, is to keep our Rivian brakes from rusting.

Thanks for solving the mystery! ;)

R1TCentralMa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Computer Sci Stuff
Odd this old thread is active. I must interject my local SC, Chelsea/MA unexpected comment on this.

My "T", Izzy, is pulling to the right. This started after an accident then the front driverside motor and other parts being replaced. As we discussed the issues I mentioned my preference to have an alignment done at AP - Low, my usual driving pattern. The rep told me no, it must be done in AP - Standard, and he added, "btw" regen is best in Standard as well, per our Eng specs, crew.

So, is max regen detrimental?

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I just failed inspection in VT and am heading to Chelsea for brake work this week. The service center person said they are having this trouble in northern New England. It seems they could, at some interval, via an over-the-air update, use the actual brakes as opposed to regen, as they do now if your battery is too hot or too cold. Or they need to give us the option of shutting regen off entirely, which I'd do once a week or so to keep the rotors from rust buildup.
IT's really easier than that. Once or twice a week, apply the brake as you come to a rolling stop, keeping some pressure on the accelerator. That scrubs the rotors nicely.

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
And don't forget to take your foot off the accelerator pedal before letting off the brake - unless you want to go full Alan Ruck!
Sponsored